• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Topping ever make a Phono Preamp?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would certainly hope not.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it seems unlikely to me Topping would in audio’s current state. Hardcore vinyl heads would be tough to convince that their $2000 cartridge sounds as good with a $99 preamp. I suppose the hipster who thinks his dad’s Supertramp vinyl sounds cool might be a market. But probably not too much of one. Hard to have any kind of crystal ball years from now.

OP
theron_day

theron_day

it seems unlikely to me Topping would in audio’s current state. Hardcore vinyl heads would be tough to convince that their $2000 cartridge sounds as good with a $99 preamp. I suppose the hipster who thinks his dad’s Supertramp vinyl sounds cool might be a market. But probably not too much of one. Hard to have any kind of crystal ball years from now.
im looking for a great performing preamp with phono. Schiit Freya+ did not make the cut when I auditioned !

Leiker535

That would be the my immediate too weren't for the fact that the Schiit Mani exists and those audiophiles rave about it nonetheless. Topping would also have to contend with the fact that they're not american though, as I found that "buy american" influences the analog (and subjectivist) niche more than people would like to admit.

mike70

I don't think the "hardcore digital" guys are much more different, really:)

They will buy an expensive 2k DAC over topping without a doubt ... and for the same reasons mentioned about cartridges/preamps.

deadwood83

I don't think the "hardcore digital" guys are much more different, really:)

They will buy an expensive 2k DAC over topping without a doubt ... and for the same reasons mentioned about cartridges/preamps.
as much as I would love to see a topping pre that surpasses the medium (and hence is end-game) for a reasonable price.... Topping seems to aim for the budget-conscious sound enjoyer. I am not sure if 'budget conscious' and 'good vinyl' align very often.

MCH

Major Contributor
as much as I would love to see a topping pre that surpasses the medium (and hence is end-game) for a reasonable price.... Topping seems to aim for the budget-conscious sound enjoyer. I am not sure if 'budget conscious' and 'good vinyl' align very often.
I am going to disagree there

We see topping releasing DACs and headphone amps in the 700-900 eur bracket more often than not these days, and on the other hand, the best ever performing phono preamp measured here (CA Alva Duo) costs 350 eur. I feel the chance and price bracket is the right one for them.
The only outrageous prices in the vinyl world that are more difficult (but not impossible) to avoid for the enthusiasts are those of new albums releases, holly molly! but that's a different problem...

Now, if a potential superb measuring topping phono preamp is going to appeal to the vinyl audience, I guess nobody knows. My vote goes for yes. I don’t think objectivists and subjectivists camps are completely apart and also I don’t think vinyl audience is 100% in the subjectivists side. There is a huge grey area of subjectivists with an eye open to what measurements say and objectivists that enjoy “inferior formats”. Even Amir has a reel to reel tape player in a prominent place in his setup!!

mike70

The "hardcore guys" in the audiophile world are the same ... with digital / analog / whatever. They like audio jewelry and big price tag. Done. Maybe some people here only talks with other objectivists (and it's ok), but let me say that's not the reality.

I really enjoy the analog format and appreciate good stuff with decent quality / price ratio, but reality have all the colors ... With many i don't share the point of view, but I respect all of them.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
The "hardcore guys" in the audiophile world are the same ... with digital / analog / whatever. They like audio jewelry and big price tag. Done. Maybe some people here only talks with other objectivists (and it's ok), but let me say that's not the reality.

I really enjoy the analog format and appreciate good stuff with decent quality / price ratio, but reality have all the colors ... With many i don't share the point of view, but I respect all of them.
My 2 cents, you're fighting the wrong battle. Sure, we're all the same, we're all people. But crossing from one trench to another is not that easy, asks for a lot of marketing and doesn't promise return.

mike70

My 2 cents, you're fighting the wrong battle. Sure, we're all the same, we're all people. But crossing from one trench to another is not that easy, asks for a lot of marketing and doesn't promise return.

I'm not fighting any battle ... only expressing my point of view. Surely many doesn't share it .. and it's ok.

Audio for me is a hobby, nothing more.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'm not fighting any battle ... only expressing my point of view. Surely many doesn't share it .. and it's ok.

Audio for me is a hobby, nothing more.
Oh, it's a hobby for you... You don't say! :) I'm just kiddin' and the battle is a figure of speech. I hope you didn't actually think I imagine you fighting.

It supposed to mean that there is no need proving that all across audio people will do some similar things and make some similar decisions, we all agree on that. However, since the question here is Topping making phono pre-amp, it is sensible to ask the question of whether it would sell.

So, regardless of some buying 2k DACs, do you see a market large enough for Topping to invest in?

MCH

Major Contributor
So, regardless of some buying 2k DACs, do you see a market large enough for Topping to invest in?
Topping just released a 8 channel USB only balanced only DAC. Pretty unique product that i am vey glad it exists, but so niche of the niche that makes any phono stage look like a mass production item besides it

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not,they even include tube and tranzistor distortion modes in their designs.

Which is in no way related to an actual phono pre-amp. Adding some such DSP into their existing top end DA products is something of a sop to tweakers and those that like such effects (assuming they are actually audible). Thats a very different proposition from investing in the design and manufacture of a new product in an area of the sector they dont currently play in.

Where would such a product be aimed? At those that currently have some kind of pre amp built into their TT? Those that currently use an inbuilt phono input on an integrated or pre-amp? Or those that already have a standalone phono amp? Or possibly those that want a digital output to go to their current DAC?

How many of the people in each of those target groups would look twice at a Topping unit ? And at what price would it have to be pitched for each group to tempt them? The last of those groups would be the only one I can see being of interest to Topping

I very, very much doubt Topping would go anywhere near a unit with a $200 price point and I dont think the market would go anywhere near one with a $500-$700 tag. Their growth and strong presence at the minute has no doubt been fuelled by the desktop/ headfi boom the past few years. Moving into the vinyl space just doesnt feel aligned to that.

mike70

Oh, it's a hobby for you... You don't say! :) I'm just kiddin' and the battle is a figure of speech. I hope you didn't actually think I imagine you fighting.

It supposed to mean that there is no need proving that all across audio people will do some similar things and make some similar decisions, we all agree on that. However, since the question here is Topping making phono pre-amp, it is sensible to ask the question of whether it would sell.

Everytime i thought the answer is "no" ... i saw a brand new preamp in the market.
Now, maybe you can understand my point of view ... or, it's ok, forget about it. i'm listening to a great "The Cars" record right now. Perfect.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Topping just released a 8 channel USB only balanced only DAC. Pretty unique product that i am vey glad it exists, but so niche of the niche that makes any phono stage look like a mass production item besides it
But a niche that wasn't exactly filled before, no? You DO have a gazillion phono-preamps.

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Everytime i thought the answer is "no" ... i saw a brand new preamp in the market.
Now, maybe you can understand my point of view ... or, it's ok, forget about it. i'm listening to a great "The Cars" record right now. Perfect.
If you didn't understand my question, you can just say so. No need to act rude.

mike70

If you didn't understand my question, you can just say so. No need to act rude.

????

Have a nice day @killdozzer ... I don't have any intention to be rude. Simpler life is all what we need ... much more than a DAC or preamp.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Which is in no way related to an actual phono pre-amp. Adding some such DSP into their existing top end DA products is something of a sop to tweakers and those that like such effects (assuming they are actually audible). Thats a very different proposition from investing in the design and manufacture of a new product in an area of the sector they dont currently play in.

Where would such a product be aimed? At those that currently have some kind of pre amp built into their TT? Those that currently use an inbuilt phono input on an integrated or pre-amp? Or those that already have a standalone phono amp? Or possibly those that want a digital output to go to their current DAC?

How many of the people in each of those target groups would look twice at a Topping unit ? And at what price would it have to be pitched for each group to tempt them? The last of those groups would be the only one I can see being of interest to Topping

I very, very much doubt Topping would go anywhere near a unit with a $200 price point and I dont think the market would go anywhere near one with a $500-$700 tag. Their growth and strong presence at the minute has no doubt been fuelled by the desktop/ headfi boom the past few years. Moving into the vinyl space just doesnt feel aligned to that.
There lots and lots of cheap phono preamps and having one more with better measurements but CHEAP (that's the whole purpose) won't hurt.
There very little components needed to make a phono premp,the form factor can be small and all that cost can make the investment very cheap so it wont hurt if it doesn't sell thousands.
The DSP mentioned above has a target I think...
And it's NOT we the objectivists.
The will is there,even if it don't sells for the standard audiophile who wants big form factor,etc.

mike70

There lots and lots of cheap phono preamps and having one more with better measurements but CHEAP (that's the whole purpose) won't hurt.
There very little components needed to make a phono premp,the form factor can be small and all that cost can make the investment very cheap so it wont hurt if it doesn't sell thousands.
The DSP mentioned above has a target I think...
And it's NOT we the objectivists.
The will is there,even if it don't sells for the standard audiophile who wants big form factor,etc.

I know almost nothing about electronics ... but ... if you can get a digital chip and add an analog section (a DAC) with 90dB SINAD (or more) ... why the "better" phono preamps we can see are almost 70-80 db SINAD? (i know, i know, maybe is more complicated, but i'm only guessing from my ignorance).
Remember that the cambridge duo measured the best with a higher gain than the others, so was retired from the result table ... the "best" we can see is 80dB.

If Topping makes a 90dB SINAD preamp under 400 usd ... i think is a blockbuster.

Top Bottom