• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

eLicky

The beta isn't automatically installed. That's why it is a beta. Better inform at the WIIM forum https://wiim.community.forum/

Seems they might have fixed the issue I was having.

On the Wiim app on my phone it says MQA beta, but I understand there is a white list you must join to get the recent fix mentioned in the link above.

316887446_1513887369037805_8629680059888849326_n.jpg

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Seems they might have fixed the issue I was having.

On the Wiim app on my phone it says MQA beta, but I understand there is a white list you must join to get the recent fix mentioned in the link above.

View attachment 246902
Yes. It's not about function being in beta stage, it's about a beta firmware. You have to ask WiiM for it to become whitelisted with the MAC of your Mini.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Ok, I know this makes no sense whatsoever but it fixed my not being able to get anything higher than 44.1, Go over to the Amazon Alexa settings and turn it on, or off then back on. No issues with my 2 Devices ( Downstairs going into an Anthem with no MQA support) and One Topping E50 with just render support. No issues. Hopefully, this works for some of you, but I don't even have Amazon Music and this made it work.

Merifon

Ok, I know this makes no sense whatsoever but it fixed my not being able to get anything higher than 44.1, Go over to the Amazon Alexa settings and turn it on, or off then back on. No issues with my 2 Devices ( Downstairs going into an Anthem with no MQA support) and One Topping E50 with just render support. No issues. Hopefully, this works for some of you, but I don't even have Amazon Music and this made it work.
I think there is a further Amazon music hd setting to be enabled. You reach it by selecting Amazon in the wiim app browse, then select settings and enable UHD.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
EQ mode is still broken and distorted even in flat with 437348 if someone's interested.

jevchance

Fair enough appraisal, but since he’s not a subscriber, it underplays its support of Amazon Music HD and its world-first capability to support casting from the Amazon Music app which appeared to be the main driver for a lot of users here
To be clear, it is not the world-first to support casting from the Amazon Music app. However, it might be the first to support casting at up to 24/192.

Brantome

Major Contributor
To be clear, it is not the world-first to support casting from the Amazon Music app. However, it might be the first to support casting at up to 24/192.
Which other devices (echos aside) support HD casting from the amazon music app?

keiron99

Sorry for the unsophisticated nature of this question....I see that Wiim are proposing that a "Parametric EQ" will be included in a future update. What exactly is that? How does it differ from the equaliser already in there?

(As an aside, I don't seem to get on with the EQ as it is: when I boost the bass, which I do for my headphones, it seems a little unnatural/distorted. For this reason, I got a cheapo headphone amp with it's own, old-fashioned tone controls. Maybe it's just my imagination...?)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Sorry for the unsophisticated nature of this question....I see that Wiim are proposing that a "Parametric EQ" will be included in a future update. What exactly is that? How does it differ from the equaliser already in there?

(As an aside, I don't seem to get on with the EQ as it is: when I boost the bass, which I do for my headphones, it seems a little unnatural/distorted. For this reason, I got a cheapo headphone amp with it's own, old-fashioned tone controls. Maybe it's just my imagination...?)

No imagination, EQ is just broken for current FW and can distort the sound heavily for high level signals.

jevchance

Which other devices (echos aside) support HD casting from the amazon music app?

All HEOS/Denon/Marantz devices.

Pretty much any smart speaker that supports Alexa.

I think SONOS can but I don't have one to verify.

Chromecast devices.

Any Amazon TV device.

Sorry, I realize this is off-topic, but just wanted to clarify the point.

Last edited:

Bamyasi

HEOS does not support HD/UHD casting, only playback from their own app on the AVR/amp. At least I was unable to find any hard evidence that it is possible to do (e.g., with some magic Alexa skill).
Pretty much any smart speaker that supports Alexa.
Alexa does not support HD/UHD casting on any device other than WiiM Mini. In fact, it does not support lossless casting at all on other devices.
I think SONOS can but I don't have one to verify.
SONOS supports HD (16/44.1) playback via their own app but not casting from other apps (e.g. Amazon Music app).
Chromecast devices.
None of Chromecast or Chromecast Audio devices supported HD/UHD (lossless) casting until recently. There are some rumors that they might enable it in the future but not yet.
Any Amazon TV device.
Only resampled to a fixed HD rate (16/48).
Sorry, I realize this is off-topic, but just wanted to clarify the point.
Streaming from a device using its own app vs casting from another app on your phone are two different things. It is indeed very confusing.

jevchance

HEOS does not support HD/UHD casting, only playback from their own app on the AVR/amp. At least I was unable to find any hard evidence that it is possible to do (e.g., with some magic Alexa skill).
Apparently you missed the link in my post, where I provide the hard evidence. Here it is again:

Again, this is HD streaming, not UHD, as was referenced in the entire exchange, which circles back to my statement "it might be the first to support casting at up to 24/192".

jevchance

Here is Amazon Music casting to a Denon HEOS Link HS2, again at CD quality:

jevchance

None of Chromecast or Chromecast Audio devices supported HD/UHD (lossless) casting until recently. There are some rumors that they might enable it in the future but not yet.

The statement I was responding to was this:

Fair enough appraisal, but since he’s not a subscriber, it underplays its support of Amazon Music HD and its world-first capability to support casting from the Amazon Music app which appeared to be the main driver for a lot of users here

In response, my statement was this:

And to further support that you can cast to Chromecast from the Amazon Music app, here your hard proof:

On Chromecast I was only able to obtain SD quality, but again the original assertion was that the WIIM Mini was world-first to support casting, which is false.

I'm not able to obtain the hard proof on a Sonos device as I don't have one, but the skill is there so I can only assume it is supported and likely at HD quality, same as HEOS.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Latest firmware update did not fix distortion issue when EQ is on.

Top Bottom