• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

artishard116

He really downplays the significance of the analog input which is pretty rare on dacs/streamers these days. This thing could handle all streaming needs, connect a turntable (something I imagine a lot of people are interested in), and act as a preamp (volume with remote/input selection) for $150. Connect powered speakers with a digital input and bypass the internal dac and you have a complete one box solution. Throw in multi-room, Alexa, etc... Some day someone will make the same thing with a screen for album art and my life will be complete.

MCH

Major Contributor
, and act as a preamp (volume with remote/input selection) for $150.
It is one 3$ display away of being a cool preamp, but with no indication at all of where the volume is.... clear no go and a big shame

dustinyo

He really downplays the significance of the analog input which is pretty rare on dacs/streamers these days. This thing could handle all streaming needs, connect a turntable (something I imagine a lot of people are interested in), and act as a preamp (volume with remote/input selection) for $150. Connect powered speakers with a digital input and bypass the internal dac and you have a complete one box solution. Throw in multi-room, Alexa, etc... Some day someone will make the same thing with a screen for album art and my life will be complete.
That's a shame, this is exactly what I want to use it for, a preamp for my turntable. I'm very interested in seeing how it works with analog in to out. At least I know Amir will test that, hopefully soon.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Doubt they'll send to Amir unless Roon's working or it'll be an instant thumbs down :facepalm:
No, he gave it pretty high praise, just didn't personally recommend it. The measurements are always appreciated, and this huge thread proves that most of us who don't care about or need Roon do love the Mini.

dustinyo

No, he gave it pretty high praise, just didn't personally recommend it. The measurements are always appreciated, and this huge thread proves that most of us who don't care about or need Roon do love the Mini.
I intend to start using Roon once it's available on Wiim devices, so it is something I care about, but I still love the Wiim. And the fact that they have been very communicative on planned updates and made good on every promise makes me confident that the lack of Roon support is only temporary. I definitely plan to get a pro once it's available too, having multiple rooms with a Wiim and a remote to control volume on my turntable will be very nice.

Jpdelaney.tml

Well folks, has all of this been somewhat in vane. Hi-Res in all. After much listening to Dr. Toole and others, I now firmly believe that I will not be listening to anything that needs more than 16bit/44.1 kHz playback resolution. Bit perfect of course. AM-Ultra is just padding 0’s to the files and although internet bandwidth is cheap here, relatively, I feel that the servers are working a little less and that’s my contribution to Climate Change. Plus as a continuing Amazon member, they give me CD quality for free. What a deal! I can cancel my UHD:)

Nice to have a audio streamer as capable as the Mini, and a 20 bit DAC, and endless CD to listen to on all my Alexa and Wiims (Amazon Music). I never use the Alexa switch and everything seems to work fine. Wiim alone or all together.

I could not be happier, hope it lasts for a while???

Enjoy, friends of Audio here!

Turambar

Enjoy yourself too!.

I doubt, however, that you will get CD resolution from Amazon for free.

At least here in Spain, you need an Amazon Unlimited account to get CD resolution:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well folks, has all of this been somewhat in vane. Hi-Res in all. After much listening to Dr. Toole and others, I now firmly believe that I will not be listening to anything that needs more than 16bit/44.1 kHz playback resolution. Bit perfect of course. AM-Ultra is just padding 0’s to the files and although internet bandwidth is cheap here, relatively, I feel that the servers are working a little less and that’s my contribution to Climate Change. Plus as a continuing Amazon member, they give me CD quality for free. What a deal! I can cancel my UHD:)

Nice to have a audio streamer as capable as the Mini, and a 20 bit DAC, and endless CD to listen to on all my Alexa and Wiims (Amazon Music). I never use the Alexa switch and everything seems to work fine. Wiim alone or all together.

I could not be happier, hope it lasts for a while???

Enjoy, friends of Audio here!
I could not agree more. All UHD from amazon or any streaming services are less exciting to my ear and in fact 16/44.1 sound much exciting. There’s no wow factor on UHD maybe dsd can make difference.

wacomme

This might have already been covered, but if I set EQ on my computer for the wiim mini connected monitors, will the EQ settings be transmitted to the monitors using the Wiim app and/or the Tidal app?

Jpdelaney.tml

I could not agree more. All UHD from amazon or any streaming services are less exciting to my ear and in fact 16/44.1 sound much exciting. There’s no wow factor on UHD maybe dsd can make difference.
DSD no better, essentially 1bit pcm, it’s about the recordings, no real DSD anyway, no Patient Number 9 Ozzy anyway. Three Grammy Noms. Eh. Nice. PS That’s what the PhDs say anyway. It’s about the recording studio and what it puts out. Mainly CD or maybe SACD quality no matter how you wrap it.
Thanks

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Enjoy yourself too!.

I doubt, however, that you will get CD resolution from Amazon for free.

At least here in Spain, you need an Amazon Unlimited account to get CD resolution:

Absent an Unlimited subscription Prime members only get a shuffle play option which is pretty useless for most of us.

Jpdelaney.tml

Oh yes, the Wiim app is not good as a music player. I am anxiously awaiting a connect feature for
Absent an Unlimited subscription Prime members only get a shuffle play option which is pretty useless for most of us.
You are correct, I can save money and get it all with a basic AM package. No MP3s at least. UHD monthly adds up and for what. I hope when I remove the UHD package, all will be well.

Top Bottom