• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

Latest firmware update did not fix distortion issue when EQ is on.
I'm pretty sure that by enabling the EQ, the overall volume level will go down very little.
Since the EQ still involves processing in the digital domain, the overall level might as well automatically roll down when using the EQ, to ensure the necessary headroom to avoid clipping on peak signals or any frequencies boosted with the controls. .

eLicky

Latest firmware update did not fix distortion issue when EQ is on.

Quite a few people on the Wiim forum were anxious about getting the MQA decoder popping noise corrected, they handed out a few beta/test firmwares then told everyone they'd release the public firmware within a few days. So it seems getting that done quickly was a priority hence the recent firmware update.

I expect they will correct the EQ issues, they appear pretty dedicated and confident.

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Quite a few people on the Wiim forum were anxious about getting the MQA decoder popping noise corrected, they handed out a few beta/test firmwares then told everyone they'd release the public firmware within a few days. So it seems getting that done quickly was a priority hence the recent firmware update.

I expect they will correct the EQ issues, they appear pretty dedicated and confident.
We know they will fix it sooner or later. Some people here follow WiiM story for a quite long time to get some confidence about it and a sort of criticism the same time.

It was just a reminder I guess that issue is not yet solved.

Bamyasi

Apparently you missed the link in my post, where I provide the hard evidence. Here it is again:

Again, this is HD streaming, not UHD, as was referenced in the entire exchange, which circles back to my statement "it might be the first to support casting at up to 24/192".
This is not casting.

Bamyasi

The statement I was responding to was this:

On Chromecast I was only able to obtain SD quality, but again the original assertion was that the WIIM Mini was world-first to support casting, which is false.
And that is exactly what I wrote: no HD/UHD casting to Chromecast, only lossy SD quality.
The original assertion was that WiiM Mini was world first to support Amazon Music casting in lossless HD/UHD quality and it is true.

Brantome

Major Contributor
No evidence it is actually casting in HD, could as well be 16/44.1 MP3/AAC stream decoded by the DAC.
Indeed, that was my experience of the Heos Link HS2, nothing to say it was casting in anything other than SD - that’s why I sold it and got a WiiM. Heos and similar are enabled for use with Alexa and hence AlexaCast by the use of a skill, and again I’m not aware of that route supporting lossless Amazon Music.

Anyway, I think this rebuttal of my claim has gone overboard as any long term contributor on this thread is aware of the context of my statement and in particular the use of the term Amazon Music HD (the old name for what now is Amazon Music Unlimited) to describe their lossless music service which comprises both 16bit and 24bit tracks up to 24/192.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Pretty strong evidence is the content of mpd manifest received by Chromecast device during the casting. I've seen HD content with flacs only here which indicates lossless routing.

This photo shows casting in HD:

1670061822825.png

Last edited:

D1N0

Amazon calls CD quality HD. Anything above it is Ultra HD. Casting CD quality is nothing special. Chromecast will always go up to 96khz/24bit when available. Amazon calls anything that is compressed SD I think these terms are confusing because they are used for video and video is always compressed.

What audio quality does Amazon Music support?​

Amazon Music offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD.

HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.

In comparison, most standard streaming services currently offer Standard Definition (SD) with a bitrate up to 320 kbps. These audio files use lossy compression, where details of the original audio are removed in order to reduce the file size. By contrast, Amazon Music preserves the original recording information to deliver the highest quality sound available, more than 2x the bitrate in HD and more than 10x the bitrate at the highest Ultra HD bitrate. Amazon Music will always play the highest quality content available, based on network, device capability and your selected settings.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Amazon calls CD quality HD. Anything above it is Ultra HD. Casting CD quality is nothing special. Chromecast will always go up to 96khz/24bit when available. Amazon calls anything that is compressed SD I think these terms are confusing because they are used for video and video is always compressed.
To be exact, as per that link, anything that is 16bit, Amazon terms as HD - so 16/48 which is greater than CD’s usual 16/44.1 is HD not UHD which is what Amazon uses to describe 24bit tracks. I don’t see the terms as confusing when we’re talking about Amazon Music where their use is defined.

Brantome

Major Contributor
"when available"
It's a discussion here if lossless HD content is available when casting from AM, or is it just lossy SD.
I’ve just tried chromecasting a 24/192 track from the iOS Amazon Music app to the Wiim Pro and all it shows is 24/44.1 even though the WiiM Pro’s chromecast support is more capable than that.

Also, the Pro shows 24/44.1 no matter whether I chromecast a 160kbps MP3 or a 24/192 track from Amazon Music, which would tend to suggest that the Amazon Music HD FAQ webpage‘s assertion that HD/UHD chromecasting isn’t supported. What happens if you cast an SD track from your Amazon Music app to the Nest - does that still claim it’s HD? It’s all a bit confusing…

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I’ve just tried chromecasting a 24/192 track from the iOS Amazon Music app to the Wiim Pro and all it shows is 24/44.1 even though the WiiM Pro’s chromecast support is more capable than that.

Also, the Pro shows 24/44.1 no matter whether I chromecast a 160kbps MP3 or a 24/192 track from Amazon Music, which would tend to suggest that the Amazon Music HD FAQ webpage‘s assertion that HD/UHD chromecasting isn’t supported. What happens if you cast an SD track from your Amazon Music app to the Nest - does that still claim it’s HD? It’s all a bit confusing…
Do you know any example of SD only track?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Do you know any example of SD only track?
I have a lot of uploaded MP3s in Amazon Music from when they offered that service, but you could try restricting playback quality to SD in the Amazon Music app settings

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have a lot of uploaded MP3s in Amazon Music from when they offered that service, but you could try restricting playback quality to SD in the Amazon Music app settings
When I force SD playback in AM app I see SD on the Nest display during casting.

Top Bottom