• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone speak to the analog to digital conversion quality of the Pro when you connect a preamp out into the Pro’s RCA “line in” inputs?

I would like to play a record on my turntable into my vintage preamp, connect one of the preamp line out to the Pro via RCA stereo interconnects into the Pro’s line in, and have that Pro stream the signal into another networked Pro in a different room.

Reason for all this is I have two separate music systems in two rooms, but only one turntable. I’d like to play a record in system A and listen in system B. Hoping that two WiiM Pros might be an economical and pragmatic solution.

I don’t have an outboard A/D converter so I’m wondering if the Pro’s is adequate.
It will almost certainly be good enough for vinyl.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The Roon Ready update is still planned for the 15th of February, according to their roadmap. I will post my review soon after that. But, if the ETA is delayed for some reason, I will publish anyway. I've already got enough possibilities to measure its performance as a streamer (Chromecast, WiiM app) and as a DAC (S/PDIF input).
UPnP from an LMS server is a great way to measure these.

BioMedTechGuy

Only a couple of days into my using a Chromecast Audio device (It's awesome) a couple of forum members suggested the WiiM mini pro. I don't regret getting the Chromecast Audio device, if the WiiM works as expected I can move the Chromecast to another receiver.
I am excited to just be getting into streaming to my (relatively high-end but "old school" circa 1999-2005) home audio equipment vs my Android phone's speakers. All Klipsch speakers, (except for my Definitive Technology Trinity SuperCube subwoofer) and Classic Rock are a combination that NEVER leaves me wanting for anything on that end of the signal path. The problem I've been having was no HDMI for AUDIO, so optical or coax digital have been what I needed and both my Chromecast AUDIO device and the WiiM mini pro have that!
Thanks again to ALL who have been so helpful!

Smislov

Can anyone speak to the analog to digital conversion quality of the Pro when you connect a preamp out into the Pro’s RCA “line in” inputs?

I would like to play a record on my turntable into my vintage preamp, connect one of the preamp line out to the Pro via RCA stereo interconnects into the Pro’s line in, and have that Pro stream the signal into another networked Pro in a different room.

Reason for all this is I have two separate music systems in two rooms, but only one turntable. I’d like to play a record in system A and listen in system B. Hoping that two WiiM Pros might be an economical and pragmatic solution.

I don’t have an outboard A/D converter so I’m wondering if the Pro’s is adequate.
Pro ject Turntable - audio in WM / digital out to Topping dac. I’m satisfied with this solution:) My child is playing on this picture ;p
1676228131950.jpeg

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Technics -- Pluto--WiiM--optical switcher (for Chromecast)--RME in my set-up. Laptop with Roon Server.

Attachments

• PXL_20230212_190739926.jpg
    PXL_20230212_190739926.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

napfkuchen

Can someone confirm volume control of the digital output works fine, please? My intention is to directly connect it to the digital input of my speakers.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Can someone confirm volume control of the digital output works fine, please? My intention is to directly connect it to the digital input of my speakers.
Not sure if it's fine, but it works quite good.

EDIT: some details here:

napfkuchen

Thanks, that's awesome! I'm sure then it will be fine for me. :) The musiccast app on my wxc-50 leaves a lot to be desired with the integration of streaming services ...

sajgre

Thanks, that's awesome! I'm sure then it will be fine for me. :) The musiccast app on my wxc-50 leaves a lot to be desired with the integration of streaming services ...
I just replaced my wxc-50 with Wiim pro 3 hours ago :). I used Yamaha in other system for years and it was good with ethernet cable, on my desktop it was horrible on wifi. Interface is also far from Android App. Wiim was a breeze to setup and update, so far it was working flawlessly on wifi. I'll hide it under the table and hopefully forget that I have it. Great streamer and amazing value.

napfkuchen

... on my desktop it was horrible on wifi.
Exactly my experience with the yamaha, had to use the LAN option as with wifi it didn't store my configuration. :p

ChrisMag2099

Testing this as I write. Source is a Pro-Ject X8 w/ a Hana SH high output moving coil into a Modwright PH9.0, then line into the WiiM Pro and line out direct to a Parasound JC5 power amp which powers Focal Scala Evos. The preamp I removed is an Audio Research LS28SE.

Compared to having an all-analog path, there is an overall loss of soundstage depth and bass weight. It sounds decent, but I wouldn't give up having a good preamp vs. utilizing the Wiim as a preamp. However, if I were converting from a phono preamp to digital via the WiiM and then into a powered speaker's digital input, I'd suspect it's a decent solution, especially given the price.

I have a PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter which is my ADC solution for ripping vinyl. Generally, I use the Modwright, then line into the PS Audio because I much prefer the sound of the Modwright (and the Parasound JC3 Jr. I had previously) to the PS Audio's internal phono stage. I can't easily compare the two subjectively because the WiiM Pro has optical input only for digital, and the PS Audio is Coax/i2s over HDMI out for playback (USB for recording to PC only), and I have no means for converting coax to TOSLINK.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
Exactly my experience with the yamaha, had to use the LAN option as with wifi it didn't store my configuration. :p
My WXC-50 really played up on wifi until I separated the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels in my router. The WXC-50 only has 2.4 ghz and couldn't see my phone if it connected to 5 ghz. Since separating the channels it has worked flawlessly. Guess the WXC-50 is starting to show it's age.

morillon

Major Contributor
in recent weeks "onelyoneme", (asr member too) has produced and offered all the measures in general available here..(but without strong "formalisation", a dialogue not a "" review""..)
but with two additional features:

a very interesting mini vs pro comparison.

and the use of pkane's deltawave software more...

to see on the wiim community forum
;-)

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom