• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Smith assaults Chris Rock LIVE at the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yeah... wow and wtf? o_O

I know Chris Rock's joke was a bit off... but this at an Oscars ceremony, really, unacceptable. I completely understand it though... but I think words would have been better than striking Rock on stage during a worldwide broadcast.

It seems they all used to be friends...

... Chris surely has too much to say on a regular basis.

JSmith

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
giraffe_fight.gif

Entertainment for the entire family :D

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely understand it though...
I don't. Nothing about this is acceptable or understandable. I hope he has to pay dearly for this.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow! I thought at first that it was a sketch. But no.

Man, comedy has certainly lost it's way. I thought the joke was funny and not mean spirited.

Will needs to go easy on the steroids me thinks.

Jimshoe

Absolutely pathetic. A grown man unable to control his emotions and needing to act them out in all their ridiculous swaggering stupidity.

I'm not sure what's worse, the slap or the self-righteous 'poor me' 'apology' that followed.

Dire

JSmith

Master Contributor
Jerry Springer Style!
It really would have made the moment if the whole audience started chanting "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry". ;)

There is no indication since photos together in 2015 that the three of them are not friends still actually... I wonder, not likely, but is there a remote possibility this was staged privately? Chris almost seemed to be waiting for it... and it was an actors slap for sure, very body physical. They're all actors, great at pretending and crying on cue... especially one that wins the best actor award.

Whatever is the case, the whole event means massive exposure for the Oscars and Will Smith's movie in a financially declining industry.

JSmith

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
It really would have made the moment if the whole audience started chanting "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry". ;)

There is no indication since photos together in 2015 that the three of them are not friends still actually... I wonder, not likely, but is there a remote possibility this was staged privately? Chris almost seemed to be waiting for it... and it was an actors slap for sure, very body physical. They're all actors, great at pretending and crying on cue... especially one that wins the best actor award.

Whatever is the case, the whole event means massive exposure for the Oscars and Will Smith's movie in a financially declining industry.

JSmith

If the Academy is true to its statement that they do not condone violence of any kind, I wonder if they will rescind Will's award. Or never invite him back.

Never mind, it's Hollywood, none of the above will ever happen. Carry on.

artburda

JSmith
Chris Rock seemed to wait for it with his hands behind his back and than rolling to the side along with the slap. He should have ducked under and countered with an overhand right.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Academy is true to its statement that they do not condone violence of any kind, I wonder if they will rescind Will's award. Or never invite him back.

Never mind, it's Hollywood, none of the above will ever happen. Carry on.
Hi

I would have supported a ban. Not a rescinding.
We don't yet know what the backlash will be. Not sure it will be seen nicely: It was a global event.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Hi

I would have supported a ban. Not a rescinding.
We don't yet know what the backlash will be. Not sure it will be seen nicely: It was a global event.

My guess is there will be little to none. He makes a lot of money for H'wood and in the end that's all that matters. This is not an industry built on pillars of scruples.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He'll be alright, he just assaulted someone, he didn't do anything really bad like say the wrong thing.
Oh! An assault, in front of a live millions of people audience, will be seen as nothing. I doubt it. There will be repercussions; his PR minions must be working overtime.

Peace.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, all these ceremonies are so absurd, artificial and orthogonal to art and human expression, that this punch is the only human touch I've seen in years, or perhaps ever, in that scenario or in any other similar scenario. Something sincere, that it's not prepared nor sponsored by anyone, something that's not in any account book and hasn't been approved or conceived by any designer. There is something very poetic on this. It's bad and ugly and should be criticized? Yes of course, violence is never right, but there is something truly human behind it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
but I think words would have been better than striking Rock on stage during a worldwide broadcast.
Broadcast is one thing, actual viewership is another. Rating are absolutely in the gutter, and this year it’s probably not any different. So luckily just about nobody saw the incident, and the ones that saw something got the censored version.

In any case, I can understand that the joke about his wife who has a sickness causing baldness isn’t very tastefull, but he pertains to be a comedian: then come up with a snarky response, and let Chris Rock deal with the social media backlash. Now he needs to deal with it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom