• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

telemike

Mh, am I seeing right that no IR remote control is possible? For me this is unbelievable especially because it would be implemented relatively cheap (input selection & volume control).
Maybe this hack is possible (-> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/ir-remote-control-hack-for-wiim-mini.35946/) but I guess with a delay. Still a unsmart decision not to implement it right from the beginning. Useless voice control is implemented..

A remote is coming for the WiiM Mini and Pro.

Reactions: BDE

ririt

may be a naive question: is it possible to use its EQ functionnality without using its internal DAC (by connecting an external DAC through its coaxial or optical outputs)?

Wicky

may be a naive question: is it possible to use its EQ functionnality without using its internal DAC (by connecting an external DAC through its coaxial or optical outputs)?
Yes, you will need the DAC to be before after the WiiM in the chain. the digi output from your external dac can be feed to the wiim for dsp/eq
Yes, you will need the WiiM digital out to a DAC

Last edited:

ririt

Yes, you will need the DAC to be before the WiiM in the chain. the digi output from your external dac can be feed to the wiim for dsp/eq
Ok but then I will lose its streaming capabilities….

timmo

A remote is coming for the WiiM Mini and Pro.
From WiiM product team: “The remote is Bluetooth LE based using HID protocol.”

We asked if it can be added/supported as a Bluetooth remote on Logitech Harmony hubs. Awaiting a response :) Hopefully this can be done to have another remote option.

ehabheikal

Most of the time I listen to WiiM with Bluetooth headphones (Momentum 4s), otherwise via my Denon AVR speakers when my ears need a rest. Sounds great to me with the headphones, but I probably don’t have golden ears like most people on this forum :) The reason why I like using the WiiM as the source to my Bluetooth headphones is that its a standalone device activated all the time for listening to music. I don’t like using my phone or a tablet as the source to my BT headphones. At the end of the day, I don’t want to pick my phone at all. Using WiiM allows me to do that because it is its own active standalone device to send the music (and I can use various controllers depending on what I’m doing around the house). The range is impressive for this little unit (much better than Denon via bluetooth and Sennheiser RF headphones).

Here we do not have golden ears :) we have measurements that are more accurate and reproducible.

derek13

Ultimate exercise in patience ….. my WiiM Pro was delivered this morning about 1hr before we departed for Christmas with my daughter’s family. First thought: I’ve just got time to cable it up and try it out. Second thought: my wife will not understand why I’m not loading up the car etc. So it’s sitting still sealed in its box next to my Hifi till I get back after Christmas.

holbob

Ultimate exercise in patience ….. my WiiM Pro was delivered this morning about 1hr before we departed for Christmas with my daughter’s family. First thought: I’ve just got time to cable it up and try it out. Second thought: my wife will not understand why I’m not loading up the car etc. So it’s sitting still sealed in its box next to my Hifi till I get back after Christmas.
Lightweight

PipHelix

Lightweight
My Wiim Pro has been working wonderfully with Apple Music and Spotify in the 5 days since I set it up. My Bluesound NODE began a weird digital skipping routine after a few minutes of playback. The Wiim has been great so far.

On another note, what’s with audio guys on all these audio forums still acting like “hen-pecked” husbands from the 50’s? It’s not required of couples that the man has an “eccentric hobby” that their female partners semi-mockingly indulge. Parity is possible and you can find a partner with similar interests to you. Or you can develop interests together. So many guys are out there acting like they married their mothers who are mad that the guys aren’t doing their chores.

derek13, can’t your wife help you load the car? Can you not load up the car just a little later without fear of being scolded?

sajgre

My Wiim Pro has been working wonderfully with Apple Music and Spotify in the 5 days since I set it up. My Bluesound NODE began a weird digital skipping routine after a few minutes of playback. The Wiim has been great so far.

On another note, what’s with audio guys on all these audio forums still acting like “hen-pecked” husbands from the 50’s? It’s not required of couples that the man has an “eccentric hobby” that their female partners semi-mockingly indulge. Parity is possible and you can find a partner with similar interests to you. Or you can develop interests together. So many guys are out there acting like they married their mothers who are mad that the guys aren’t doing their chores.

derek13, can’t your wife help you load the car? Can you not load up the car just a little later without fear of being scolded?

I can install giant speakers in the middle of the living room if I wanted to and put sofa upside down if it made sistem sound great
but I would never delay whole family going for a Christmas at granny's because of new streamer.

dimitrig

I am all for a strong, independent modern woman who likes to watch blue movies, play sports, and video games alongside me and then changes the oil on the car while I do the cooking. I think roles can definitely be a lot more fluid than they used to be and so never understood the Wife Approval Factor because if my speakers and equipment sound good she likes them, too.

That said, you must not be married. ;)

Last edited:

dimitrig

I got my Wiim Pro on the 23rd.

So far I don’t notice any sonic differences or many other differences either.

One thing I have noticed is that the connection is a lot more stable. My Mini has a bad habit or disconnecting or freezing up after a few hours of use. I have no such issues with the Pro.

Last edited:

Midrats

Hello all. I've been using a Chromecast Audio with my NAD 326BEE to listen to Qobuz and Tidal. I'm considering the WiiM Pro to replace the CCA. My concern is that the 326BEE doesn't have optical or coaxial inputs. What type of audio quality can I expect using the RCA input? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

morillon

Major Contributor
in analog the mini is in the same category as the cca ... no more... (and "pro" use same dac of mini etc)
Personally I prefer in analog the cca if i can use bubble or hificast etc (listening and in mesureaments my cca is better)
it will certainly arrive soon direct comparison mini-pro listening-measurements.. see if linkplay has taken more care in integrating the same dac t-i etc...?
(but the stability of the wifi connection is much better with the mini...not comparable... more recent..., but we can use ethernet with cca like the new wiim pro)

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
I have Wiim Mini and still it can't play Deezer. After a few tracks it jumbs from full FLAC to 128 kb/s, and "my library " is not mine but belong to another person. I suppose that there is the same firmware in Wiim Pro, and I am not going to order a Pro before this serious Deezer problem is solved.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I would get the Pro if they fix the optical physical connection. But Ifi Zen Audio Stream is 300 euro next to me while Pro would be 200 euro in my case, so...

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
I would get the Pro if they fix the optical physical connection. But Ifi Zen Audio Stream is 300 euro next to me while Pro would be 200 euro in my case, so...
What do they need to fix with the Pro’s optical connection? And would the iFi Zen support Amazon Music up to 24/192, casting from the Amazon Music app as well?

Top Bottom