• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will NFT replace streaming for high quality music delivery?

levimax

Major Contributor
Today was the first I heard about NFT for music https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/kings-of-leon-when-you-see-yourself-album-nft-crypto-1135192/
I think a strong argument could be made that streaming has seen it's peak and NFT could be the future of music delivery. The biggest issue for streaming is that all companies in it are losing money and you can see the results: The MQA money grabbing scheme, Jack Dorsey buying Tidal, titles being dropped, and more changes to come all to the detriment of the consumer. On the other hand NFT has the potential to offer different experiences and a closer connection between the artist and listener which has been lacking since streaming took over from physical media. I am hopeful (probably naively) that NFT could someday soon even offer high quality/ well mastered versions of new music (vs. the brick walled fare served up for streaming). What do you think?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thinking starting a new thread for this . We can look back in a couple of years and see how right or wrong we were .

My view: Looks like a marginally better version of when some CDs came with a CD Rom disc of very poor video / artwork and "bonus" features. More the last gasp of "buying" music than the future of music consumption.

Top Bottom