• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

JktHifi

I’m still cautious to let new device conected to internet inside my home network. Apple and Windows devices inside my network are updated frequently along with their apps.

Have anyone audit this streamer security? What is it doing inside the network? Most of the smart devices like this are being able to be called from outside so I put them on different network from my iPad and PC. That means my Wiim app on my iPad can not connect to the streamer.

anli

Hi Anli,

I'm not sure to understand your question...:rolleyes:

• A NAS is always on. It goes into standby mode after a period of inactivity. Any network request to its shares and/or services will wake it up.
  • The streamer is going into standby mode too if you do not use it for a defined period of time. It's waking up as soon as you want to play something.
Does this answer your question?
Exactly, thanks.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So basically if youre not a coax type of guy just buy the mini? Glad I did cause I figured this would be the case.

IMO the key value add for Pro is the 12V trigger.

Wonder if they can work with SMSL or topping to make a combo unit and a legit AIO.

That wouldn’t be an AIO really. So far none of those companies have implemented the minimum requirements for that (PEQ as a baseline, ideally bass management too).

Tangband

Major Contributor
I’m still cautious to let new device conected to internet inside my home network. Apple and Windows devices inside my network are updated frequently along with their apps.

Have anyone audit this streamer security? What is it doing inside the network? Most of the smart devices like this are being able to be called from outside so I put them on different network from my iPad and PC. That means my Wiim app on my iPad can not connect to the streamer.
This might be a relevant question . Yamaha wxc50 connects to wifi using the usual passwords and security as your home wifi, and I guess its the same with device - except its constructed and manufactured in China…
My Apple Tv has updates and I guess its also for security ?

The same question can be asked for all new smart tv:s, all connected to wifi. Are they safe ?

JktHifi

This might be a relevant question . Yamaha wxc50 connects to wifi using the usual passwords and security as your home wifi, and I guess its the same with device - except its constructed and manufactured in China…
My Apple Tv has updates and I guess its also for security ?

The same question can be asked for all new smart tv:s, all connected to wifi. Are they safe ?
As long as it needs your mobile phone as the controller (via network/ip), it’s all the same. But there’s a new streamer from Fiio R7 which has its own screen. It doesn’t need your mobile phone.

I don’t control my TV using my mobile phone. Controlled by IR remote only. And the smart TV, smart switch, smart lamp, smart door, smart camera, etc are all put on different network from my mobile phone

Last edited:

OldManMatt

Hi @OldManMatt, wireless networking has come a long way so it's not really about the impact it has on audio performance, you will still get top-notch performance via wireless. However, wireless signals are subject to interference from other wireless devices that are running within the vicinity e.g. neighbours or nearby buildings or commercial establishments. This is true especially for apartment blocks. Such interference in the wireless domain can effect the speed of wireless networks. When speed is effected or the speed drops, it does not mean that the audio suffers because wireless audio streaming devices incorporate buffers (information reserves) designed to compensate for any wireless speed compromise, this ensures that the audio fidelity is not affected.

Wired connections are much more reliable and robust as they are not subject to any interference as long as you don't run the network cable close to an electrical cable. Wired connections always and constantly provide optimal speeds.

Hope that helps.
Yes this sort of information does help..as well as clarify some of the information that is false and recklessly given across the internet. Little topics like this are one of the many reasons I love the ASR Forum and the people that participate here. I truly appreciate y'all's feedback.

Thanks

AAudio

Great question! A security audit would be welcome!

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Have anyone audit this streamer security? What is it doing inside the network?
Compared to Apple and Windows computers, Wiim has the advantage that it doesn't have general Internet connectivity. Wiim only connects to a few well-known services that are unlikely to mount attacks against users. Within the local network, I have read on this forum that Wiim devices share quite a lot of information without authentication, so if other devices in the same network are not trustworthy, this is a problem.

If you suspect that Wiim's firmware contains malware and opens a backdoor to your network, it is not possible to rule that out. This is a potential which is common with all kinds of devices where software is unaudited. Uncovering a backdoor in a firmware would cause a significat loss of brand value, so manufacturers wouldn't usually do it intentionally. Devices with different levels of trust could be segmented into different networks, but streamers should be accessible in the same network as their controlling devices, because otherwise usability is decreased.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
You can always purchase one of those network monitors, it shows activities of devices with data. Clearly if a unit is using data when it’s not in use will show any activity that isn’t typical.

Only 1 or 200, for piece of mind if anyone is worried.

In addition, most modern/higher end or gaming routers always monitor activity for free just on web ui. I know most people never use web ui for a router. Mine even allows you to shut off the internet to devices.

I really doubt this is any type of major risk or compromise.

Magnefan02

I bought the mini to replace an Audio lab 6000n (Which is a complete basket case) and it has been a lot better in every way. I am thoroughly impressed and I will probably upgrade to the pro.

buxtehude

Thanks for the great review. I know I should only talk about audio on this forum. But I'll ask since I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.
Wiim Pro works great, but I have one minor concern. Usually, these IoT network devices send tons of data home (back to Google.. or China, wherever...) So I set up a firewall to block WiiM Pro from reaching the internet. And judging by the stats, Wiim Pro is attempting to send some kind of data constantly. I can't see what it is. Is it something I should be worried about? I know the connection is blocked by my firewall but I'd love to find out why this little device is constantly trying to reach the internet even when I am not using it.

BTW If it's way off-topic, please delete my post.

Kapture 2023-03-12 at 22.08.08.gif

This is screen captured about 1 hr after setting up the firewall.

Last edited:

JktHifi

Compared to Apple and Windows computers, Wiim has the advantage that it doesn't have general Internet connectivity. Wiim only connects to a few well-known services that are unlikely to mount attacks against users. Within the local network, I have read on this forum that Wiim devices share quite a lot of information without authentication, so if other devices in the same network are not trustworthy, this is a problem.

If you suspect that Wiim's firmware contains malware and opens a backdoor to your network, it is not possible to rule that out. This is a potential which is common with all kinds of devices where software is unaudited. Uncovering a backdoor in a firmware would cause a significat loss of brand value, so manufacturers wouldn't usually do it intentionally. Devices with different levels of trust could be segmented into different networks, but streamers should be accessible in the same network as their controlling devices, because otherwise usability is decreased.
Most of the attackers are using exisiting device in the network. I‘m not talking Yamaha, Onkyo, or Wiim streaming devices do the bad job but the attacker use one of them (ride on it). It needs strong firmware update frequently. I think it will cost a lot for them.

Joffy1780

Thanks for the great review. I know I should only talk about audio on this forum. But I'll ask since I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.
Wiim Pro works great, but I have one minor concern. Usually, these IoT network devices send tons of data home (back to Google.. or China, wherever...) So I set up a firewall to block WiiM Pro from reaching the internet. And judging by the stats, Wiim Pro is attempting to send some kind of data constantly. I can't see what it is. Is it something I should be worried about? I know the connection is blocked by my firewall but I'd love to find out why this little device is constantly trying to reach the internet even when I am not using it.

View attachment 271325
Have you queried it with Wiim? Try contacting them directly or even posting on the Wiim forum. They seem very responsive and helpful.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

View attachment 271325
Is it for new connections only or for any outgoing communication?

Joffy1780

Nothing on WiiM forum re network security.
Start a new thread or use the 'send us feedback' option on the Wiim home app.

Sam Ash

View attachment 271325

Interesting and thank you for your efforts. Please do let us know your findings and if WiiM responds.

clauded

View attachment 271325
I did a quick check for the traffic on my device: I see connections to Google and Amazon. This is normal in my case as I'm subscribed to Amazon Music and the WiiM Pro has a Chromecast embedded. The WiiM will also try to fetch firmware upgrades from Internet. Of course, this does not prove the WiiM is a safe device but it explains part of this behavior.

Top Bottom