• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a portable hard drive connected via usb to an ASUS mesh WiFi node and files stored on two laptops. I can access them in a few clicks via the Wiim home app.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got the Wiim Pro (Amazon same day delivery!). Turned it on, slow blinking white light as suggested in quick start guide, installed app (Android), app can't find device. What a great start!

Edit: Tried all the troubleshooting steps on their website.

Last edited:

SonicSleuth

Got the Wiim Pro (Amazon same day delivery!). Turned it on, slow blinking white light as suggested in quick start guide, installed app (Android), app can't find device. What a great start!

That's rubbish sorry to hear that, I just had mine from Amazon yesterday and I was surprised how easy it was, try reinstalling the app (if you haven't already, which I'm sure you have) otherwise a quick return and try again, its worth the effort, as when it works it really IS seemless and fast.

Anyone any suggestions for a DAC to pair it with?

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

Do you have Bluetooth enabled? I believe they use BLE to help make the setup process as painless as most of us found it to be. Also, make sure your phone and the WiiM can access the same WiFi network.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BT is on. Same network. Tried reinstalling app. Tried android and iOS. Tried power cycling the device.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being on the same network should not matter for initial discovery since it won’t have the credentials for my Wi-Fi. Usually these things have their own Wi-Fi endpoint for setup. Setup then connects to home Wi-Fi once the pairing is complete. I can’t even pair.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s not promising. Do you have any advanced firewall software? You have the HTP-1 so it’s clear you have above average technical skill ;)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s not promising. Do you have any advanced firewall software? You have the HTP-1 so it’s clear you have above average technical skill ;)

Ha ha, indeed. I am in big tech for a coupe of decades :D so I run through troubleshooting steps pretty quickly. Funny enough, I have probably had one of the most stable units of the HTP-1.

I have set up many wifi devices without issues on my network. I have a Google wifi mesh running stable for years. No advanced firewall. As I was saying above, initial setup usually involves device hosting its own wifi endpoint, so there should be no problem discovering the device and no firewall issue. If its using BT, I have no way of telling if BT is on on the device (I did the press and hold on +/- buttons but there is no indication. Buttons don't even have tactile feedback). I am just going by the slow blinking light which is supposed to be the initial state.

Amazon won't let me buy more than 1 unit on the lightning deal. I've contacted Wiim support (I seriously doubt they can do anything) so unless they help me fix this, this unit is going back and I am done with Wiim I think.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered one today but it won’t arrive until tomorrow.

On iOS, it wanted location (not sure), Bluetooth to find the Wiim Mini (presumably the pro also) and Wifi for the network. Definitely looks like it is dependent on BT for setup not its own AP.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The app found the unit now. I brought the device upstairs to my office where I have the primary wifi endpoint in the mesh. I do not yet understand why this would fix things but it did. Could also be a coincidence. Its downloading new firmware now.

Playing music now from Roon via chromecast. Using analog out… gasp. With EQ. Sounds fine so far.

For me chromecast support (for Youtube music and Roon) is the key feature here. And EQ. I would have been okay paying more if the DAC measured better.

Thank you for all the responses.

Last edited:

chris256

I am thinking about using this device in conjunction with RME ADI 2 DAC FS (coax or opt). The network interface will be Ethernet in LAN only mode (internet access completely blocked).
Answering myself:
Solved it without WiiM Pro! mpd and upmpdcli are the much better solution. Installed it on an already existing APU 1 (it's my wlan / ethernet gateway providing the network acces for audio and video devices since years) and connected it to RME ADI 2 DAC FS via USB. Works perfectly and stable - bit perfect tested! T+A music player now is mostly useless (only for CD needed in the future). The RME / APU combi saved me a lot of money :) and even electricity.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial impressions
1) not loving the interface. For my local server, if I use the folder list, there is no “alphabet” quick jump option
2) not loving the interface for streaming. When scrolling through something like my Amazon Music library, it doesn’t pre buffer the album art. So if I am trying to scroll down to something toward the end of the alphabet, it’s pretty annoying.
3) Amazon Music HD works nicely with auto switching of sample rates

_Piotr

I love it except one thing, it doesn't switch inputs automatically. I have to go to the app every single time I want to watch the tv or listen to music. Tempted to just buy the remote now.

SonicSleuth

Answering myself:
Solved it without WiiM Pro! mpd and upmpdcli are the much better solution. Installed it on an already existing APU 1 (it's my wlan / ethernet gateway providing the network acces for audio and video devices since years) and connected it to RME ADI 2 DAC FS via USB. Works perfectly and stable - bit perfect tested! T+A music player now is mostly useless (only for CD needed in the future). The RME / APU combi saved me a lot of money :) and even electricity.
but your solution costs over £1200, for the rest of us normal folk with normal amounts of money to spend that simply ISNT a solution, I am happy you've found a "better" solution for you but, for ME, the Wiim Pro provides a freedom that no other device I have tried yet could, it simply WORKS and for £149 I paid, I think it's worth it.

SonicSleuth

I love it except one thing, it doesn't switch inputs automatically. I have to go to the app every single time I want to watch the tv or listen to music. Tempted to just buy the remote now.
There is a setting called "Auto sense audio input" try that.

SonicSleuth

I ordered one today but it won’t arrive until tomorrow.

On iOS, it wanted location (not sure), Bluetooth to find the Wiim Mini (presumably the pro also) and Wifi for the network. Definitely looks like it is dependent on BT for setup not its own AP.
Everything network based wants your location these days, I don't like it either but it is what it is. It probably some CCP plot to take over the world, or some sort of marketing data gathering to see where their userbase is most active. One thing I will say is I'm SO glad they dont as you to make an account, because THAT would **** me off, and it would be going straight back!

_Piotr

There is a setting called "Auto sense audio input" try that.
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately that doesn't work. It'll not switch back from the WIFI(spotify) back to SPDIF input.
I'm going to try something else though. Just ordered the amazon dot 5, hoping alexa can switch inputs. If it doesn't work I'll go for the remote

chris256

but your solution costs over £1200, for the rest of us normal folk with normal amounts of money to spend that simply ISNT a solution, I am happy you've found a "better" solution for you but, for ME, the Wiim Pro provides a freedom that no other device I have tried yet could, it simply WORKS and for £149 I paid, I think it's worth it.
The Wiim Pro basically provides two functions: DAC (mediocre - there are state of the art DACs < £1200) and streaming (quality as expected according the test). I replaced the streaming part and combined a good DAC which just works as expected today. Exactly that's what the OP wrote:
Weighting the pros and cons, I will give the WiiM Pro my recommendation, based on how I would (and will!) use it for myself. For the price, it just does its job, and in a great manner. Period.

I'm saying: There is even one more solution :) - you don't need this device at all if you are able to build your own upnp stack! The way I described (building an own upnp stack and combine it with a better DAC) means: you can get much more of both sides :)

Top Bottom