• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

odessamarin

I was doing similar tests with the local content and LMS over chromecast. Results were bit perfect except fraction of second at the beginning of the song and at the end.
I will check it with Tidal today.
Thank you for this test!
How the local files was played? From NAS .. DLNA?
Its intresting, I am not happy with the sound from youtube music streamed trough chromcast to wiim pro. If I stream it with audio cast (dlna) with bubble upnp, sound much better in compare to chromcast. Could it be that the source from which you streame is important. In your case it was a PC. And I used my Samsung galaxy Phone.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Thank you for this test!
Its intresting, I am not happy with the sound from youtube music streamed trough chromcast to wiim pro. If I stream it with audio cast (dlna) with bubble upnp, sound much better in compare to chromcast. Could it be that the source from which you streame is important. In your case it was a PC. And I used my Samsung galaxy Phone.
Curious ,I just installed AudioCast on my huawei phone to check it out.
AudioCast looks almost Identical to the wiim app!
Strangely I think it sounds even better than the wiim app ??
Is it possible?
I've played from my Nas, Spotify and about to try YouTube.
Could be power of suggestion , it could be the rain outside ...dunno ,more listening needed
Love to hear others opinion on AudioCast .

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Curious ,I just installed AudioCast on my huawei phone to check it out.
AudioCast looks almost Identical to the wiim app!
Strangely I think it sounds even better than the wiim app ??
Is it possible?
I've played from my Nas, Spotify and about to try YouTube.
Could be power of suggestion , it could be the rain outside ...dunno ,more listening needed
Love to hear others opinion on AudioCast .
The Audiocast device uses a much older and far less accurate version of the Linkplay module used in the WiiM devices. It won’t play even 16/44.1 content bit perfect.

The app, however, should make no difference at all in the sound.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
The Audiocast device uses a much older and far less accurate version of the Linkplay module used in the WiiM devices. It won’t play even 16/44.1 content bit perfect.

The app, however, should make no difference at all in the sound.
interesting,I don't have any AudioCast devices , only wiim pro and wiim mini.
Have you listened to your wiim device using the AudioCast app?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thank you for this test!
I've used LMS and chromecast bridge plugin for LMS. Results may vary for different software for sure.

artburda

When playing local files, does Wiim display the different tracks from a single-file FLAC album?
Has anyone tested this? How does Wiim handle single-file FLAC albums? Does the Wiim App display the different tracks of the album or only the complete album as one track?

Big White

Hello, thanks for the review, I wonder if the jitter performance of Wiim mini's optical output and Wiim Pro's optical output is the same?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Hello, thanks for the review, I wonder if the jitter performance of Wiim mini's optical output and Wiim Pro's optical output is the same?
It seems to differ a bit but it shouldn't have any real impact for a decent DAC.

morillon

Major Contributor
in toslink ... the pro seems to have a significantly lower jitter than the mini (which is strong)

morillon

Major Contributor
and
long time ago a comparison, with a protocol allowing it, between a modest chromecast of 2014 and the mini .. and the mini ... it was not brilliant for the young mini .. (and even "pur" analog output elsewhere)
the pro is clearly cleaner...
even if necessarily disappoints a lot in dac or adc
(I have the feeling more than a year after my mini purchase and the recent arrival of the "pro"..
that
linkplay, big oem manufacturer , has just tried the experience of producing one or two affordable very mainstream models..
the audio part is clearly not their culture..

but we can imagine that more audiophile machines etc. from classic brands are coming and will come, based on their modules .. and which will benefit from linkplay efforts on things other than audio...)

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Asking again, as the discussion is about Wiim Pro DAC, aren't measurements almost the same with Bluesound Node... models?

Kegemusha

Asking again, as the discussion is about Wiim Pro DAC, aren't measurements almost the same with Bluesound Node... models?
Maybe easy to do a search in this site:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

When I switched over from using the WiiM Pro streamer’s analog to its coaxial digital output – something that can be easily done in the app – in order make sound quality comparisons with my integrated amp’s DAC, I felt that the WiiM Pro was definitely lagging somewhat when it came to detail resolution and dynamic punch. But the difference wasn’t so major that I was disappointed when I switched back to the streamer’s analog output, and I’m fairly certain most listeners would feel the same way.
:facepalm:

morillon

Major Contributor
the analog output of wiim" s" is very modest .. we have known for a long time ....
so it's not surprising, right?
( and probably a drc in analog output too in eq off or on)
(onlyoneme seems to point to new features concerning the audio part on a brand new firmware for the pro. (on the forum wiim or Post in thread 'Wiim Pro distortion on spdif input' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-distortion-on-spdif-input.41709/post-1530862
can be little good news and some efforts from wiim)

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
the analog output of wiim" s" is very modest .. we have known for a long time ....
so it's not surprising, right?
( and probably a drc in analog output too in eq off or on)
(onlyoneme seems to point to new features concerning the audio part on a brand new firmware for the pro. (on the forum wiim or Post in thread 'Wiim Pro distortion on spdif input' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-distortion-on-spdif-input.41709/post-1530862
can be little good news and some efforts from wiim)
Perhaps it's the language barrier. He's talking about the digital output (in the quote) "definitely lagging somewhat when it came to detail resolution and dynamic punch".

morillon

Major Contributor
no
wimm pro in analog output( dac of wiim) vs wiim pro in digital and the dac internal of the integré...
dac wiim vs dac of his amplifier
no?

Last edited:

Romario

Screenshot_20230324-175953_WiiM Home.jpg
new firmware, right?

Top Bottom