• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally I prefer my music sources to not be in the business of censoring content, even content I find deplorable.

Come to think of it, *especially* content I find deplorable. That’s the whole point. Many of us who grew up listening to Joni and Neil have that sort of devotion to free speech.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. (JS Mill. 1978, 16)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Please keep the 'Vax' stuff out of this thread, and all other threads.

This has been brought up repeatedly, and there are still those who feel they need to bring it into any thread they can.

I'm done with the general warnings. Continuing to ignore these admonitions will lead to Forum Bans.

This is not the place.

A bunch of posts deleted.

If this thread can't stay away from the topic, it will be closed.
Note that tightening applies now! It would be damn sad if this thread is locked, I think so anyway.

Accept the moderator's wishes.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
He started it! :)
Are you referring to my question about developing UI Amazon Music? It's been six months since I tested Amazon. It would be fun to hear if there has been any change since then.:)

Otherwise, I do not understand what you mean, Covid? I did not know about ASR policy regarding discussing Covid, but I have learned that now and accept that policy. There are other forums where Covid can be discussed.:)

Last edited:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As a Prime member, it's music presumably would be my most economical choice. However, I may well try Qobuz. Certainly, it's free version sounds fine. It appears to have the quirk of just playing thirty second clips of songs! Went through Barn in about five minutes.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
YOU MONSTER!

whyyes-yesiam-emecrunch-co-why-yes-yes-i-am-51074764.png

BN1

Ok hopefully this is ontopic enough for the thread, Spotify has currently lost around $4bn in market value after the developments of the last few weeks:

It will be interesting to see how Spotify will try to regain user and investor trust in the coming weeks/months. It's not unthinkable they will try to speed up the introduction of some new stuff (lossless after all?) to move past it and bring things in a more positive light.
Wow, I had not seen this. Of course markets are down everywhere and there may be more to the downward spiral of Spotify than just a few musicians leaving the service. Like, for example, their failure to live up to their lossless music promise.

Steamrolly

So, after browsing through this thread, to state the obvious, there are lots of opinions on which streaming services is best for each individuals needs. I dropped Spotify this week initially oblivious to political and social concerns out there, and that is all I will say about that. At this point I am trying Tidal on the 3 month trial and I appreciate that at the same price of Spotify Premium the audio stream is lossless 1411Kbps and not 320Kbps.

Can I hear the difference? I would say that it depends on which system I am using and, from my ability to hear, the difference isn't huge but on my best system there are subtle differences that I only really notice if I focus on what I am listening to. So, while everyone needs to make there own decision, the difference will depend on how and with what you are doing your listening. This may or may not be an important factor in your decision.

As mentioned in this thread, Spotify may have better algorithms for suggesting new artists and is probably the best integrated with other forms social media. For many this is a big plus but for me personally it is not a priority and connection to social media is something I avoid so is actually a negative. My desire for a streaming service is purely music and for that I have enjoyed the ability to experience a much wider variety of artists by using a streaming service. I personally would prefer a service void of podcasts, videos, interviews but I know I am in a minority on that.

When it comes to Amazon and Apple, they really don't need my money and at this point since I am using a RPi as my streaming device, they aren't a great solution for me. From the sounds of things Qobuz may be ideal but it doesn't appear to be set up easy access in for Canada, (I can't find a subscription in $CND) if I am wrong on this maybe some can PM me and let me know how to best get Qobuz in Canada.

So for now I am going with Tidal, time will tell if that is the best solution for my needs or not.

Larry B. Larabee

Wow, I had not seen this. Of course markets are down everywhere and there may be more to the downward spiral of Spotify than just a few musicians leaving the service. Like, for example, their failure to live up to their lossless music promise.
The share price was down 25% in the last month, down 8% in the last week. Not related to the controversy as implied in the article headline.

litemotiv

Yes, it checks out:

He said the price drop is unrelated to the controversy. You can see the stock price was stable from Dec 1 to Jan 15, after that there is a sharp drop. His conclusion about the lack of a relation is therefore not founded, since it correlates to the events of the last few weeks.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

litemotiv

So what happened in November 2021?

This was not so much a drop in Nov, but rather there was an unexpected peak after Q3 as a result of Spotify's positive earnings report (they made a profit in Q3). In Nov it dropped back to it's regular stable price.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for your post Steamrolly.
I am in the UK and have just signed up for a Qobuz trial. Not sure if using it via a Sonos Port is affecting the sound quality. Beethovens 7th sounds identical to Spotify in quality to me. Very good. I imagine Tidal should be as good.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just signed up for Spotify. Free speach is not always pretty but the alternative is always tyranny. Science is about debate and the exchange of ideas not about silencing someone you don't agree with.
Free speech has nothing to do with this. It's commercial decision, nothing more nor less.

Pineapple on pizza, on the other hand, is a sacrilege.

Top Bottom