• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you buy headphones from an over priced vacuum cleaner manufacturer?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear they're the clear leader in air purifying headphones.

threni

Major Contributor
I'm sure it'll appeal to some audiotools. Jecklin Float owners, maybe?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
OK, those are weird. But we love our Dyson vacuum cleaners, as overpriced as they might have been. :)

ugur38

I think some subjective audiophiles who think they have superhuman ears will buy it and say "The clean air I breathe is also cleaning the sound I get it from ear canals and this makes music more clear"

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Sure, if they sound good and test good! And if they don't have the silly air filter... :p

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet they'll be "Big in Japan".

2021-08-02T004515Z_1514264019_RC2NWO99F61E_RTRMADP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-JAPAN-1.jpg

notsodeadlizard

The reviewer is catastrophically unprofessional (professionalism does not allow expressing one's attitude to the reviewed product), and the biggest nonsense is not those weird and even funny overpriced headphones at all, but the "merch" of nobody-cares-about channel. Such a crap is really funny.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Good review with plenty of good points raised. However, their medical expert failed to mention a basic point about air delivery. When we are breathing quietly, we inhale about 500mL of air in just under a second. This means that the air delivery system needs to instantaneously supply 30L/min when we inhale. If we breathe 14 times a minute, that's less than 14 seconds where the high flow rate is required, and the rest of the time the fan is working for nothing. For context, the Dyson hair dryer supplies 40L/min and that is mains powered and makes a lot of noise. I was unable to find the flow rate of the headphone, but I doubt if it is anything close to 30L/min because it would very quickly dry out your nostrils, mouth, and eyes. Not to mention, it would be pretty unpleasant if it was winter and it was blowing cold air at your face since it would strip off the boundary layer of air on top of your skin and increase evaporation (see wet bulb temperature) and make you feel even colder.

IF it is unable to supply the required flow rate ... well, the unit is not sealed so you breathe in unfiltered air from the environment. What this means is: at best, maybe the first 100mL of your 500mL breath will be purified air. All this depends on the flow rate, which I don't know because the specs aren't published. The rest of it will be regular, unfiltered air.

TL, DR: they won't work, and they don't have a hope of working.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TL, DR: they won't work, and they don't have a hope of working.
I have to think this is simply a feel-good item for a certain type of people.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Usual Dyson shite plastic and just as effective at spreading germs and viruses as his hand dryers. He’s a knob.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we have all seen large organizations dysfunction with worse results , but in this instance , I do think Dyson knows it is useless as a product but a gem as a marketing tool, and are using it as such. It is a great conversation starter that gets people to talk about Dyson and their other functional products. It has been reviewed and talked about by all major tech channels and cost them nothing. Case in point.

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
images

I have a Dyson V11 absolute and the recurring problem on these vacuums is the ****** plastic trigger that systematically breaks after a few months of use ... Dyson knows perfectly well the problem but does not assume ... mine is no longer under warranty I found a reinforced trigger on amazon and spent half a day has disassembled and reassembled this vacuum cleaner sold very expensive but with plastic shit ...

If they make a headphone it will also be crap sold at a high price .

Keith_W

Major Contributor
images

I have a Dyson V11 absolute and the recurring problem on these vacuums is the ****** plastic trigger that systematically breaks after a few months of use ... Dyson knows perfectly well the problem but does not assume ... mine is no longer under warranty I found a reinforced trigger on amazon and spent half a day has disassembled and reassembled this vacuum cleaner sold very expensive but with plastic shit ...

If they make a headphone it will also be crap sold at a high price .

I have the new V15 Gen 5 Detect Absolute. You will be pleased to learn that they replaced that plastic trigger with an on/off button.

Also, I should expand on the point about medical air delivery systems. The reason they work is because they have a reservoir. When you are not breathing, the fan / air pump fills up the reservoir, and the reservoir empties when you breathe in. In some cases the suit itself is the reservoir. This allows them to get away with much lower flow rates and provide more effective filtration. If one really cared about breathing filtered air, you would be wearing a helmet which seals off your air to the environment. That is actually not such a terrible idea, I can imagine that motorcyclists who have smog blown in their face by buses would be interested. Imagine if Dyson made a filtered helmet for motorcyclists, that would actually be practical and nobody would be laughing at them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I do think Dyson knows it is useless as a product but a gem as a marketing tool, and are using it as such.

This was an April Fool's joke last year IIRC. Can't believe they dredged it up again and actually made a few.

Don't get me started on their absolute garbage vacuum cleaners. :facepalm:

Top Bottom