• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... The only way to directly support artists is to buy their music on Bandcamp (and yes, it is in Flac format)

When I buy from Bandcamp, I select ALAC (aka Apple Lossless Audio Codec) as the format. I thought FLAC was for the freetards and Xiphies? :p

recycle

When I buy from Bandcamp, I select ALAC (aka Apple Lossless Audio Codec) as the format. I thought FLAC was for the freetards and Xiphies? :p
As far as I know, the encoding is the same and so is the sound: that's fine. I guess Apple invented ALAC to have a proprietary format just to have full control on it (the Flac format instead is in the public domain). Well, I prefer Flac: when it happens that I can boycott Apple I always do it with pleasure

Axo1989

Major Contributor
No, the encoding isn't the same. But they are both lossless, so the end result should be. It's been open source since 2011 though.

So I was correct about FLAC? Bandcamp gives you a bunch of formats, including lossy ones. They don't limit to the one you prefer.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Now they are raising the price of my Spotify Premium and this is what Spotify says. Translation of the email I received 30 minutes ago:

"Spotify Premium
The price for Premium Duo changes from SEK 149.00/month to SEK 169.00/month.
($14.3 vs $16.3)

We're raising the price of Premium Duo so we can continue to invest in and innovate our product offerings and features to give you the best experience.

Since you are already a Premium subscriber, you pay SEK 149.00/month until the billing date in September. Then the subscription goes up to the new price.*

Thank you for using Premium!

The Spotify team."

The email:
Screenshot_2023-07-25_075810.jpg

Edit:
Presumably the price increase will not mean that Spotify will introduce lossless quality, but if this is the case, I will find out soon.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-25_094237.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-25_094237.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Other streaming providers may have also raised their fees. It's possible, but I don't know anything about that. Just a guess.:)
Yes, they have.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Amazon just added $1 to their HiFi tier. So I dropped that for now (had been using because of a three-month free trial, which I extended by a month) and am waiting on Spotify again. Frankly, if they put in a big price bump for HiFi, I will probably just keep the regular duo level. We are on a kick to drop our monthly streaming expenses and are letting go a number of our video services for a while to deep-dive HBO Max.

My wife uses Spotify and likes it, so that remains my main streaming platform. Many pluses. I do think they really blew HiFi, there's just no excuse for the big announcement...then crickets...and now a very vague and unclear release and price information. It's like they don't really want to do it...makes me feel the same way, then....

Barrelhouse Solly

I've tried Spotify free. I find the choices very limited. I can't bring myself to pay for a service I'll only listen to in the car. The streaming music I listen to in the car is Otto's Baroque, Document Wireless Radio, and WWOZ. Every now and then I throw in some jazz.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
can't stop what I never started

Barrelhouse Solly

100 million tracks is not enough? ;)
I have what, apparently to the people at Spotify, are esoteric tastes. I've tried playlists of types of music I like and get fewer tracks than a pop music station has in its playlist. There are maybe 30 or 40 that repeat over and over sometimes for a couple of weeks. I could play 2 CDs on random and get the same variety. I'm not surprised though. That's why I've stuck to stuff I own since the '70s. I'm sure others have a different experience.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have what, apparently to the people at Spotify, are esoteric tastes. I've tried playlists of types of music I like and get fewer tracks than a pop music station has in its playlist. There are maybe 30 or 40 that repeat over and over sometimes for a couple of weeks. I could play 2 CDs on random and get the same variety. I'm not surprised though. That's why I've stuck to stuff I own since the '70s. I'm sure others have a different experience.
I mostly play albums and rarely, if ever, stream a playlist. So yes, I have a different experience. That said, I can see how Spotify’s playlists (or playlists on any streaming service) might not be satisfactory for those whose tastes are eclectic or outside of the mainstream.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it that the music isn't there in their library to be had or that their pre made playlists don't have much on?

I loathe their playlists as they insist on pigeonholing everything. But as far as available content I find their library second to none. Unless you like and want Neil Young, Joni M and the other refuseniks.

Barrelhouse Solly

Is it that the music isn't there in their library to be had or that their pre made playlists don't have much on?

I loathe their playlists as they insist on pigeonholing everything. But as far as available content I find their library second to none. Unless you like and want Neil Young, Joni M and the other refuseniks.
Probably because I've only used it in the car I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for individual tracks. Also I listen to a fair amount of baroque and early music so the individual track approach doesn't work well with that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom