• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock LIVE at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It really would have made the moment if the whole audience started chanting "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry". ;)

There is no indication since photos together in 2015 that the three of them are not friends still actually... I wonder, not likely, but is there a remote possibility this was staged privately? Chris almost seemed to be waiting for it... and it was an actors slap for sure, very body physical. They're all actors, great at pretending and crying on cue... especially one that wins the best actor award.

Whatever is the case, the whole event means massive exposure for the Oscars and Will Smith's movie in a financially declining industry.

JSmith
I kinda think it was staged as well. Great way to boost interest in a flagging annual event and three flagging careers. Almost no one watches this anymore. It's not really a thing at all. I mean who gives a flying f**** who the old fossils at the academy think is "Oscar worthy."

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chris Rock doesn’t need to say that he isn’t pressing charges. That is a civil matter.

This is a criminal matter and there is ample evidence for the DA to press charges against Will Smith.
That's right. In Canada the coppers have charged hockey players with assault. The 2 hockey players that where fighting never called the coppers. If they see something that is blatantly obviously violent they go after it.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7E7BCCF5-3596-4161-B818-631EF41099F4.jpeg

Andrew Garfield texting the other Peter Parkers to see if Will Smith slapped Chris Rock in their universes too

F

freemansteve

Oooh, how I abhor violence...

Especially when a guy can't make a proper fist to sort out a twat.....

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
and, damn...the first time i saw it from that angle, i thought out loud "why's that prick hitting Muhammad Ali"? :eek:

but then i realized that it was just a "comedian" that was never really funny and someone cuckolded into oblivion, having a beef...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall when John Wayne extracted his wife of the time from a situation in which she was making a fool of herself, which required John Wayne to be , well, John Wayne. He was concerned the next day that he had made a terrible mistake, and his agent told him that nobody would ever judge him for behaving in character.

Who knows what is and isn't real, and I really don't much care. But I sorta hope it was real.

Rick "who thought the verbal followup far more childish than the pop on the jaw" Denney

Jimshoe

I don't blame him, when it comes to my partner 'rational thought' is like number 9 on the list of my priorities.

I would slap someone for much less, yet along making fun of someone's MEDICAL CONDITION.

The only thing that makes this 'looks bad' is that one of the parties involved is famous.
What about how your partner might want to react (or not)? Or is it all about you?

Good grief, an insult is just words. Are you so easily manipulated?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about how your partner might want to react (or not)? Or is it all about you?

so if someone verbally assaulted your partner you would politely ask them to stop?

Yet along on a podium viewed by Millions...

In my eyes not reacting would be worse than reacting.

Liya

What one said and the other did is just right for this kind of event. I see no conflict.

Liya

I kinda think it was staged as well. Great way to boost interest in a flagging annual event and three flagging careers. Almost no one watches this anymore. It's not really a thing at all. I mean who gives a flying f**** who the old fossils at the academy think is "Oscar worthy."
Yeah, I thought it may be the case. However, if it isn't Smith can't hit.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So...
* Flagging interest in the movies for a couple of years (for obvious reasons).
* Even more flagging (flagginger?) interest in awards shows in general, and the Oscars (and Golden Globes) in particular (also for obvious, albeit different reasons).
* "Edgy" comedian with some pointed material.
* Guy up for an Oscar -- a big one.
* These folks make a living by pretending.
* What is everyone talking about today?

We may never know, of course, but (and FWIW)
I believe it was very likely -- shall we say -- performance art.

Not like roller derby and professional wrestling, of course. That stuff is completely on the up-and-up.

Jimshoe

so if someone verbally assaulted your partner you would politely ask them to stop?
My partner and I would both think them an idiot and not worth our attention.

MUCH more important stuff to worry about in life than what other people think.

ta240

Major Contributor

And it was a comedian on stage, that is what they do. They find people to pick on. Steve Harvey once told a contestant he'd just made fun of on Family Feud that if he could make the audience laugh at their expense that he'd do it every time. Perhaps if you don't have the wit for a good comeback or the ability to laugh at yourself then don't go to events hosted by comedians. Sure, with the added knowledge of her condition it was in bad taste but that could have been a low-key learning moment for everyone just by explaining that later.
BTW, here is his initial reaction to the joke:
temp.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It was very rude of Chris Rock to say what he said and he should know better but as you say they are only words in passing that have no real damage other than making Chris Rock look like a bonehead. I would have let it be and let Chris Rock continue making a idiot of himself and take it up later.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Then you’re only sending the message that their actions are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom