• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

rarewolf

Are there any audible differences between using TOSlink (Mini) vs coaxial (Pro)?

I’ve heard of “jitter” problems with optical, but what does that sound like?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there any audible differences between using TOSlink (Mini) vs coaxial (Pro)?

Toslink jitter will be a non issue with any competent DAC. The only difference, likely inaudible, might be the ability of the coax to handle resolution greater than 192..

antcollinet

Master Contributor

Unless you are sending it to an incompetent dac it doesn’t sound like anything. even if you are it most likely still doesn’t sound like anything.

rarewolf

My Topping DAC is certainly competent. I believe my problem is that I cannot quite accept the Mini as real… as in, “too good to be true”, and that I should have spent a lot more than $100! The damn thing is so practical and functional, I figure something has to be wrong with the sound quality…

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
My Topping DAC is certainly competent. I believe my problem is that I cannot quite accept the Mini as real… as in, “too good to be true”, and that I should have spent a lot more than $100! The damn thing is so practical and functional, I figure something has to be wrong with the sound quality…
Well, Patek watch will not measure the time better than Casio. But yes, you will find people who say that WiiM's SQ is worse than X, Y or Z.

rarewolf

Well, Patek watch will not measure the time better than Casio. But yes, you will find people who say that WiiM's SQ is worse than X, Y or Z.

I had to look up your reference to “Patek”… #HAHA

How much worse could it be? I’m only using it to stream PCM (even if I do wish it were USB)…

On another note regarding functionality: Once installed and configured (via WiiM app and Bluetooth) for using other player apps and pointing them at the WiiM output device, I don’t any longer have to use Bluetooth. JRemote simply and transparently works, short of a small delay for the 1st track.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I had to look up your reference to “Patek”… #HAHA

How much worse could it be? I’m only using it to stream PCM (even if I do wish it were USB)…

On another note regarding functionality: Once installed and configured (via WiiM app and Bluetooth) for using other player apps and pointing them at the WiiM output device, I don’t any longer have to use Bluetooth. JRemote simply and transparently works, short of a small delay for the 1st track.
From my perspective you will get exactly the same audio quality over toslink from WiiM to your DAC as with any other bit-perfect capable transport. As long as you stay away of EQ in the WiiM.
There are evident drawbacks of low WiiM's price - overall build quality is not the best, toslink socket is fragile, analog audio section is at the budget line, jitter could be lower but clock components are probably far from perfect. None of them affects audio quality when connected to your DAC. Ok, avoid unplugging your toslink cable frequently...

Last edited:

Witterings

New FW update, 4.6.503558.

Well that's worked like a POS .... Every 5 minutes it goes silent, the slider bar in Amazon on my tablet is still going across, I have to stop casting and then start casting again ... totally unusable in it's current state.

Whilst I appreciate they're doing their best to improve it at least F**&&g test it adequately before new FM updates ar released.

Some people don't mind being the guinea pig / tester but the majority have no f....g interest what so ever and just want it to work.

People say .... send them a ticket .... I'm sorry I have better things to do with my life than keep sending them tickets.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Well that's worked like a POS .... Every 5 minutes it goes silent, the slider bar in Amazon on my tablet is still going across, I have to stop casting and then start casting again ... totally unusable in it's current state.

Whilst I appreciate they're doing their best to improve it at least F**&&g test it adequately before new FM updates ar released.

Some people don't mind being the guinea pig / tester but the majority have no f....g interest what so ever and just want it to work.

People say ....s end them a ticket .... I'm sorry I have better things to do with my life than keep sending them tickets.
I had the same issues. I would avoid this firmware version.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

People say .... send them a ticket .... I'm sorry I have better things to do with my life than keep sending them tickets.
Haven't noticed but I simply didn't listen to AM today.

Edit: I have no such isssue.

Last edited:

imral3

I am experiencing no issues listening to complete albums on AMHD.

imral3

Did you get release note on 3558?
Screenshot_20230106-165229_WiiM Home.jpg

Bamyasi

Much of this frustration should go to Amazon since this kind of things happen periodically on all of my Amazon devices, not just WiiM. Amazon seems to upgrade the API on their servers and then let them stay out of sync, breaking havoc for the Alexa clients. I guess with such a massive infrustructure some level of instability is expected but it can be really annoying at times.

rcstevensonaz

I guess with such a massive infrustructure some level of instability is expected but it can be really annoying at times.
Expected yes, but that is only because they choose to allow instability — it is not "inevitable". There are incredibly large, complex infrastructures that dwarf the size of Amazon Music yet deliver close to (or above) five 9's for decades on end.

Top Bottom