• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Is it possible to defeat that?

I was initially excited by this device but the issues with EQ seemed to demonstrate that the developers of the audio pipeline don't know what they are doing.
No idea, but when I submitted "fade" issue initially 3 moths ago it was much shorter. Now it has been even extended.

I've seen something like that before:

1676636647902.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Can you reference the graph so the rest of us can understand what you’re talking about?

Edit… I see… somehow “yours” fades track in & out for some reason…

Mine does not do that. Mine is bitperfect (gapless) from my JRiver server via the JRiver remote client app (iOS or Android).
Two different DACs, two WiiMs - Pro and Mini, casting from LMS and from WiiM Home app. The same fade effect.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
No, it's 0.4 s at the beginning.
And not for any tracks, just at the beginning of the stream.
But, on the other hand, every track will be affected if sample rate changes for example, as every time a new stream will be initiated.

Merifon

But, on the other hand, every track will be affected if sample rate changes for example, as every time a new stream will be initiated.
However, this could also happen in the analog domain. Who knows? The gain of the opamps can be varied...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I can imagine that this fade effect has been added to possibly reduce popping / clicking due to constant switching off and on toslink output.

Merifon

Maybe, but I didn't touch the analog domain here. It's purely digital.
OK, I was assuming that those checks were on analog out...
Anyway, on a given instant, outside the fading process, are the ouputted bits the same as those in input?
If yes, in that instant could we say we are in a bitperfect phase?
I know it's matter of philosophy...

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
OK, I was assuming that those checks were on analog out...
Anyway, on a given instant, outside the fading process, are the ouputted bits the same as those in input?
If yes, in that instant could we say we are in a bitperfect phase?
I know it's matter of philosophy...
Yes, even when using a cheap 40 eur toslink-2-usb recorder I was receiving the same audio data as the source.

bismarck

I can imagine that this fade effect has been added to possibly reduce popping / clicking due to constant switching off and on toslink output.
Yes, I think so too.
BTW, I use the coax output and nevertheless I hear popping and clicking when I skip a track.

Bamyasi

I don't know...
Some DAC chips (e.g. AKM) are known to make popping sounds when the input's sampling rate is changed. DAC manufacturers use workarounds like installing relays which temporarily toggles output. The only chip models I know of that do not have this problem at all are ESS, likely because they resample all input internally.

rarewolf

Some DAC chips (e.g. AKM) are known to make popping sounds when the input's sampling rate is changed. DAC manufacturers use workarounds like installing relays which temporarily toggles output. The only chip models I know of that do not have this problem at all are ESS, likely because they resample all input internally.

“Some DAC chips…”?

Are you sure it isn’t the design, or the implementation? Why would it be “some” and not something all AKM chips have in common? And, if it’s not something they all have in common, why would you expect it to be in newer chips?

Seems like a generalization without supporting evidence… #jussayin

Bamyasi

“Some DAC chips…”?

Are you sure it isn’t the design, or the implementation? Why would it be “some” and not something all AKM chips have in common? And, if it’s not something they all have in common, why would you expect it to be in newer chips?

Seems like a generalization without supporting evidence… #jussayin
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say. And why. Anyways, I was just answering OP question, that's it.

rarewolf

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say. And why. Anyways, I was just answering OP question, that's it.

I’m just saying… if it isn’t ALL AKM chips, then it’s most likely not the chip… but the implementation…

Top Bottom