• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock LIVE at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you’re only sending the message that their actions are okay.
If Will Smith is criminalized for this that would be horrible. It could happen. It would not be the first time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And the message that their actions get no response, their insult is worthless; they are not important
I studied judo for some years and the first thing we where taught/advised is to avoid fighting if possible and to use it for defense. If harm is going to occur to oneself or those around then of course use it but otherwise avoid violence if at all possible. I used judo on peeps that where assaulting me or with a impending knife attack (The guy was fishing through the kitchen knife drawer and was threatening us.) and otherwise insults and threats are like water off a duck's back with me. I just take it and don't let it get under my skin. Will Smith needs to have some counseling to advise him that this is the first order of the day in the circumstance he was in last night. Otherwise I like Will Smith.

Jimshoe

the first thing we where taught/advised is to avoid fighting if possible and to use it for defense.
Wise words. Violence is an absolute last resort. To instigate it is never the right choice.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wise words. I have studied (and now teach) Aikido and agree violence is an absolute last resort. To instigate it is never the right choice.
Hehe. I met a guy that was seemingly proficient in Aikido and he was showing me his stuff. It was unpredictable and I had no idea what was coming and when it did it involved pain and a overwhelming desire to get away from the guy but by that time it was too late. I was interested in it for a few years and considered making it a study/hobby. :D It's kinda rare to find here from the searches that I did. Now I am too interested in other hobby stuff to get involved and all that stuff is not really in the forefront of my mind now. :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If Will Smith is criminalized for this that would be horrible. It could happen. It would not be the first time.
Not being prosecuted doesn't stop him being criminalised. He has committed a criminal act. Assault and battery under UK law I think, I don't know the US equivalent - felony assault?

Either way, he's criminalized himself.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not being prosecuted doesn't stop him being criminalised. He has committed a criminal act. Assault and battery under UK law I think, I don't know the US equivalent - felony assault?

Either way, he's criminalized himself.
He definitely crossed the line. I would not be surprised if there is future legal stuff happening with this.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kayfabe. And worked as intended- everyone is suddenly talking about the Oscars and their ratings soared ten minutes after the "incident."
I was thinking the exact same thing. I didn't even watch the show; I haven't for decades, since my parents watched them when I was a kid. I did notice, however, that when I was on the Stairmaster at the gym today every news channel was talking about the Oscars. If it wasn't staged I'd be surprised.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a bad joke (assuming he knew her condition). But yeah, doesn’t warrant the slap.

As for the music award portion: Billie Eilish won Best Original Song for James Bond and Hans Zimmer won Best Original Score for Dune.

The Oscar producers are probably loving it, I’m a school teacher and every period today it was brought up by students.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like when Jerry Lawler beat up Andy Kaufman?
Wow. The first time I saw this was just now. He really belted that guy. Was it real or more Andy Kaufman performance art?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Wow. The first time I saw this was just now. He really belted that guy. Was it real or more Andy Kaufman performance art?
It was as real or unreal as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was as real or unreal as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.
It's got to be more Andy Kaufman messing with peoples' minds as usual. :facepalm: He was annoying that way. I missed most of it because I was occupied putting myself through college and thankfully so. :D

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those defending Will, come on, he is a 52yr old man who should know better. Chris, like him or not (I don't) is a comedian and Will's friend. This nonsense defending him because of his wife's so called medical condition is a little bit of a stretch, this is what comedians do.
If we keep restricting comedians on what they can and can-not joke about, comedy is doomed.

Also, the joke was not about her condition, it was a backhanded jab at comparing her to Demi Moore, when she cheated on Bruce with Ashton while making G.I. Jane. Because of all of Jada's past indiscretions, one may consider it bad timing or a bad joke, regardless it's just a joke. Even if you think it was about her Alopecia, if you have listened to Jada or her mother, they didn't like how the doctors told her this came about. To many wigs, weaves, glue, etc
Either way, we should not keep rewarding bad behavior. You could possibly somewhat understand this if it came from some youngster who didn't know any better. But at 52 if you have not learned any self-control, there is no excuse.
Anyhow, it does appear now the slap was real, and Will, will be losing his Oscar. Which in a way is ironic seeing how this year, because of this incident, was probably their highest ratings in a long time.

Last edited:

JWAmerica

Totally fake. Rock leaned into it with his hands behind his back and Smith threw a very weak and rather effeminate slap.

TimF

Forum Donor
So at the Oscar awards show we saw people turning into violent jack-asses and mean fools IN A HEART BEAT. That how it is folks. In a heart beat someone can turn on you and come at you. That is America exactly. Give a guy like that a semi auto pistol or assault rifle he can shoot off twenty to thirty rounds in a matter of seconds.
Will Smith
It is not a small thing. It is not appropriate in the least--it should not occur, it should not become acceptable in the least. There must be a public response. The event and act cannot and should not become normalized.
Suppose there is a university graduation ceremony, and they are formal events, and one of the top honor students in the front row stood up and walked brazenly up to the speaker or the Dean officiating the event and slapped him/her forcefully. Suppose at an Easter Service at a major Cathedral that a senior priest walked brazenly up to the officiating Bishop and slapped the Bishop with vigor. Suppose at the Guthrie theater that an audience member walked onto the stage and slapped one of the leading actors.
Suppose you go into Target and walk up to a cashier and brazenly slap the person. Suppose you go into a city council meeting and walk up to a city council member and slap that person. Suppose at a local candidates forum you walk up to a candidate making a speech and slapped that person with full vigor.
Who the hell does Will Smith think he is? If you aren't shocked then you have taken in so much violence and bought into it that it has become for you a way of life in the USA.
The Oscar awards are tantamount to the most significant ceremonial event of the year for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. They are like an Easter and Christmas service combined. Will Smith publicly shat on stage during their event last week. It is important that they respond, and I don't mean important for Hollywood, I mean important to the USA.
Slap a cop sometime. See how that goes for you. How would you respond if Will Smith has slapped a woman or if he had shouted obscenities at a woman emcee?
At any pro sports events or during the last game of March Madness walk brazenly out onto the floor and slap one of the referees. What happens in any and all sports immediately when a player on any team purposefully strikes a referee or umpire or line judge? You damn will know what will happen. Those things just don't happen BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS CERTAINTY OF THE IMMEDIATE IMPACT OF SUCH AN ACTION AND THERE IS NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER THAT THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE IMMEDIATE AND SEVERE.
The question now is, Is Will Smith a god?

If an ass hole male celebrity walked up out of the audience and full on slapped a female presenter and if that man was allowed to go back to his seat and enjoy the show do you think that women should sue for a lot of money, and rightfully so? Damn right! Tell me one professional theater in the USA that would allow an audience member to strike a performer on stage and then return to their seat to enjoy the show. It was the performer who was belittled and demeaned. Really so!! This time we got to see a Harvey Weinstein type assault right in front of our eyes and we all backed down to the criminal behavior and we are still backing down and denying what we say. And Weinstein and Cosby got away with assault for years and years and years. We're all guilty of being cowards.

Again, I say to you if it is 'just a slap" then go to a Target store and slap a cashier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom