• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Anyone knows what Amazon SD actually is?
Audio encoded in lossy opus 48 kHz as far as I can see in the manifest.

1670069850637.png

Merifon

Anyone has this behavior with Tidal hifi?
If I pause streaming and wait to let the wiim mini goes to standby (the dac display change from 44.1 to OPT), if I restart playing, the dac switches to 48 and the only way to reset at the correct sample rate, is detach then reattach the wimm from Tidal connect.
If the stand by is not reached, resuming play stays on 44.1
I suspect this behavior appeared after first MQA Fw release.

Last edited:

D1N0

Amazon Music casting to chromecast not being Ultra HD is an Amazon issue then. I believe at first they didn't support chromecast at all. They are probably deliberately limiting the bit rate to force more people into their eco system. It is why I do not like Amazon.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Amazon Music casting to chromecast not being Ultra HD is an Amazon issue then. I believe at first they didn't support chromecast at all. They are probably deliberately limiting the bit rate to force more people into their eco system. It is why I do not like Amazon.
At least they make their API available for support of their streaming services on other devices unlike Apple for instance where if you don’t pay for Airplay support, you’re stuck. And it’s no surprise that where you have an ecosystem, you want people to buy into it.

D1N0

At least they make their API available for support of their streaming services on other devices unlike Apple for instance where if you don’t pay for Airplay support, you’re stuck. And it’s no surprise that where you have an ecosystem, you want people to buy into it.
By not supporting or crippling de facto industry standards. I don't like Apple either.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Chromecast support on AM seems to be evolving (or regressing...). 3 months ago my Google Home speakers were receiving only HD lossless adaptation set proposed in the manifest. Now they receive both sets, SD and HD, so it's no longer clear for me which one is being played for devices without the display.

ipxl

This may have been covered before but how do I control what bitrate, compression or lossless/FLAC is streamed when using Deezer account (I've Deezer premium). There are times when I want to constrain bandwidth, I assumed I could do that via the Deezer app (eg set wifi streaming to standard (128kbps) or high quality (320kbps) as opposed to hi-fidelity (FLAC). Changing this setting in the Deezer app and then playing Deezer from within the WiiM home app seems to ignore this setting.
Am I missing something?

For reference my setup is WiiM home latest app running on Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, WiiM mini feeding into Chord Mojo 2 with the SPDIF/optical cable.
I've set max audio output for the SPDIF to 44.1Khz, 16bit. Depending on which track I then play via the WiiM home app from Deezer library/playlists, etc I can see FLAC with > 500kbps, for example regardless of dialling back the WiFi streaming bit rate on the native Deezer app.

telemike

This may have been covered before but how do I control what bitrate, compression or lossless/FLAC is streamed when using Deezer account (I've Deezer premium). There are times when I want to constrain bandwidth, I assumed I could do that via the Deezer app (eg set wifi streaming to standard (128kbps) or high quality (320kbps) as opposed to hi-fidelity (FLAC). Changing this setting in the Deezer app and then playing Deezer from within the WiiM home app seems to ignore this setting.
Am I missing something?

For reference my setup is WiiM home latest app running on Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, WiiM mini feeding into Chord Mojo 2 with the SPDIF/optical cable.
I've set max audio output for the SPDIF to 44.1Khz, 16bit. Depending on which track I then play via the WiiM home app from Deezer library/playlists, etc I can see FLAC with > 500kbps, for example regardless of dialling back the WiFi streaming bit rate on the native Deezer app.
Deezer app has no communication You use WiiM app only to use Deezer

ipxl

onths ago my Google Home speakers were receiving only HD lossless adaptation set proposed in the manifest. Now they receive both sets, SD and HD, so it's no longer clear for me whi

Deezer app has no communication You use WiiM app only to use Deezer
Yes I am using the WiiM app for Deezer playing.
I'm up to date with the app and firmware but the Deezer play within the WiiM app can sometimes show it is playing FLAC at high kbps and other times lossy 128kbs. I know that I can set the max bit depth/sample rate out of the SPDIF that feeds into my Chord DAC - however, I am confused as to what I can use to control whether the Deezer player within WiiM app plays lossy or FLAC ? Also, I am noticing skipping going on when I'm playing from a playlist. I read that was a known issue but maybe there have been false dawns about a fix ?

jmtocali

Yes I am using the WiiM app for Deezer playing.
I'm up to date with the app and firmware but the Deezer play within the WiiM app can sometimes show it is playing FLAC at high kbps and other times lossy 128kbs. I know that I can set the max bit depth/sample rate out of the SPDIF that feeds into my Chord DAC - however, I am confused as to what I can use to control whether the Deezer player within WiiM app plays lossy or FLAC ? Also, I am noticing skipping going on when I'm playing from a playlist. I read that was a known issue but maybe there have been false dawns about a fix ?
It's a known issue. Wiim has not fixed this.

Bamyasi

Chromecast support on AM seems to be evolving (or regressing...). 3 months ago my Google Home speakers were receiving only HD lossless adaptation set proposed in the manifest. Now they receive both sets, SD and HD, so it's no longer clear for me which one is being played for devices without the display.
Unfortunately, this also depends on DRM/endpoint device certification level, with only AM partners' devices being potentially certified (or not certified, this is not given) for playing back at high bitrates and/or lossless codecs. So the choice of particular playback stream is more complicated than just "let's play the best available codec/SQ among those listed in the manifest". CCA devices at the moment are not certified by Amazon, hence they would fallback to lowest bitrate default codec. Perhaps Amazon has certification in the plans for some Chromecast devices and that would explain extended manifest. Or they have simply unified the negotiation protocol for their Alexa servers and it now uses the same manifest for native and alien devices, who knows?

To be fair, the same issue plagues other services as well. I have been a long time Pandora Premium (payed tier) subscriber but had to cancel because it turned out their servers would cast to CCA at 64kbps AAC+ only, completely ignoring streaming quality settings in your Pandora app. So on my HiFi system Pandora always sounded much worse than on my phone, with the difference in SQ easy to spot at this level of compression.

Last edited:

zoro4724

Hi I have successfully played mqa via wiim to topping E50 with checking relative option at wiim app and check E50 as renderer only.It works fine but I have noticed that volume level is really low than a normal hifi track at Tidal.I have to volume up at half my integrated amplifier.
Has anybody else have the same 'problem' ? Is there any workaround or it will be fixed at net update of wiim?

Thanks

D1N0

Maybe the WIIM is applying gain to the regular tracks, are you using the equalizer? The equalizer probably doesn't work on MQA that is unfolded in the DAC.

Bamyasi

Anyone knows how this UPnP Search for Home Media Server would work?
You will need a DLNA/UPnP server with UPnP search functionality, very few has it. For instance, Plex Media Server does not support UPnP search. The search needs to be done on the server end for obvious reasons (performance).

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You will need a DLNA/UPnP server with UPnP search functionality, very few has it. For instance, Plex Media Server does not support UPnP search. The search needs to be done on the server end for obvious reasons (performance).
I know, I was asking about application support. Is it supposed to work the same way when it allows to search on music services on Search tab?

CyBorek

How the MQA supports work on Wiim Mini? It works only when you use Wiim Mini's DAC or also via toslink transport (unfolding in Wiim and then sending high quality data to external DAC?)?

Top Bottom