• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro distortion on spdif input

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMO proper ASRC (not sample dropping/duplication) would not create the stream discontinuities.
The Pro can pass RME bit perfect test when its digital input is fed with the test signal. ASRC devices can't do that.
How long is the test? If the test were to run between buffer issues, the stream would be bit perfect.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Test setup was a RME Fireface 800 being feed via a TB2/FW adapter from a 2015 MacBook pro. TOSLINK output of the RME was routed to TOSLINK input of the Wiim and TOSLINK output of Wiim was routed back to RME TOSLINK input, ADAT 1 output of the RME was also routed to ADAT 1 input of the RME to act as a clock reference. RME used it's internal clock as master. Routing matrix was set such that SPDIF output was also feed to ADAT 1 output. With this, setup ADAT 1 and TOSLINK inputs of the RME should be identical if the Wiim is not modifying the signal.
This scenario wasn't possible to be arranged with your Motu instead of RME?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This scenario wasn't possible to be arranged with your Motu instead of RME?

From an input / output perspective the MOTU could do it, but the RME provides more information on digital inputs.

The RME reports if digital inputs are sync'd to the current clock and reports digital input sample rate. The MOTU only reports clock sync / lock if it is being clocked by an external digital input, but not if it is using its own internal clock.

Michael

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The RME reports if digital inputs are sync'd to the current clock and reports digital input sample rate. The MOTU only reports clock sync / lock if it is being clocked by an external digital input, but not if it is using its own internal clock.
Thx, good to know. I consider buying UltraLite-mk5 but I do not have any experience with Motu, so I think about Fireface UCX II also.

zeppelin2

Hmmm well unfortunately after a month or more of satisfactory spdif behaviour (ie OK sound quality which did not deteriorate, or mute/dropout) it seems like a recent firmware update has broken it again! Now I'm getting noticeably poor/sibilant sound quality almost all the time, along with regular dropouts (muting). In fact it's worse than it ever was at the start, I'm getting dropouts every few seconds or so sometimes now. Firmware version is 4.8.511631
Very disappointed.

Hi JVN01, I had similar issues as you did around that time but they seemed to have been fixed at some point not too long after. However, I'm getting the issues again. Curious if it's something that you've noticed as well.

Recent firmware update 4.8.539349 (2023-12-21) mentions changes to the SPDIF inputs, so it's very likely because of that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240113-115051.png
    Screenshot_20240113-115051.png
    491.5 KB · Views: 33
One of my use cases is going in from a high end vintage CD player to my Wiim Pro over spdif and out Coax to my Topping DX3Pro+ DAC. I like this because I can EQ the CD sound in the Wiim app this way. Is the sound negatively impacted to the point where I should go directly to my DAC Coax from the CD player instead?

Top Bottom