• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro or Wiim Mini+Dac

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I am surprised at all the pumpers of this product. I agree it is inexpensive and for the price it does sound fine. Maybe some do not have a very resolving system and cannot tell the difference. I was testing with headphones so easier to hear the lack of detail and depth and width of soundstage. A non audiophile person could hear the difference between the WiiM and just the Node not to mention better streamers.
ROFL.

irontortoise

Wow a Moderator would post some lame comment like that?

I spent hours testing and system matching. The WiiM mini is ok for $80 but does not compare to other streamers in sound quality - that is a fact.

I will not waste any more time on this as you likely will just delete the post anyway.

Thanks for being lame.
Show us measurements, otherwise this is meaningless.

Michael G

Wow a Moderator would post some lame comment like that?

I spent hours testing and system matching. The WiiM mini is ok for $80 but does not compare to other streamers in sound quality - that is a fact.

I will not waste any more time on this as you likely will just delete the post anyway.

Thanks for being lame.
Curious as to what are you basing this comment on?

LeonidK

I have compared the following two configurations:

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 via AES/EBU to Mark Levinson 360S
WiiM Mini via optical to the same DAC

The latter is noticeably worse sounding. I know I should probably compare apples to apples (use optical in both cases) but I haven't bothered yet.

Michael G

I have compared the following two configurations:

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 via AES/EBU to Mark Levinson 360S
WiiM Mini via optical to the same DAC

The latter is noticeably worse sounding. I know I should probably compare apples to apples (use optical in both cases) but I haven't bothered yet.
Out of curiosity, what are you using as a music source for both the Matrix, and the Mini?

LeonidK

Out of curiosity, what are you using as a music source for both the Matrix, and the Mini?
Matrix is connected to a laptop that either runs the Qobuz app or local streaming from a NAS. WiiM is used with Qobuz streaming from an iPhone.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Streaming from an Iphone to Wiim is totally diferent than: Wiim streaming via Wifi or Ethernet. So which one?

dweeeeb2

OP there is a forum on the wiim home page. Someone has done some measurements. Both DAC’s are pretty average. When using EQ you lose bit perfect output. Pro can eq an optical in which could be handy.

Michael G

No, it doesn't mean Bluetooth. WiiM receives commands from the control app but it is itself the source.
Just to confirm, are you receiving Qobuz through a wifi connection to the Mini with the Mini itself being controlled through an app on the phone? Also, what is the bit rate being sent to your dac through both the Matrix and the Mini?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Matrix is connected to a laptop that either runs the Qobuz app or local streaming from a NAS. WiiM is used with Qobuz streaming from an iPhone.
So you probably use AirPlay to cast Qobuz content from your iPhone to the WiiM as there is no "Qobuz Connect" feature yet available.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I know I should probably compare apples to apples

Have you looked into how to do a comparison that might be useful?

Our host put together a video to help better understand what a controlled test might look like:

Overseas

Major Contributor
The 2 setups may sound different.
Vintage Flanker just measured the Pro for Wifi streaming with optical out. It is perfect.

If you messed with EQ in one of the setups, then it can explain.

LeonidK

Last edited:
Top Bottom