• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Open Back HPs help someone Bass/Pressure sensitive?

Echoa

So I've always been using Closed Back HPs, but something I've noticed is I can't wear them very long before I start having pressure headaches even with light clamping force. I even avoid very Bass heavy music as I'm sensitive to even slight change in pressure, Planes being particularly awful.

I've been trying to find something that I can listen to for more than 10-20min at a time before getting headaches and nause when I came across Open Back HPs.

After my rambling as to what I'm looking for would Open Back HPs be much improved over Closed in regards to pressure/sound pressure? How is the comfort for those who are more pressure sensitive like myself?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Yes. It helps with the pressure of the bass. When I compare the HD 200 series to my Sennheiser HD600, there is a more open sound and it doesn't feel as closed in and the pressure is less with the open backed Sennheiser. But not all closed back headphones are the same. Some of the closed back headphones might sound "bloated and pressured" simply because they have bumped up the bass. So I thought the ATH M50 which is closed didn't feel p[ressured.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Try the following:

Use the closed headphones you have an break the seal by adding a piece of a drinking straw between the pad and skin.
This also lowers bass extension and should ensure there is no weird pressure building up somewhere.

OP
E

Echoa

Try the following:

Use the closed headphones you have an break the seal by adding a piece of a drinking straw between the pad and skin.
This also lowers bass extension and should ensure there is no weird pressure building up somewhere.

Would drilling holes in the back of the cups accomplish the same goal? My current HPs are Monoprice Retros so not expensive so I don't mind messing with them.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Would drilling holes in the back of the cups accomplish the same goal? My current HPs are Monoprice Retros so not expensive so I don't mind messing with them.
You'd ruin the frequency response. Try Grados. The ones I tried have been very light, semi open pairs with a nice midrange.

OP
E

Echoa

You'd ruin the frequency response. Try Grados. The ones I tried have been very light, semi open pairs with a nice midrange.

Ok, so drilling holes would make them wonky, that actually makes sense.

I've heard of the Grados but I was actually looking at getting the MP M650 as I've heard some good things and they have a nice wood look which fits my desk & headphone stand I built. I just want to enjoy music/gaming without wanting to vomit lol

OP
E

Echoa

OP
E

Echoa

After reading about the Grados Im thinking of going with those, They seem like theyll be a lot better for someone like me who needs less Bass and something more open. The retro style is awesome too so just gotta decide between the 60/80/125. Thank you for reminding me those exist

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Grados are ON ears which can cause pain in the Pinna, when wearing glasses this may cause discomfort.
ALso Grado's have a considerable peak in the treble which can also cause listening fatique.
That may be something to consider.

Overears like the HD600, HD650 and HD58X are 'better' in that aspect.
When the clamping pressure is too high (can be out of the box) that can be lowered.
A high clamping force can cause head-aches.

OP
E

Echoa

Grados are ON ears which can cause pain in the Pinna, when wearing glasses this may cause discomfort.
ALso Grado's have a considerable peak in the treble which can also cause listening fatique.

When the clamping pressure is too high (can be out of the box) that can be lowered.

I'm still gonna be looking and deciding over the next week. I'm leaning towards the Grados actually because they're on ear and won't press my glasses into my temples as much and being more open and breathing. The Grado Sr80 having treble peak could be an issue.

My current 3 are the Grado sr80, 58x, and the MP 650 in that order but being unable to try them I'll have to do as much reading as I can to figure out which will be best in my case.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

@Echoa I second the Sennheisers solderdude mentioned if you ever want to go for overears as well as his comments about the Grados, though the clamping force is fairly light from what I remember. Gentle treble EQ would definitely help as well.

OP
E

Echoa

Just wanted to give a quick update on this.

After researching between the 3 HPs I was looking to go with I decided the Grado Sr80e was best for me. I got those along withe the JDS Atom to pair with my Scarlett 2i2 and am so far very happy.
I have been able to wear the Grados for several hours without nausea and mostly without discomfort. The only uncomfortable part of the Grados is the head band digging into the top of my head which is easy enough to solve with a quick trip to the hardware store.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, now I have a mostly perfect set of HPs for me.

Top Bottom