• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I find this really annoying myself. None of my other equipment uses 2.5mm. It was also surprisingly hard to find an adapter (everything on Amazon was to convert to 3.5mm) and it doesn't fit snug now either.

I’ve not had good luck with the plug adapters like this one. e.g. to use other IR blasters with Harmony hubs. Not reliable and seem heavy on that tiny plug.

Monoprice 107121 2.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated https://a.co/d/9gsuvsc

The pigtail style ones ProJect packed in are much better. I used these adaptors for the IR blaster for our TV, spliced into two cables of a cat6 line:

daier 6Pcs 2.5mm Male Plug to Bare Wire Open End TS 2 Pole Mono Plug Jack Connector 2.5mm for Audio Cable Repair https://a.co/d/5FVUBn1

Amazon also sells a cable with 2.5mm mono on one end and 3.5mm mono on the other end.

Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub https://a.co/d/06fWOMt

Last edited:

BossBunos

I’ve not had good luck with the plug adapters like this one. e.g. to use other IR blasters with Harmony hubs. Not reliable and seem heavy on that tiny plug.

Monoprice 107121 2.5mm Mono Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated https://a.co/d/9gsuvsc

The pigtail style ones ProJect packed in are much better. I used these adaptors for the IR blaster for our TV, spliced into two cables of a cat6 line:

daier 6Pcs 2.5mm Male Plug to Bare Wire Open End TS 2 Pole Mono Plug Jack Connector 2.5mm for Audio Cable Repair https://a.co/d/5FVUBn1

Amazon also sells a cable with 2.5mm mono on one end and 3.5mm mono on the other end.

Ancable 2-Pack 6-Feet Mono Cable 2.5mm Male to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug - 12V Trigger Cable for Parasound Amp and Logitech Harmony Hub https://a.co/d/06fWOMt
Yeah I got the cable on amazon as well, it's a 2pack for 10 euro's.

The trigger behaviour is pretty weird. I think it's buggy.
My setup: tv --- optical --> wiim --- coax -->minidsp SHD --- xlr --> Amp
The minidsp is always on and I have connected the trigger from the wiim to the amp directly.

The WiiM enter 'stand-by' mode when a source stops playing. That can either be bluetooth, wifi, optical etc. In the app it's possible to define the stand-by delay. I got it set at 30 seconds. When I stop streaming via google cast it will shut down after around 3 minutes. So I have no clue what triggers it internally. But when I have watched TV (that is connected via toslink to the wiim) it will never turn off the amp. I've sent an email to wiim and am awaiting their reply.... to be continued...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But when I have watched TV (that is connected via toslink to the wiim) it will never turn off the amp. I've sent an email to wiim and am awaiting their reply.... to be continued...

I’m confused. Isn’t that the way you’d want it to work - on as long as there’s active signal coming in the trigger is on. Does it stay on when the TV goes off?

BossBunos

I’m confused. Isn’t that the way you’d want it to work - on as long as there’s active signal coming in the trigger is on. Does it stay on when the TV goes off?
Exactly once the tv is turned off it won't turn off the amp. I did a little digging and found out (using the wiim api) that the player state remains in "play" instead of "stop". So it looks like once a signal is detected on the optical in on the wiim (it auto detects a signal and switches when in standby) it stops checking if there is still a signal present.

DTTOM37

Cambridge similar to NAD also releasing their streamer with similar to Wiim Pro functionality ( Chromecast, Airplay 2, Connects etc ) but with more capable DAC chip and USB media input.

This one resembles even more the Soncoz design ;-), however,
I think they missed somehow their chances with no HDMI ARC, no analog input, no balanced output, no LDAC and - as mentioned before- to exclude so many customers from Deezer/Amazon/Apple Music ( perhaps only at the moment?) keeps your sales limited ... perhaps this is rather a limited offer for clients with brand awareness ?

BossBunos

Quite impressed with their support:

Thank you for your feedback.
We're able to reproduce the issue that the trigger out won't change to low when there's no audio from SPDIF input in our lab. We'll fix this issue in our next firmware release. Please stay tuned!
Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
Best,
WiiM Support

BossBunos

And one more update they sent me:
BTW, the trigger won't go with the standby mode. It will change to low if there is no audio after 2.5 minutes. Hope it clarifies.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Wiim Mini hardware hater here. Just ordered the Pro, based on different hardware.

Reactions: Mat

Overseas

Major Contributor
I had bad bad experience with the physical optical port of Mini. That is the 'hard' part I am talking about.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had bad bad experience with the physical optical port of Mini. That is the 'hard' part I am talking about.
Ah yes I guess the plastic around the optical port is pretty poor on the mini - luckily for me, I haven't had a problem but I guess I have only connected / disconnected it a few times as I mostly have it permanently connected to my DAC.

Tatr76

Received Pro, ordered from wiim US amazon store to UK as out of stock this side. Love it especially for Amazon music, on that front wiim app plays UHD content flawlessly but UI not as good as android app. Can use Amazon app but only goes to cd quality when selecting Pro as output device, searched online and this seems limit, does anyone know differently?

Rob6899

Received Pro, ordered from wiim US amazon store to UK as out of stock this side. Love it especially for Amazon music, on that front wiim app plays UHD content flawlessly but UI not as good as android app. Can use Amazon app but only goes to cd quality when selecting Pro as output device, searched online and this seems limit, does anyone know differently?
hi, I did exactly the same Amazon US to UK.

I'm getting full ultra HD both in the WIIM app and when using Amazon Music app to "cast".

Screenshot_20230208_165602_WiiM Home.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_170013_Amazon Music.jpg

derek13

Areyou sure you are choosing correctly when “casting” from the Amazon App - I can see my pro there twice: once as a Chromecast device and once as a recognised AMHD device - choose the latter to get Ultra HD.

Rob6899

Areyou sure you are choosing correctly when “casting” from the Amazon App - I can see my pro there twice: once as a Chromecast device and once as a recognised AMHD device - choose the latter to get Ultra HD.
Agree with the above.
Screenshot_20230208_184541_Amazon Music.jpg

Tatr76

Thanks all sorted

Runcliffyrun

I can't see the Wiim Pro except as a Chromecast target. My other Wiim (mini) is there though...

Any ideas? I have tried to connect/add the Pro through the Alexa app but it doesn't appear there either.

Runcliffyrun

You should be able to add it as a device in the Alexa App
Thanks, I've tried. I can play AM through the WiiM app, but using AM the only option is Chromecast.

Adding a device through Alexa - should I be adding it as a speaker? Because when I try that, it gives instructions for connecting a WiiM Sunrise Alarm Clock.

Top Bottom