• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wildfires | Things We Should Know | Between Nature & Man-made

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/weather/wildfires-things-to-know-trnd/index.html

I've been reading some, quite a bit actually, and today there was that article, educational.
It is tragic right now in North California...the lost of life...the devastation.
A 100-year old man died in his burning home along with his long life love wife, 98-year old.

To lose everything, memories, pictures, ...life's souvenirs, etc., is one devastating thing; to lose your life is extreme sadness for everyone.

Mother nature is unforgiving. October is usually a tough month, and with the strong blowing winds it is even tougher. The rapidity @ which those fires raged was incredibly fast. The timing of nature ... a killer.

My heart and prayers go to all the people who lost their lives and to all their families, relatives and friends.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is just hard for me to comprehend what has happened. I still remember one of the best memories of northern california when we moved there was a fall trip to wine country. Now I am watching CNN and it shows Santa Rosa as if a bomb fell on it. What a huge loss of beautiful surroundings and human life.

Then again, fires are part of nature. The ecosystem cannot develop properly without it. As humans we constantly encroach that and nature fights back. Hard.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I too traveled through Northern California in the past; it is a beautiful countryside. And they are beautiful people too, generous and helpful.

We are all so delicate and fragile; it is important to take care of one another.
And to take care of nature too, and prevent what could be prevented, by making all efforts possible. This one was a tough one; the time, the winds, the dryness, ...

A balance of the ecosystem is worth working for; our lives and livelihood depends on it.

Last edited:

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Just devastating. I just walked down the street to get lunch. I am miles away. It smells a lot like a campground outside.

Old Listener

Our city's 2700 acres of open space are closed due to fire danger. City pools are closed too.

Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) has issued a smoke advisory and a health advisory due to the unprecedented levels of air pollution in the Bay Area.

I think I'll take a day or two off from daily walks.

This is very minor compared to losing home, possessions or livelihood.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We had fires in eastern washington this summer and it polluted our air just like Ron was saying, miles and miles away. We literally had ashes on our cars! It was the driest summer on record (or close to it) which did not help.

Ronm1

^Bob talk about going thru some scary shit.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Ron, it is like the apocalypse, radically. It is life changing, for the survivors.
There are many pictures posted everywhere, and videos taken from drones, articles, ... that rip your heart apart.
2017 was the hottest summer in California.

That Californian couple just above; the wife thought that someone would come to get them from the swimming pool.
They remain there for six hours...just imagine them watching the fires all around in 360°... it must have been...infernal.

The winds were violent when it first started, and some fires could have been started by knocked down power lines on dry tree branches.
A down power line is a live wire, remember.

It is catastrophic, and it's not over. ... That many people killed by wildfires in the State of California hasn't been seen for many many years. ...31 on last count, and hundreds are missing; but it could be attributed to lost of power and communication.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's very hard to be concentrated on the music, on the movies. For the last couple months mother nature is fully active, with fury, and devastating.
...And the same with human nature too. ...Las Vegas, Hollywood, Washington...and abroad all over the world...Mexico, Japan, South America, Russia, Syria, etc.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's very hard to be concentrated on the music, on the movies. For the last couple months mother nature is fully active, with fury, and devastating.
...And the same with human nature too. ...Las Vegas, Hollywood, Washington...and abroad all over the world...Mexico, Japan, South America, Russia, Syria, etc.
Good point. Because of politics I am glued to news and with it, hear negative news after negative news. It seems everything is fighting everything from nations, to people and nature.

Hope to go on a few day RV trip and disconnect some. At least it is a gorgeous but cold morning here in pacific northwest. Blue skies after hale last night. Nature has a way of not staying angry with you for long....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am glued to news and with it, hear negative news after negative news.

Good News is not newsworthy any more.

"22,000 People at Concert Not Killed Nor Maimed by Crazed Gunman"

"5.5 Billion People Did Not Go to Bed Hungry Again Last Night"

"Millions of Air Travellers Survived Their Uneventful Flights Today"

"No Raging Wildfires Reported in At Least 47 States"

Film at eleven.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good News is not newsworthy any more.

"22,000 People at Concert Not Killed Nor Maimed by Crazed Gunman"

"5.5 Billion People Did Not Go to Bed Hungry Again Last Night"

"Millions of Air Travellers Survived Their Uneventful Flights Today"

"No Raging Wildfires Reported in At Least 47 States"

Film at eleven.
True. When I worked for companies that made equipment for broadcast television, the dark secret that everyone knew in the industry was that the ad budget of TV networks was tied to disasters and wars. And so was our income.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Usually the good news come after the bad news. One can't have its full measure without the other. ...Definitely affirmative.

It's up to us where we turn the channel to. ...The music we listen to, the films/documentaries we watch, the friends we hang out with, the life's values we select, the audio setups we choose, the gadgets we put under our speakers and our beds, the TV packages, the monthly cell plans, the service providers, the electric companies, the cars and trucks we drive, the Internet speed, the processing power in our computers, the size of screens we like, the food we eat, the stores where we shop @.

When we lose everything, what's left? A name inside a computer system with an insurance claim attached to it? ...Our lives with all our dignity, if we're lucky.
...Our true friend's help and family's support, with nothing else to show than our true selves. It is tough, because we live in a material world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom