• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Sundara benefit from more power beyond what can Modi\Magni stack provide?

domijack281

I backordered Modius\Magnius but the wait is long and wonder if this stack isn't overkill. Also went for Magnius instead of Asgard3 because these are only balanced headphones I use and already have balanced cable. If Magni and Modi is all I need, then would cancel cancel order and use some of the savings to get nice SE headphones cable to replace SE stock from Hifiman.

I am sure with either its plenty loud, as I already have hip-dac for them, but if this balanced stack boosts in clarity, soundstage and response on low end then I am happy to wait. I am not concerned with compromised SE output on Magnius.

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To answer the question in the title, no. The Sundaras exhibit a sensitivity of 94dB/1mW and the Magni 3 is capable of delivering approximately 2,000mW into a 37 Ohm load.

Balanced amplification simply enables greater power delivery. It does nothing else.

OP
D

domijack281

To answer the question in the title, no. The Sundaras exhibit a sensitivity of 94dB/1mW and the Magni 3 is capable of delivering approximately 2,000mW into a 37 Ohm load.

Balanced amplification simply enables greater power delivery. It does nothing else.
Thanks, you save me money to use toward buying planarmagnetic IEMs Tin P1.

fluufy

I have Magni Heresy and SMSL SH-9. Both will drive my Sundara and Fostex T60rp very nicely indeed. In fact the Heresy has a touch more grunt than the SH-9.

OP
D

domijack281

Is it worh to poney up more for multi-bit? And does it pair better with Magni+ or Heresey?

looks like their MB is on 12-16 weeks of backorder though. More than likely would have to order them separately and feed the amp from 3.5mm jack using 3.5mm to rca cable while waiting for multibit. I have late 2014 Mac mini which according to its specs is able to output max 1.4V analog (well its also capable of optical using 3.5mm toslink and while I don’t have optical to analog converter it’s to get cheap one on Amazon for around $10 ).

Last edited:
OP
D

domijack281

There is a review of Schiit Multibit in Jotumheim here (same as Modi Multibit). Measured a bit shit. A new Modi 3+ did much better, I have that stacked with a Heresy (both in black), sounds good and looks good.
Its little unclear if the worse measurement observed in modular MM DAC is due to inheritely it being multibit or because of the modular form factor or power output 1.4V which was also disqualifying AK4490 Modular chips in Asgard3 but the Modi 3+ with proper RCA output actually outperformed the MOD dac. It would be more clear from the measuremenets if this was actually Modi 2 Multibit reviewed.

OP
D

domijack281

A nicer cable does not improve SQ.
Was thinking it more in terms of being lighter and more flexible and also being more modular. Heard good things about Hart Audio cable and more reasonably priced than competition. Altough for now I will just stick with my Newftantasia SPC cable and just get 4.4mm to 6.35mm adapter.

OP
D

domijack281

Alright guys,

I pulled the trigger and ordered Schiit Modi3+ and Magni Heresy. Also good quality Straight Wire RCA cable that doesnt come across as cheap junk with potential RF shielding issue or overpriced snake oil.

Perhaps someday when Schiit releases updated Multibit DAC with Unisom USB interface in black color in stock, I will order it and sell Modi3+.

OP
D

domijack281

That stack will serve you well. The only “mod” I made is to put some tape over the light on the Modi - it is bright :)
I had to do it on my hdmi switcher on my computer desk in bedroom.
Only missing is software EQ to boost bass and tame treble spike in Sundara, eqMac has issue on Big Sur. There is $20 Mac software that has been mentioned and forgot its name. I have been using so far xbass on my hipdac to bring up bass.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had to do it on my hdmi switcher on my computer desk in bedroom.
Only missing is software EQ to boost bass and tame treble spike in Sundara, eqMac has issue on Big Sur. There is $20 Mac software that has been mentioned and forgot its name. I have been using so far xbass on my hipdac to bring up bass.
SoundSource is the name of the utility and I would highly recommend it. Among numerous other useful functions, it includes direct AutoEQ database integration.

1627867991952.png

Top Bottom