• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

wivl

and your measurements show that the pro is notably cleaner in digital
;-)
(the digital volume function must be a function implemented by texas ... like this possibility of this strong drc)
cleaner in terms of jitter on TosLink? Everything below 2 ns is excellent and does it matter if your DAC buffers all incoming data on SPDIF and reclocks it with its own precise FEMTO (VCXO) clock? I don’t think so… Anyone who has the mini and pro and notice a difference in sound on TosLink in his system?

jorgemg1984

I loved Chromecast Audio when I used it a few years back - but I wasn't able to get it to do gapless playbacl. Does the Wiim Pro manage to get gapless playback out of Chromecast Audio? Thanks!

buxtehude

Here is a quick update and first, here is how I am using WiiM Pro
  • Not using any of the web streaming features of WiiM Pro.
  • Not using any wireless features and turned off WiFi on WiiM Pro.
  • Local Ethernet only
  • Stream Apple Music from Macbook Pro to WiiM Pro locally via AirPlay.
Screengrab showing WiiM Pro WAN traffic over the past 7 days.
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 3.11.28 PM.jpg

Firewall Stats
Kap 2023-03-18 at 15.29.52.gif

Since I set up my firewall, which was like a week ago, WiiM Pro has attempted to send 590523082 Bytes of data. That's about 590 Megabytes. I did not update the firmware or use any WiiM apps during this time. I only AirPlayed to it locally via ethernet for about 1 hour daily.

And for the last 7 days, WiiM Pro made more DNS queries than my main computer MacBook Pro!!
Screenshot 2023-03-18.jpg

Once again I am not saying this is good or bad, and surely these stats aren't as bad as Google and Amazon IoT devices. I am simply sharing my findings.

Besides everything I mentioned above, I am happy with my new kitchen setup. When I was using WiiM Pro only, the sound was terrible. But adding the cheap SMSL DAC made a noticeable difference.
img-100.jpg

Last edited:

Lasker

Here is a quick update and first, here is how I am using WiiM Pro
  • Not using any of the web streaming features of WiiM Pro.
  • Not using any wireless features and turned off WiFi on WiiM Pro.
  • Local Ethernet only
  • Stream Apple Music from Macbook Pro to WiiM Pro locally via AirPlay.
Screengrab showing WiiM Pro WAN traffic over the past 7 days.
View attachment 272946

Firewall Stats
View attachment 272948
Since I set up my firewall, which was like a week ago, WiiM Pro has attempted to send 590523082 Bytes of data. That's about 590 Megabytes. I did not update the firmware or use any WiiM apps during this time. I only AirPlayed to it locally via ethernet for about 1 hour daily.

And for the last 7 days, WiiM Pro made more DNS queries than my main computer MacBook Pro!!
View attachment 272957

Once again I am not saying this is good or bad, and surely these stats aren't as bad as Google and Amazon IoT devices. I am simply sharing my findings.

Besides everything I mentioned above, I am happy with my new kitchen setup. When I was using WiiM Pro only, the sound was terrible. But adding the cheap SMSL DAC made a noticeable difference.
View attachment 272961
Maybe wiim try continuously to send same data because not have any response from the net, Is this a possible explanetion? Any way 95% of the devices connected in our home are made in china, what we can do? Anyone ask to wiim?

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Concerns about the bit perfectness with Tidal app playback:

Any concerns about the methodology? Would like to see this tested with Wiim and Tidal Connect, not only through Chromecast protocol or Wiim apo
I was doing similar tests with the local content and LMS over chromecast. Results were bit perfect except fraction of second at the beginning of the song and at the end.
I will check it with Tidal today.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I was doing similar tests with the local content and LMS over chromecast. Results were bit perfect except fraction of second at the beginning of the song and at the end.
I will check it with Tidal today.
So, comparison results between chromecasted 44.1/24 content and Connect content. MQA on the WiiM has been disabled. PC app was used for chromecast, iOS app used for Connect.

1679217795543.png

It's basically bitperfect except the beginning and the end, as the WiiM adds a fade effect which is much shorter in case of chromecast.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Am I wrong or Pro measurements for Wifi streaming/ RCA out are on par with last model of Bluesound Node/ Powernode?

bill poster

Same software /app as Arylic (correct if wrong) I wonder how it compares to their HD board streamer dac (just as a streamer)

artburda

When playing local files, does Wiim display the different tracks from a single-file FLAC album?

Karu

Forum Donor
So I bought the W Pro to replace my SHD as I moved from G 8030c to 8331s. Going from Coax out to Digital in on the Genelecs.

But it’s unusable as I have a massive ground loop. Are there any easy and cheap options to fix?

E.g. this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...-to-coaxial-converter-reversible-p-15796.html

Or I have to go optical out to a balanced DAC? Such as the E50 on sale now? I hate the extra boxes but I already sold the SHD.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
So I bought the W Pro to replace my SHD as I moved from G 8030c to 8331s. Going from Coax out to Digital in on the Genelecs.

But it’s unusable as I have a massive ground loop. Are there any easy and cheap options to fix?

E.g. this https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...-to-coaxial-converter-reversible-p-15796.html

Or I have to go optical out to a balanced DAC? Such as the E50 on sale now? I hate the extra boxes but I already sold the SHD.
I had a similar converter for testing from amazon and I've returned it because of its low quality, a conversion wasn't transparent.
Toslink will fix the issue if the ground loop is due to the cable connection between Pro and Genelec. An isolating transformer for coax should help too.

BTW, how do you connect unbalanced Pro to balanced Genelec?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I am using one of these (to the digital in on Genelec)

It seems to be AES to spdif rather than spdif to AES as it has 110 ohm impedance, not 75 ohm. No idea if it's an obstacle or not. No idea also if XLR ground pin is connected here to the RCA shield or not.
What about the earth grounding on the WiiM side and on the Genelec? I'm curious how the ground loop has came into being.

Top Bottom