• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will we see Yamaha RX-A8A / A6A review here soon?

diablo

Forum Donor
I had intending waiting for Amir to review an A8A before deciding what to buy for my cinema room upgrade. Though circumstance decided that I needed the cinema room A2080 elsewhere and the A8A just arrived at a UK dealer yesterday. So I ordered one and it arrived this morning.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to offer mine for testing. :) In fact I'm hoping it doesn't get reviewed, coz I may find out I've bought a pile of junk. :D

Mine works but not testing it as yet - waiting a long time (90 minutes and counting) while new firmware downloads.

EB1000

A6A measurements are coming soon to Audiophilics, but so far, it looks like Yamaha haven't learned anything from past mistakes. SINAD is 66 to 80dB. Gene is holding back the results until Yamaha engineers come up with a good excuse for them...

I'd lower my expectations...

diablo

Forum Donor
A6A measurements are coming soon to Audiophilics, but so far, it looks like Yamaha haven't learned anything from past mistakes. SINAD is 66 to 80dB. Gene is holding back the results until Yamaha engineers come up with a good excuse for them...

I'd lower my expectations...
It does seem odd that the centre channel and two of the other channels have worse THD+N measurements. Though we aren't told the specifics of how the measurements were carried out.

IMG_1107.jpg

Though, looking at the manual it seems that even the worst ones are in spec upto just short of 4v balanced(?) output.

Still sounds pretty good to me, so I won't be boxing up my A8A and sending it back. :)

Last edited:

diablo

Forum Donor
New firmware notice popped up.

I usually prefer to let someone else test out new firmware, but have started the install. Hopefully won't brick it. :)

Didn't take long. Version 1.22

EB1000

67dB of SINAD on Center and main surround channels HDMI to pre out even in pure direct mode! I'd stay away from this AVR!

clone1008

67dB of SINAD on Center and main surround channels HDMI to pre out even in pure direct mode! I'd stay away from this AVR!

I see your mission continues in this thread also huh?

Top Bottom