• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

T&T

I have the WiiM Pro using Spotify Connect is 16 bits 44.1hz 320kpbs, using Spotify with Chromecast do 24 bits 44.1 and don't show any kpbs...Chromecast sounds much better than Spotify connect

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have the WiiM Pro using Spotify Connect is 16 bits 44.1hz 320kpbs, using Spotify with Chromecast do 24 bits 44.1 and don't show any kpbs...Chromecast sounds much better than Spotify connect
So false 44.1/24 taken from 44.1/16 sounds better than the original. Ok.

T&T

So false 44.1/24 taken from 44.1/16 sounds better than the original. Ok.
Well not sure was going on, if Google is doing his thing behinds the curtains converting OGG Vorbis to ACC or FLAC ??? using is using own you tube music license

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Well not sure was going on, if Google is doing his thing behinds the curtains converting OGG Vorbis to ACC or FLAC ??? using is using own you tube music license
Are you trying to say that Spotify app do not use Spotify library when referring to the audio content with Google Cast for Audio aka chromecast protocol, and sends a link to the Google library instead?

Reactions: T&T

Tangband

Major Contributor
Better source material sounds usually better, yes. But you need to have good speakers to hear that. Spotify is at best 320 kbits, no matter how you play it. Its a lossy streaming alternative, and it should be for free.

Worse sounding of all is lossy Spotify combined with bluetooth = You get -1 -1 = -3.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the Pro today and after fiddling with it for a couple of hours it's going back tomorrow. Sounds fine when it works. Maybe it's the Android app but it really sucks. Pull up Beatles Revoler on Amazon Music and no telling what will actually play, might be Bob Dylan or the Moody Blues. App stops in middle of song and the only way to stop the music is turn the thing off. Quboz is marginally better. App needs serious work at least the Android version.

sajgre

I just got the Pro today and after fiddling with it for a couple of hours it's going back tomorrow. Sounds fine when it works. Maybe it's the Android app but it really sucks. Pull up Beatles Revoler on Amazon Music and no telling what will actually play, might be Bob Dylan or the Moody Blues. App stops in middle of song and the only way to stop the music is turn the thing off. Quboz is marginally better. App needs serious work at least the Android version.
Sorry to hear that. Any reason not to use Chromecast?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a proper amazon music subscription? (Not just prime). If not that is what amazon music does now.
I thought I did I need to check. Still doesn't explain the app crashing playing Quboz and when I reopen it can't find the streamer have to turn it off then back on. To clunky for me. I was looking for something to replace Roon.

Edit: Yes I have an Amazon music subscription

Last edited:

sajgre

Audiophonics.fr states that WiiM pro would be available between 2 and 9. February.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Which app are you using to play Amazon Music - the WiiM or Amazon Music app? The latter has a history of being rather flaky at times...
And you say you have an Amazon Music subscription - which subscription plan? Single device, individual or family? Also, are you a Prime customer?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that. Any reason not to use Chromecast?
Never used Chromecast. I have it connected to a Benchmark DAC 3L. I had it set to pass through Coax. I use the Benchmark for volume control.
Which app are you using to play Amazon Music - the WiiM or Amazon Music app? The latter has a history of being rather flaky at times...
And you say you have an Amazon Music subscription - which subscription plan? Single device, individual or family? Also, are you a Prime customer?
the WiiM app, yes I have a subscription, individual and I am a Prime customer. Of course none of this explains the issues when streaming Quboz with the WiiM app or why the App loses my device and requires a reset or why it continues to play music when I close it. It's not like I haven't been streaming and using various apps for a number of years. Not interested in being a beta tester.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Never used Chromecast. I have it connected to a Benchmark DAC 3L. I had it set to pass through Coax. I use the Benchmark for volume control.

the WiiM app, yes I have a subscription, individual and I am a Prime customer. Of course none of this explains the issues when streaming Quboz with the WiiM app or why the App loses my device and requires a reset or why it continues to play music when I close it. It's not like I haven't been streaming and using various apps for a number of years. Not interested in being a beta tester.
Was only asking as it’s not unusual for Prime users to have just the single device plan for Amazon Music Unlimited and be surprised that their other devices exhibit the recently changed and apparently bizarre behaviour of Amazon Music Prime. I am an Amazon Music user too, have both a Wiim Mini and Pro, and any infrequent issues I encounter are generally down to the Amazon Music app itself which tbh isn’t the greatest music app out there even when casting to echos.

I tend to play albums or my own playlists (or certain amazon curated ones like My Soundtrack) so tend to use the WiiM app for Amazon Music which is less flakey than the Amazon Music app itself.

Cincyret

My 2 cents. Ordered from Amazon on 1/11/23, arrived Friday (1/13/23), setup late Saturday [probably rushed] & ran into problems (TV audio crackling & SPDIF[toslink] out didn't work. I left 3 [!] messages - WiiM Forum, Support on their site, & Feedback in the app (probably the best way). To all messages I got a kind response within 4 hrs or overnight. In any case on Sunday (1/15/23-Today) I retried and connected everything..Result: everything works perfectly!
My setup:
2 Inputs to WiiM Pro - Ethernet (Qobuz Hi-res) & SPDIF (Toslink from Sony TV)
2 Outputs - COAX (to minidsp Flex - to amp & speakers) & SPDIF (Toslink to Topping EX5 - to Headphones)
2 Sources - Qobuz (Hi-res music) & Sony TV audio (I get no latency issues)
Results - everything works perfectly - HI-res thru both COAX & Toslink, no sound problems with TV audio

TV audio crackling - I noticed this Saturday night, but not on Sunday - only 1 hr listening - will continue to monitor..

A big shoutout to the Wiim Team - I love the product & support couldn't be better!
(see photo - the Wiim Pro is in the middle left)
John
I've had the WiiM pro for a week (1/20/23). I had a problem with intermittent crackling on the SPDIF/Toslink input from my Sony TV. I reported to the Wiim (via the feedback selection in the app) on Tuesday (1/17/23). By today (Friday 1/20/23) the latest firmware/ app software updates have solved the problem. After 3 hrs of listening I've han NO crackling problems from the TV input. 2 inputs [ethernet & Toslink], 1 output [Coax- with a splitter to 2 DACs (speaker & headphone)] - Hi-res via coax, many fewer cables, all in one control. Again, a great product & great support. I've very happy! Thanks, John

yllanos

I've had the WiiM pro for a week (1/20/23). I had a problem with intermittent crackling on the SPDIF/Toslink input from my Sony TV. I reported to the Wiim (via the feedback selection in the app) on Tuesday (1/17/23). By today (Friday 1/20/23) the latest firmware/ app software updates have solved the problem. After 3 hrs of listening I've han NO crackling problems from the TV input. 2 inputs [ethernet & Toslink], 1 output [Coax- with a splitter to 2 DACs (speaker & headphone)] - Hi-res via coax, many fewer cables, all in one control. Again, a great product & great support. I've very happy! Thanks, John

Thanks. I just used the feedback feature to report an issue.

Bamyasi

Any Plex/Plexamp users out here? Could they test a few things with the WiiM Pro via Chromecast? :)
- Up to 192/24? (not that I have a lot of files in this quality, but I just want to be sure of bit-perfect playback)
- Gapless?
- Alac support?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late response, I have just received my WiiM Pro today. The answers to your questions are 192/24 -- yes, gapless -- no, for both Android Plexamp & Plex apps when connected to WiiM Pro via Chromecast. But I believe Plex(amp) never supported gapless playback for streaming, so no surprises here.

MrX

FYI, I have a Amazon Echo Link and I have the same latency and disconnect issues too. This seems like a Amazon Music API issue rather than the WiiM device.

BossBunos

Ordered one today at audiophonics. It will 'replace' the volumio streamer in my minidsp SHD. Main issue for me is that Spotify connect in volumio is not really Spotify connect. It's only visible for the user that is logged on in the plugin. That's a problem since we have multiple users in our household.
I also don't really like the smartphone app. Especially searching and discovering new music. So I'm looking forward to stream Spotify and qobuz through Chromecast or Spotify connect :)

BobPM

Received my Wiim Pro about a week ago and so far is seems fairly solid. I am coming from an older Bluesound Node the bricked on me. Overall, the experience is fairly similar, but I do have a couple of questions. (p.s., I am using the optical into a Schiit Modius DAC)

1. Does anyone know the bitrate of the Radio Paradise app? Most streaming sounds clearer than the node, but Radio Paradise seems less clear.
2. The Tunein radio app keeps locking the screen and I can't leave the station without a hard restart. Anyone else have this experience?
3. I stream from a local NAS, Tidal, and Amazon Music, and have not had the experience noted above of the app sending me to some random song.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does anyone know the bitrate of the Radio Paradise app? Most streaming sounds clearer than the node, but Radio Paradise seems less clear.

It should show on the WiiM App now playing screen as 16/44.1 FLAC, unless you mean you’re actually using the separate RP app where from memory you can choose the quality - it would then depend on how you’re sending that to the WiiM Pro.

Were you perhaps using the MQA version of RP on Bluos?

BobPM

It should show on the WiiM App now playing screen as 16/44.1 FLAC, unless you mean you’re actually using the separate RP app where from memory you can choose the quality - it would then depend on how you’re sending that to the WiiM Pro.

Were you perhaps using the MQA version of RP on Bluos?
Thanks. I never noticed the part of the screen that shows bitrate. I have always avoided using MQA as I feel it changes the sound.

Top Bottom