• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Overseas

Major Contributor
Interesting that Audio Pro has beat WiiM to the punch with Linkplay's own technology. $300 though, a lot more coin.

Nice looking unit, includes Chromecast.

link1-link2-compare-1.png
@Ralph_Cramden
I am interested, but no clear specs on their site. Do you have this or know the brand?

Bamyasi

Maybe I'm wrong but with Tidal's use, the toslink led goes off in two cases only:
-Immediately, if I disconnect wiim from Tidal, in Tidal app.
-After the set timeout, if I pause the playing.

It doesn't go off in track changing. Could be stream service dependent.
The blink is very brief, fraction of a second. You may not even notice it by bare eye but my automatic optical switch does notice and it triggers a full port rescan, which usually takes 1-2 seconds. So I get 1-2 seconds dropouts at the beginning of each new track when using next track/previous track button. I do not have Tidal sub but Amazon Music, Qobus and DLNA/UPnP (Home Music Share) WiiM services all behave the same.

Once again, my Chromcast Audio (connected to same optical switch) does not do this LED blinking and thus changes tracks perfectly smoothly when streaming from Qobuz or DLNA/UPnP. So it is definitely doable, just that WiiM developers do not seem to care.

waveuk

I have been using Roon for some years, mainly for streaming convenience. Due to price and that while I use Qubuz other in the family use Spotify I been trying to see some other stream options.

I got a Wiim Mini a few days ago. While streaming works very well I am a bit disappointed with SQ. I hear significantly more floor noise thank Roon ==> RPi (USB)

Not sure if just my setup bud does other have the same issue? Also should a Bluesound Node have better SQ? In any case I use a Qutest DAC.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have been using Roon for some years, mainly for streaming convenience. Due to price and that while I use Qubuz other in the family use Spotify I been trying to see some other stream options.

I got a Wiim Mini a few days ago. While streaming works very well I am a bit disappointed with SQ. I hear significantly more floor noise thank Roon ==> RPi (USB)

Not sure if just my setup bud does other have the same issue? Also should a Bluesound Node have better SQ? In any case I use a Qutest DAC.
It's quite weird to hear floor noise of the device which has noise level below -140 dBFS. Qutest seemed to measure very well with strong jitter rejection over spdif so I've no idea what is wrong.

Witterings

Is there any advantage to using the fixed output volume output and does it make any difference to the sound quality does anyone know?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The blink is very brief, fraction of a second. You may not even notice it by bare eye but my automatic optical switch does notice and it triggers a full port rescan, which usually takes 1-2 seconds. So I get 1-2 seconds dropouts at the beginning of each new track when using next track/previous track button. I do not have Tidal sub but Amazon Music, Qobus and DLNA/UPnP (Home Music Share) WiiM services all behave the same.

Once again, my Chromcast Audio (connected to same optical switch) does not do this LED blinking and thus changes tracks perfectly smoothly when streaming from Qobuz or DLNA/UPnP. So it is definitely doable, just that WiiM developers do not seem to care.
It looks like clock locking over spdif for me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any advantage to using the fixed output volume output and does it make any difference to the sound quality does anyone know?
well assuming it is doing volume processing in at least 24 bits, then you can go to -48db volume, and still retain redbook (16 bit) dynamic range/noise floor. So about 1/32 percieved volume, assuming each 10dB halves the perceived volume.

That is a reduction of 1/63000 of the power. So no, I don't think you need to worry about sound quality on the volume control - if it is correctly implemented.

Witterings

You mean fixed vs 100%? I haven't noticed any difference.

Sorry ... I wasn't very clear, I meant if you're running it at less than 100%.
It's so convenient having volume control so accessible on your phone so if it wasn't in fixed mode I'd probably tend to leave it at around 60/65% so I've got room for a reasonable increase or decrease in volume.
It's also useful for adjusting multiroom volume without having to have 2 remotes to hand and within IR range of both of the amps, I have garden speakers I use quite a bit in the summer so it also saves having to take seperate remote control outside.

If it was at the cost of sound quality though I'd use fixed instead and Harmony Hub for changing volume but it's a lot quicker / easier with the WiiM app.

Bamyasi

It looks like clock locking over spdif for me.
Of course it is. Whether it is LED blinking as a part of the S/PDIF connection renegotiating or the other way round I do not know but it does not matter.

rmsanger

NO Wiim is the only one who can. Not even BluOS can

Does anybody know how to connect the wiim pro through the Amazon app? I got the wiim pro yesterday, downloaded the wiim home app, completed updates, and enables amazon through wiim home app and it works. I think go to the Amazon Music app and try to locate the wiim device or how to stream through the pro from the wiim app but it cannot find it.

derek13

Does anybody know how to connect the wiim pro through the Amazon app? I got the wiim pro yesterday, downloaded the wiim home app, completed updates, and enables amazon through wiim home app and it works. I think go to the Amazon Music app and try to locate the wiim device or how to stream through the pro from the wiim app but it cannot find it.
Open the Alexa App and Add a device and select the Wiim

telemike

My mistake, the Cyrus One Cast can use Alexacast. Not sure if it’s HD though

rmsanger

Open the Alexa App and Add a device and select the Wiim

Alexa app no I don't use that.... I was told this would stream natively through Amazon Music app. The Wiim home app with amazon is very similar to the BlueOS implementation. In fact the Wiim app is a step backwards from BlueOS.

1671809222741.png

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Alexa app no I don't use that.... I was told this would stream natively through Amazon Music app. The Wiim home app with amazon is very similar to the BlueOS implementation. In fact the Wiim app is a step backwards from BlueOS.

View attachment 252033
You have to register WiiM as an Alexa device in WiiM Home app first if you want to be able to cast from AM.

rmsanger

You have to register WiiM as an Alexa device in WiiM Home app first if you want to be able to cast from AM.

Thanks it's working now via Amazon app! I'll do a full weekend of testing vs. the bluesound node got lots of variations of connections and routing through my standalone dac and onboard dac in my integrated amp to test. The streaming via native amazon app is a big deal.

Witterings

The difference in volume of a lot of tracks is really wide, one song quiet the next you're reaching for the volume adjust.

I thought it may have been down to Amazon Music and just checked the settings there and Loudness Normalisation (Play all songs at the same volume level) is switched on.

Is there anything on the WiiM that does the same, I've looked through settings but can't seem to find anything.

rarewolf

I just installed my WiiM Mini yesterday, and I’m pleasantly surprised.

Up until yesterday, the primary source for my Topping DX3 Pro+ was my LG G8, which I use as a DAP solely, connected via USB. The app I used for playing my library was JRemote connected via wifi to my JRiver server. It worked well delivering bitperfect PCM to my ears, but I wanted an inexpensive streamer, if for any reason, to get rid of the cable. I found it at Amazon (Canada) for CA$100.

The WiiM was relatively easy to set up, and was connected to my DAC/Amp via optical SPDIF. I fired up the WiiM app, connected it to the JRiver server via DLNA, and verified bitperfect playback by confirming the reported bit depth, sampling rate and compressed bitrate. However, the WiiM app is by no means as polished as are apps like JRemote, UAPP, or Hiby Music. It loads generic DLNA slowly, but it does access the JRiver server much more quickly. It also doesn’t make it very easy to build a playlist.

However, what pleased me most was the ability to fire up the JRemote app, and to be able to point its output to the WiiM as an output device. One problem here I discovered was that it doesn’t play nice with Google apps like Youtube. That is, I was amazed that I could simply switch to Youtube, and it played automatically via the WiiM. However, switching back was problematic—JRemote was able to play the next track but failed loading any subsequent tracks in the prior playlist. I was forced to restart the JRemote app.

Top Bottom