• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Audyssey/Dirac compensate for different gain/sensitivity of amps?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how big of a problem it is, if at all, to use amps by different manufacturers with different input sensitivity and/or gain. Will Audyssey etc compensate for that? For example 2 channels of 230W @ 8 ohm, 1.1V sensitivity, 28dB gain and 2 channels of 350W @ 8 ohm, 1.6V sensitivity, 30.5dB gain.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2.5 dB is okay.

As long as the speakers are the same it should be okay.

Good point - they would be mostly pairs, of course. But it's for a surround setup and I'd rather just use random stuff I've acquired over the years, that wouldn't net much on a sale, instead of buy yet another box. Revel Be series - center and 226 L/R rated at 90dB, m126 heights at 86dB.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AVRs are usually well-equipped to SPL match everything without issues, this is necessary because most people don't have standard perfect setups where the distance between the listener and each speaker is exactly the same.

However, if you actually have sensitivity values, it might be a smarter idea to just match the low sensitivity speaker to the higher gain amplifier. But I don't think that's necessary either.

GalZohar

At least with Denon, as long as reference level doesn't require reducing or increasing the level of any speaker by more than 12db, then you should be fine in terms of level matching.

Other than amplifier gain, you also have to account for speaker sensitivity and distance. But again, in just about any case you should be fine.

Top Bottom