• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

DeepSpace57

Has anyone ever Back to backed one of the Mini's against a Node or any other bit perfect streamer.

I was in a retailers yesterday and the manager who's been in the business for 30 years and seems to know his onions and said there was definitely a difference in sound between them, he hadn't heard of the WiiM but was talking about others such as Node vs Naim Streamer.

He also felt that Coax was noticeably better than Optical, if so that'll go in the WiiM Pro's favour over the mini.
The given Toslink cable along with wiim mini is terrible. That's the problem. Grab a good cable. As the inputs of many DAC are not galvanically isolated, and the current Toslink implementation of DACs is awesome, Toslink is the way to go. Noise free, be happy !

Merifon

The given Toslink cable along with wiim mini is terrible
It's probably a matter of luck, I have no problem with the supplied cable not even at 192khz, I still bought some more expensive cables but upon careful examination of how they were made, they didn't show particular constructive care and due to excessive stiffness or thickness, in the end I left the original cable. Rather, one thing to pay attention to is the fragility of the door on the Wiim, in one of those received, the door came off when the cable was inserted. This is also why I decided to suspend the tests...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
As you said, experiences with the supplied cable may vary. Regardless of that, Wiim's toslink socket is the worst one I have atm.

morillon

Major Contributor
As you said, experiences with the supplied cable may vary. Regardless of that, Wiim's toslink socket is the worst one I have atm.
why?
apart from this case of a broken toslink door that we have been talking about for months.. hihi

I come to the opposite conclusion from you
I foolishly handled it a lot of times..
with 7 or 8 different cables..
in fact..i ended up breaking a connector on my ..dac..not the mini...
Above all, I was able to see that all my cables, even modest ones, were hanging on well except one, of pretentious appearance...cheap "Chinese".. but we just understand that its connector is not terrible despite its gilding, does not crochet..
;-)
but that's just my case
;-)
(
but everything is necessarily fragile on this modest wiim of ""50gr""...
how could it be otherwise..and at this price

toslink connectors are consumer mass products costing "nothing"
I don't think there are "hardened" versions etc.
it's really chip in the cases)
if you want better use spdif in bnc...
;-)

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
why?
apart from this case of a broken toslink door that we have been talking about for months.. hihi

I come to the opposite conclusion from you
I foolishly handled it a lot of times..
with 7 or 8 different cables..
in fact..i ended up breaking a connector on my ..dac..not the mini...
Above all, I was able to see that all my cables, even modest ones, were hanging on well except one, of pretentious appearance...cheap "Chinese".. but we just understand that its connector is not terrible despite its gilding, does not crochet..
;-)
but that's just my case
;-)
(
but everything is necessarily fragile on this modest wiim of ""50gr""...
how could it be otherwise..and at this price

toslink connectors are consumer mass products costing "nothing"
I don't think there are "hardened" versions etc.
it's really chip in the cases)
if you want better use spdif in bnc...
;-)
Experiences may vary here as well. My WiiM's socket is the worst in terms of proper plug locking inside. As a result I can no longer get stable 192 kHz with some of my equipment.
BTW I've seens photos on internet with that socket in much worse condition than just broken door...

morillon

Major Contributor
there are people who are a little brutal.. or forcing without realizing that there is a meaning, etc. and it's just plastic..

with other 192k sources and the same cables to your fex etc you have no problem ?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
there are people who are a little brutal.. or forcing without realizing that there is a meaning, etc. and it's just plastic..

with other 192k sources and the same cables to your fex etc you have no problem ?
I have just one cable which gives me stable 192. Others were also working well in the past, but they can no longer work stable at 192. Fortunately I do not need 192 when connecting to Flex.

morillon

Major Contributor
it may be good to clean the ends of the fibers with ipa.. failing to repolish
(apart from the fixing of the cable etc which determines the focusing of the lazer..) it is a subject in optics
96k24 ...it is already a lot...
;-)

Witterings

The given Toslink cable along with wiim mini is terrible. That's the problem. Grab a good cable. As the inputs of many DAC are not galvanically isolated, and the current Toslink implementation of DACs is awesome, Toslink is the way to go. Noise free, be happy !

If you read back a few pages I did change mine and noticed quite a difference, the most immediate was teh increase in volume.

DeepSpace57

If you read back a few pages I did change mine and noticed quite a difference, the most immediate was teh increase in volume.
This is what I say. The cable is terrible. I will likely pay another 40 bucks for the cable on the top.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no way a difference in Toslink cables can result in a volume change - that is simply not how it works.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah right ..... because I'm just making it up ....... T**t

You weren't even here so how would you know?
Either your volume was changed somewhere in the system in between the two cable tests, or you were subject to cognitive biases in your sighted listening - or you were simply mistaken. If none of those apply, then yes, you made it up.

Anyone with a gram of knowledge about how digital audio works will know that is is simply not possible for the volume of a digital signal to be changed along the transmission medium by signal distortion/errors.

If it is technically impossible for a volume change to happen - then it didn't - at least not as a result of the toslink fibre changing.

Oh, and asterixing out the letters "wa" doesn't change the unacceptability of your infantile insult. At least if you are going to use the word, own it and write it out in full.

Last edited:

DantonIzzo

In my use case, I can’t think of why I’d need the Pro over the Mini. I run it toslink to my Topping DX3 Pro+ for my headphones (Focal clear og). Would love to know the reasons why people are upgrading to the pro.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
In my use case, I can’t think of why I’d need the Pro over the Mini. I run it toslink to my Topping DX3 Pro+ for my headphones (Focal clear og). Would love to know the reasons why people are upgrading to the pro.
A new toy. Chromecast support. Would it be enough?

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree for now - but I believe it has more memory / faster CPU and will have more PEQ settings (when they add this feature). My guess would be that this will get more updates than the Mini going forward (having more memory and faster CPU) means more room for more capabilities. It might be interesting playing around with the optical inputs (especially if the PEQ can be applied to those inputs) - I can envisage maybe using it with a TV and doing some basic EQ correction.

Top Bottom