• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

will a dac improve how my headphones sound?

zaraki

i currently have the massdrop hd6xx and the schiit magni 3, but i dont have a dac currently. so right now my audio comes from my asus tuf motherboard in my pc to my amp

i was thinking about getting the modi 3, as it has all the inputs i need so i can use it with my pc, ps4 and switch, and i am hopping it will improve how my headphones sound but from reading about dacs online, i have seen mixed results, some say it will improve your headphones and others say it wont

so does anyone here think it will improve how my headphones sound at all, maybe improve bass or overall quailty?

please and thanks

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If your motherboard DAC has low output, an external DAC will make your headphones sound louder. If you are hearing noises from the PC, the external DAC may (not always) help with that too. If your motherboard DAC has distortion, then you will hear a bit of improvement there.

Overall, the biggest factor is your headphone amplifier and headphones, not the DAC.

OP
zaraki

zaraki

ok thank you very much for the quick response

i might end up not getting the dac just yet as i dont have any issues with noise or anything else from what i can tell, and instead start saving up for the lcd2c as i hear that coming from the hd6xx/650 they would would have sort of a similar sound signature but with more bass, which is what i want

would you also agree that coming from my hd6xx the lcd2c would be an upgrade , if im looking for something similar sounding ( mostly the same amount of trebble im looking for as my hd6xx) but with more overall bass and sub bass?

Tircuit

Forum Donor

i might end up not getting the dac just yet as i dont have any issues with noise or anything else from what i can tell, and instead start saving up for the lcd2c as i hear that coming from the hd6xx/650 they would would have sort of a similar sound signature but with more bass, which is what i want

would you also agree that coming from my hd6xx the lcd2c would be an upgrade , if im looking for something similar sounding ( mostly the same amount of trebble im looking for as my hd6xx) but with more overall bass and sub bass?

Upgrades for less:
Hifiman 400i more bass
Monoprice 565C more bass and sub bass

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Use EQ when you want to improve sound quality
When your PC is the source this is very easy and cheap to do.

LCD2 is very heavy in weight. Comfort is very different. Bass is wonderful but the upper mids are a bit recessed. Treble is not as refined as HD6**.

Last edited:
OP
zaraki

zaraki

thanks guys, one last question please

how do you think the sundara is by hifiman? it seems to be the newer model that is replacing the 400i

i was also looking at the monolith m1060 but i hear that has ringing issue and that would be very annoying for me

will the sundara be good for what i want and have more bass and sub bass then my hd6xx but not as much treble as my dt 990s?

i would love to get the lcd2c but i reavulated everything, with my current situation thats just to much money to spend unfortunately

Last edited:

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I can tell you that my phones sound much better with my Schiit Modi Multibit and highly modded O2 amp than straight out of the headphone jack. This is true even with my IEMs which the computer can drive easily. I'm assuming decent headphones, not el cheapo off brand etc. Higher impedance or harder loads, the volume will be OK more or less but the dynamics will flatten out.

Main difference I noticed with the Multibit over the standard Delta-Sigma Modi that preceded it was improved high frequency detail. The Modi 2 I had was better than straight out, but not as clearcut as the Multibit.

LCD2 is an excellent headphone but don't let anybody brainwash you into thinking you have to spend that much for decent headphone sound. Some good recommendations were made earlier in the thread. The law of diminishing returns is very true in audio.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My subjective evaluation of the Sundara:

The Sundara sounds slightly ‘lean’ in the bass area. The bass does sound good, well extended and ‘tight’.
At higher SPL's the bass is on the proper level.
The tonal balance is good but as mentioned slightly ‘lean’. The upper mids have a slight coarseness to it.
There is a somewhat ‘artificial’ emphasis/sibilance heard with some recordings. Some ‘sharpish edge’ on on voices and instruments.
Dynamics sound a tad ‘compressed’ as in not ‘super dynamic’ as some other headphones manage.

I think it is close to the HE400i but not the same. If anything the ‘sharpish edge’ is slightly less on the Sundara compared to the 400i.
Both respond well to some EQ and you can get rid of the ‘sharpish edge’ and add some lower bass.
HD6XX is warmer sounding doesn't have a coarseness to the mids and no sharpish edge.
It is no DT990 at all. The DT990 has boosted bass and elevated treble that can sound piercing.
The HiFimans sound 'brighter', 'clearer' and the cheaper versions are a bit 'coarse' / 'grainy' in the treble. The more expensive the models get the 'smoother' the treble/overall sound.
Audeze is 'darker' in sound and has a bit more 'body/weight' in the sound but is also heavier in weight. The more expensive models improve in treble quality as well.
For Planars... have a look at MrSpeakers (AEON range) these are very comfy and lightweight and sound excellent but are not cheap either.
When you want to go cheap I would probably order the Russian Verum-1.
Haven't heard/measured one myself (waiting for start-up issues to disappear) but think it is a nice alternative for LCD-2

As said before.. In your shoes I would FIRST try the HD6XX with some EQ before venturing in planars.
If you do and are on a budget consider the Verum1.
The Magni 3 will probably not have any difficulties driving it.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
JDS labs atom if you want to keep it cheap and don't mind a plastic box.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
ifi micro iDSD is also well suited but a portable device.
The Atom is desktop only.
Different functionality and price so not a question of one being 'better'.
When on a test bench one can say which one measures better doesn't mean it will be audibly different.

Both will work well and have distortion levels below audible levels and can supply enough power in the 37 Ohm Sundara.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's 37 Ohm which is a pretty standard value. Also it has a relatively high efficiency 108dB/1V so a few volts is enough.
This headphone does not need much power (nor current) it can even be driven by a phone.

The micro iDSD can deliver 0.3W in the Sundara, the Atom 1W.
At 1W there is 122dB SPL peak.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i currently have the massdrop hd6xx and the schiit magni 3, but i dont have a dac currently. so right now my audio comes from my asus tuf motherboard in my pc to my amp

I was in the same boat, had Magni for an amp, being fed directly from PC. Get Modi 3 - it will change your life, especially since you already have good headphones, Senns 6xx.
Side note for hard to drive headphones, 6xx, LCD2c etc: I consider them a misnomer in modern world, driveability from a cellphone or a tablet should be a must. My suggestion - try AKG K7xx, Senn 58x etc. Don't go for even harder to drive headsets.

Top Bottom