• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will the M-DAC /F-DAC / Superior /Detox ever appear?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Background story is an audio engineer has been asking for contributions for a 'super' DAC, this project started five years ( I believe ) ago, five years, and nothing produced yet, along the way there have been numerous design changes iterations, other products which also have never seen the light .
I just sincerely hope that something is produced eventually, but it seems to me that every time the design is finalised another addition version is discussed and hence another delay.
The designer has a huge and devout fan club and hardly anyone appears to mind , human nature is truly bizarre.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Funny enough they will become even more committed ( there is a pun there lol) after reading threads
Iike these.

Humans!

Oh, Keith .. This is a bit of a obsession of yours ain't it! You often bring it up and now we have a thread too :D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I genuinely hope the designer does eventually produce a product but five years and a continually changing set of specifications, plus the interjection of other products no other engineer/manufacturer I know would possibly design this way.
His fans though are totally devoted and don't seem to mind a bit.
Keith.

D

Deleted member 65

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

Had the AudioLab MDAC, sold it when John Westlake's crowdfunded project took a new turn. Completely new DAC (FDAC) instead of a new replacement board for the MDAC.

I'm still part of the crowd that has funded the development so far, no more development funds are requested.

@Keith
" ...... The designer has a huge and devout fan club and hardly anyone appears to mind , human nature is truly bizarre."

Well, John is a very nice, devoted & skilled engineer who's freely sharing his knowledge, something to learn from I believe ... ;-)

I've offered to PM the project on many occasions, however this has not been accepted. No PM, scope creep and some derailments been main reasons for delays. My high level guesswork some six months back was FDAC production Q2 2017, now seems a bit overoptimistic.

However I've since long decided to lean back and whatever will be will be ... (Doris Day?)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Lars Hi, yes I have read some of your posts on the thread, how much have people committed to the project, have you all paid the final instalment or is it also a rolling cost?
Keith

D

Deleted member 65

Lars Hi, yes I have read some of your posts on the thread, how much have people committed to the project, have you all paid the final instalment or is it also a rolling cost?
Keith

I don't think it's appropriate by me to comment on the financial part of the project, suggest you turn directly to John on the other forum.

PS: I'm Blueprinted by the ethic codes of HAL DS

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How long will you continue to wait for the product do you suppose?
Keith.

D

Deleted member 65

How long will you continue to wait for the product do you suppose?
Keith.

Since it's only a waiting game now, I have all the time in the world. I have four DAC's at the moment, contemplating a fifth as a hobby project (improving the Gustard X20 or the LKS)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I genuinely hope the designer does eventually produce a product but five years and a continually changing set of specifications, plus the interjection of other products no other engineer/manufacturer I know would possibly design this way.

If memory serves, the Emotiva XMC-1 had an exceptionally loooooong gestation period, like, 5 years or so, from the time you could pre-order it

Earliest mention March 2008, shipped June 2014

D

Deleted member 65

If memory serves, the Emotiva XMC-1 had an exceptionally loooooong gestation period, like, 5 years or so, from the time you could pre-order it

Earliest mention March 2008, shipped June 2014

Schiit's Yggdrasil is in the same ballpark

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I thought member BE was using the M-DAC???

Hi

Yes I am. I bought into the original idea of John producing an upgrade board for the MDAC. Thats all it was ever meant to be, a low cost upgrade which I stumped up a small amount to essentially crowd fund. After about 3 years of "development" John decided it had to be a full new product and costs have spiralled. It has been re-designed so many times I have lost count. Another year on there is still no sign of it.

its got to the point where my requirements have really moved on from this even if it does eventually appear. Its a pretty sorry affair all round IMO, but the PFM thread is full of fan boys so descent is not tolerated.

Oh well....live and learn.....

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Lars and Alan, Thomas is correct it is a particular hobby horse of mine !
I just find it difficult to reconcile the fanboyism with a five year wait for a product , I can't think of any other area where such a situation would be tolerated, 'halo' bias in overdrive.
Keith.

D

Deleted member 65

Thanks Lars and Alan, Thomas is correct it is a particular hobby horse of mine !
I just find it difficult to reconcile the fanboyism with a five year wait for a product , I can't think of any other area where such a situation would be tolerated, 'halo' bias in overdrive.
Keith.

Keith,

No fanboy, just learnt over the years to relax & preserve energy in situations where I'm outside the circle of control, circle of direct influence & circle of indirect influence.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Lars I know you are not a fanboy, you have been one of the few critical contributors, but my question is, will you keep contributing financially when the next amendment rears its head and just how long are you prepared to wait for an actual product?
Keith.

Top Bottom