• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

nanook

Chromecast not working always due to my device being set to the wrong band (e.g. phone on 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz or vice-versa; configuring Chromecast on both bands solves this).
This is a very valuable hint - not thought about this yet. Likely not the issue with my Teufel connector 2 , they are both in the 5 GHz band and are connected with at least ca. 80 MBit/s.
I could check the Chromecast connexion from YouTube to the WiiM when I have time and report back.
Thanks a lot, I'd be pleased if you would check that - no need to hurry though.
Since I moved to Roon I don't use Chromecast anymore on the WiiM (Pro version, not Pro Plus in my case) as I now use the "Roon Ready" option that's available in Roon for the WiiM.
Amir criticized in his review in Dec. 2023 that the WIIM does not support Roon. So how does it work for you and what's the difference between "Roon support" and "Roon ready"?

vert

Forum Donor
Amir criticized in his review in Dec. 2023 that the WIIM does not support Roon. So how does it work for you and what's the difference between "Roon support" and "Roon ready"?
Are you sure Amir said WiiM does not support Roon though? Roon gives me two options for wifi streaming to the WiiM Pro, named "WiiM Pro-D238 Chromecast" and "WiiM Roon Ready".

nanook

Initial post in Amir's review:

"Upon power cycle I went to my Roon player to see if it sees the device but it did not! I could swear I was told it now had Roon support. Searching online showed that it should be there but nope. Power cycle did nothing. FAQ did nothing. Searching on WiiM site did not inform. Searched again and landed on a thread on Roon forum where it said the *Plus* version is yet to be certified. And that it is the standard WiiM Pro that is already there. What a mess. I put most of the blame on Roon for their slow process here but from WiiM front, I would have liked to see a notation in documentation/app saying support is not there yet."

Conclusions:
"Other than Roon support not yet being there, I can't critique anything."

vert

Forum Donor
Initial post in Amir's review:

"Upon power cycle I went to my Roon player to see if it sees the device but it did not! I could swear I was told it now had Roon support. Searching online showed that it should be there but nope. Power cycle did nothing. FAQ did nothing. Searching on WiiM site did not inform. Searched again and landed on a thread on Roon forum where it said the *Plus* version is yet to be certified. And that it is the standard WiiM Pro that is already there. What a mess. I put most of the blame on Roon for their slow process here but from WiiM front, I would have liked to see a notation in documentation/app saying support is not there yet."

Conclusions:
"Other than Roon support not yet being there, I can't critique anything."
I see. My version is the Pro. It works and it works well. I guess they'll validate the Pro Plus as well soon enough.

nanook

I have a couple of questions regarding the WIIM Pro (Plus)::

General:
1) How long does it take to boot the WIIM Pro (I usually interrupt the mains with a switchable power stripe)
2) Does the WIIM Pro remember settings when disconnected from mains?
a) Volume setting
b) Configuration settings (WLAN, NAS, etc.)
c) Input selection (which streaming service, optical input, BT input, analog input)
d) Power state (when it was "on" when the mains was removed does it come up "on" or in "standby"?

Volume Control:
3) Can I control the volume via
a) Spotify Android App (Volume up/down on mobile phone)?
b) Google Chrome (Chromecast) on Windows laptop?
c) Bluetooth via volume up/down on mobile phone?
4) Is the volume control also effective on the Toslink optical output?

Equalizer:
5) Is the equalizer available in all operation modes (streaming e.g. Spotify connect / Toslink input / Chromecast / Bluetooth input)
6) Is the 10-band equalizer available and working?
7) Is there a parametric equalizer indeed?
8) How many bands does the parametric equalizer have?
9) What are the parameters? Center frequency? width (quality factor)? gain/attenuation?
10) Is the equalizer (10-band and parametric also effective on the Toslink optical output?

I'd be pleased if someone can comment on these questions.
(Please excuse in case one or the other question has already been addressed elsewhere)

yllanos

I have a couple of questions regarding the WIIM Pro (Plus)::

General:
1) How long does it take to boot the WIIM Pro (I usually interrupt the mains with a switchable power stripe)
2) Does the WIIM Pro remember settings when disconnected from mains?
a) Volume setting
b) Configuration settings (WLAN, NAS, etc.)
c) Input selection (which streaming service, optical input, BT input, analog input)
d) Power state (when it was "on" when the mains was removed does it come up "on" or in "standby"?

Volume Control:
3) Can I control the volume via
a) Spotify Android App (Volume up/down on mobile phone)?
b) Google Chrome (Chromecast) on Windows laptop?
c) Bluetooth via volume up/down on mobile phone?
4) Is the volume control also effective on the Toslink optical output?

Equalizer:
5) Is the equalizer available in all operation modes (streaming e.g. Spotify connect / Toslink input / Chromecast / Bluetooth input)
6) Is the 10-band equalizer available and working?
7) Is there a parametric equalizer indeed?
8) How many bands does the parametric equalizer have?
9) What are the parameters? Center frequency? width (quality factor)? gain/attenuation?
10) Is the equalizer (10-band and parametric also effective on the Toslink optical output?

I'd be pleased if someone can comment on these questions.
(Please excuse in case one or the other question has already been addressed elsewhere)
I'll try (I own WiiM Pro, not Plus):

1) About 40 seconds. I know this because I also used to turn it on with a smart plug (I haven't turned it on in a while though)
2a) Yes
2b) Yes
2c) Yes
2d) It always starts as ON
3a) Sorry, I don't use Spotify
3b) I have only tried Chromecast from an iOS device and in this case, no (see #4)
3c) I don't care about Bluetooth, sorry (why would you? it's an inferior audio technology)
4) Yes, there is a global volume control which can be adjusted via native app. What I mean by global is: same effect in all outputs. I tried it a while back via TOSLINK to an external DAC and it worked as expected.
5) As far as I know, also global operation just like volume control.
6) I don't remember a 10-band PEQ on WiiM Pro, if I remember correctly is more like 4-band operation
7) You can switch between GEQ or PEQ
8) See #6
9) See here
10) Yes, all outputs will get the same effect (is no per-output setting)

I hope that's enough

D

Deleted member 48726

IR to volume control of external speakers (or Chromecast units) there seems to be an issue with the current iOS Spotify app version where you can't control the volume with the side buttons as before the update. You now have to go into the Spotify app and use the volume slider. -Hoping Spotify will remedy this in a future update soon.

Alp

in devices like wiim, why use bluetooth, when you can play anything from your mobile or any other network device via UPnP or with direct connection?
I agree that BT it's a nice plus but non so important, in my opinion obviously...
If that is so obvious, could you please tell me how to output sound from fire TV? It only supports Bluetooth and my projector don't have optical or coax out, so I have to rely on wireless connection.

So far the only solution is to use 1Mii B06Ultra, but it looses connection once in a while and produces audible shutter for half a second once per 10 min or so.

I am still searching for alternatives including building a separate mini PC just for damn Bluetooth to to toslink/USB audio.

If someone have any suggestions, please share, otherwise I will have to have a separate DAC that has Bluetooth LDAC just for projector audio output

Last edited:

nanook

I hope that's enough
Thanks a lot again for the information.
I have a WIIM Pro here meanwhile (will get accompanied by a D-6s DAC) and everything works flawless so far (Maybe except for editing the queue, which is an extremely poor implementation).

stringer

If that is so obvious, could you please tell me how to output sound from fire TV? It only supports Bluetooth and my projector don't have optical or coax out, so I have to rely on wireless connection.

So far the only solution is to use 1Mii B06Ultra, but it looses connection once in a while and produces audible shutter for half a second once per 10 min or so.

I am still searching for alternatives including building a separate mini PC just for damn Bluetooth to to toslink/USB audio.

If someone have any suggestions, please share, otherwise I will have to have a separate DAC that has Bluetooth LDAC just for projector audio output
Does the Fire TV have HDMI out? You can use a signal splitter to extract the audio signal from HDMI and convert to toslink/optical/USB audio.

nanook

If that is so obvious, could you please tell me ...
This is not so obvious to me.
My phone, my laptop (W10 with alternative A2DP driver) and the SMSL D-6s support LDAC. The measurements with a multitone stimulus indicated a performance that clearly competes (if not exceeds) CD quality 44/16.
Unfortunately the WIIM does not support LDAC or aptX HD or aptX Adaptive.

Alp

Does the Fire TV have HDMI out? You can use a signal splitter to extract the audio signal from HDMI and convert to toslink/optical/USB audio.
That's an option, thank you. However, I will prefer wireless connection since projector is mounted on the ceiling.

I also don't get why we are forced to use inferior Bluetooth while airplay and other lossless wifi solutions exist. Fire TV could have output sound to airplay and problem solved.

Top Bottom