• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whatever. But the fact remains that the WiiM Pro supports Chromecast up to 24/192 as confirmed by WiiM and my use of the BubbleUPNP and Hi-Fi Cast Apps.
I suspect 24/192 is Wiim's unofficial extension to Chromecast. Applications following Google's documentation would not try to stream more than 24/96, but Wiim doesn't refuse to play 24/192 if it is sent.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just not when you use your streaming service app
Not my streaming service app, I use Amazon Music which doesn’t support Chromecast for its lossless hd/uhd tracks but doesn’t need to as the WiiM supports AlexaCast up to 24/192.

While I wait on a reply to the ticket I raised with WiiM on Qobuz not supporting 24/192 with the Pro (which I noticed that some chromecast “built in” devices claim to do viz. https://stereo-magazine.com/review/chromecast-audio-review), on a brighter note, the iOS Qobuz app can use Chromecast at the same 24/96 quality to the WiiM Pro, overcoming the contraints of Airplay…

Last edited:

D1N0

I suspect 24/192 is Wiim's unofficial extension to Chromecast. Applications following Google's documentation would not try to stream more than 24/96, but Wiim doesn't refuse to play 24/192 if it is sent.
Google must have put in the limitation to limit wifi issues or heat issues with the chromecast.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Google must have put in the limitation to limit wifi issues or heat issues with the chromecast.
So arguably more a limit for the actual chrome cast audio devices than the chrome cast audio protocol?

amper42

Major Contributor
Where do you find the WiiM Windows/Mac OS X player? Does it work with Wiim mini too?

Just found it here:

This works well for playing music from the computer. Love the "My music" feature. :)

Last edited:

remlemasi

Anyone know how the Pro treats the optical input? Can it do 24/192? Is it bit-perfect pass through?

sacguy231

Curious to know if the unit will feed the analog input at the digital output? I have a Yamaha WXC-50 that does this and it's helpful if I want to convert an analog format (like tape) to digital.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a limitation of the Chromecast protocol. It maxes out at 24/96. Maybe you can use DLNA from Qobuz. It should pop up in the list of available devices.
With Roon you can send to chromecast up to 24/192

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
With Roon you can send to chromecast up to 24/192
And with the WiiM Pro, as I have already posted, you can use the BubbleUPNP or Hi-fi Cast apps to Chromecast 24/192 to it. Plus Qobuz can do 24/192 to certain “Chromecast built-in” devices.

Merifon

Curious to know if the unit will feed the analog input at the digital output? I have a Yamaha WXC-50 that does this and it's helpful if I want to convert an analog format (like tape) to digital.
Wiim mini already does it, so there's no reason that Wiim pro doesn't

NemesisBaud

It’s expected to go on sale around 10th December - as a beta test user, I got a unit early.
Can you confirm if the 10-band EQ in the WiiM Pro applies to any input you select? I’m specifically interested in knowing if it works for the optical in signal. I assume it does, but if you could confirm I would really appreciate it!

Tangband

Major Contributor
The lag in soundsync when watching tv is a slightly letdown ( as Darko points out in the end of the video ) .
Maybe this can be fixed with a firmware update ?

The ability to use this device as a digital pre amp is really interesting. The spdif out can change the volume control. I wonder if this volume control is of better quality than the one in Yamaha wxc 50 ?

If its as good as a good DDC ( douk u2, Matrix x spdif 2 ) then its a sensation.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Can you confirm if the 10-band EQ in the WiiM Pro applies to any input you select? I’m specifically interested in knowing if it works for the optical in signal. I assume it does, but if you could confirm I would really appreciate it!
I’d imagine the EQ is applied to the output so is independent of the input.

Top Bottom