• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
But the $4990 Lumin T3 doesn't do half as much as the pro
TBH, I think there’s a lot of snobbishness around hifi. I posted about using Amazon Music and the WiiM Mini/Pro on a UK “audiophile” Facebook group and you could almost hear the snorts in the replies - “what, you’re not using a Bluesound Node, Qobuz and Roon? You can’t be that interested in nor serious about music and hi-fi”. Really?

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Is the software for the WiiM Mini and the WiiM Pro different? Based on the reviews of the Pro is that the DAC is the same, so for me a topping E30 plus the WiiM mini will be fine?
Same App.

eLicky

TBH, I think there’s a lot of snobbishness around hifi. I posted about using Amazon Music and the WiiM Mini/Pro on a UK “audiophile” Facebook group and you could almost hear the snorts in the replies - “what, you’re not using a Bluesound Node, Qobuz and Roon? You can’t be that interested in nor serious about music and hi-fi”. Really?

I own Blusound Node i2, just returned a Zen stream because of connectivity problems and had the Wiim Mini arrive today.

The sound is good (I might even sell the Node) so IMO streamers like the above should be pretty worried.

morillon

Major Contributor
small aside
on the latest android update on my phone
l announces that supported via simply "media output" with chromecast
work?

sorry for the french

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-074143_Software update.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-074143_Software update.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

wacomme

It's a long thread, so sorry if this has been discussed already.

Can I run the Wiim Mini off of an iPhone wifi hotspot? My work computer and internet are restricted. Thus, I'd like to use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot to the Wiim Mini, to a dac (toslink) and amp, and then to speakers or headphones. The music would come from Tidal and controlled via Tidal Connect on my iPhone. Does anyone know if this scenario works?

D1N0

It's a long thread, so sorry if this has been discussed already.

Can I run the Wiim Mini off of an iPhone wifi hotspot? My work computer and internet are restricted. Thus, I'd like to use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot to the Wiim Mini, to a dac (toslink) and amp, and then to speakers or headphones. The music would come from Tidal and controlled via Tidal Connect on my iPhone. Does anyone know if this scenario works?
I don't see why this wouldn't work. The Wiim mini would just see a Wifi network like any other.

wacomme

I don't see why this wouldn't work. The Wiim mini would just see a Wifi network like any other.
It doesn't seem to work. I believe the reason why is that I cannot connect my own iPhone to my own iPhone hotspot. And thus, I cannot use the Wiim Mini app since I cannot connect to wifi.

Is there another way around this problem?

D1N0

It doesn't seem to work. I believe the reason why is that I cannot connect my own iPhone to my own iPhone hotspot. And thus, I cannot use the Wiim Mini app since I cannot connect to wifi.

Is there another way around this problem?
Your iPhone needs to be on the provider network so you probably cannot use wifi at the same time to connect to the Wiim. Solution would be to take an old phone or a tablet to control the WIIM. I don't know if their is a way around it on the same device. Maybe check Apple support or fora.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have 2 mqa dac, first topping e50 does optical rendering but exhibit pop noise which I stop using, second was smsl do200mkii this unit sound great since it does full mqa. There was no pop noise or any annoying sound from smsl, of course it’s twice the price. I think once you use full mqa dac you will be amazed as I did. I used to think mqa was snake oil but wasn’t. Let your ear decide.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I have 2 mqa dac, first topping e50 does optical rendering but exhibit pop noise which I stop using, second was smsl do200mkii this unit sound great since it does full mqa. There was no pop noise or any annoying sound from smsl, of course it’s twice the price. I think once you use full mqa dac you will be amazed as I did. I used to think mqa was snake oil but wasn’t. Let your ear decide.
I can imagine that the difference between basic MQA version and fully unfolded one can be heard, as basic MQA is below CD quality.

eLicky

When I enable MQA on the Wiim app I am getting clicking / static noises via optical out playing some masters tracks on Tidal connect (W10 PC).

It does so with both my Pro-ject S2 digital DAC and HDVD 800 (HD800 headphones matching DAC/Amp).

I've tried the rendering / decoding settings but its the same.

Not really complaining as I predict it will be fixed, especially since MQA is in beta still.

Just putting it out there so its known.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I enable MQA on the Wiim app I am getting clicking / static noises via optical out playing some masters tracks on Tidal connect (W10 PC).

It does so with both my Pro-ject S2 digital DAC and HDVD 800 (HD800 headphones matching DAC/Amp).

I've tried the rendering / decoding settings but its the same.

Not really complaining as I predict it will be fixed, especially since MQA is in beta still.

Just putting it out there so its known.
Did you get the latest beta for mqa?

Top Bottom