• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Audiophonics HPA S400ET be an improvement over Topping PA5 for speakers that can take 400 watts @4 ohms

Svensson

Grateful for thoughts, especially if anyone uses Topping PA5 with speakers that take more power, rather than in a nearfield setup. My speakers are Arundal 1723 Monitor THX (advised as 400 watts RMS @4ohms). I bought a Topping PA5 to experiment (thanks to ASR) and now using more often than my Hegel H120. Topping is generally better but perhaps lacks some heft and I'm using at 75-80% volume on preamp with the PA5 set to max. Would Audiophonics HPA S400ET be a better option and in what way? My amp thoughts so far based on reading here, but open to ideas up to $2500.

My test tracks include, Tin Pan Alley by SRV; Fields of Gold by Sting; Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy; Chocolate Chip Trip by Tool; Speak to Me by Pink Floyd (but actually all DSOTM); On The Turning Away (live) Pink Floyd the later years.

delta76

Major Contributor
I would say no. your 1723 has sensitivity of 92dB which is pretty good. even if the actual sensitivity is lower, you will most likely never draw more than 50wpc unless you go very loud - to the point that can damage your ears
best to hear yourself if there are clippings. if you have a wattmeter , try to measure what wattage your PA5 is drawing and see if you actually need more power

OP
S

Svensson

@delta76 thank you. I ordered the HPA S400ET after discussing with Audiophonics (14-day returns policy).
I don't posses a watt meter, so keeping everything else the same i.e. DAC, speakers etc, I listened to Topping PA5 and Audiophonics. I listened for days my usual test tracks with both amps. Volume is set using first tract to fix dB for each amp. I used also with different dB. With my ears, zero difference everywhere except minor advantage with bass control for Audiophonics and then only noticeable at 80dB and higher. It is a small difference only. I wish I did not heard that very little difference. Topping is exact same for everything else and almost identical with bass also. Topping is returned last week. I am lucky to afford the difference cost. Topping PA5 can easily operate my speakers more than I can listen in my room (73 cubic meters)

delta76

Major Contributor
If you can afford it and if you are all happy, good for you. Congratulations on your new amp :)

Top Bottom