• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

derek13

Is there any difference between the original wimm device I purchased a year or so ago and the one that is being sold now on Amazon? I believe it has a 2 in the model # now.
The 2 refers to Airplay 2 not Wiim Mini 2. There’s just one version with frequent firmware updates.

eLicky

Hi, I'm new here, thanks for having me.

I've been reading about this little streamer but because of the frequent updates and dated information online I'm confused and have a question.

Will this streamer play masters tracks through Tidal connect? I read (at some stage) Tidal connect only supported hifi quality.

I'll be using the optical out on the streamer and understand MQA isn't supported (?) but will the streamer play masters tracks at 24/96 via optical out?

Thanks.

Turambar

You need to use Tidal Connect.

Then, the streamer will perform the first unfold and pass Master files at 16/88.2, 24/88.2 and 24/96 via optical out.

Imsjry

Anyone compared audio quality of Tidal using a 24/96 MQA with the same quality track using Qobuz?! I keep reading negative things about MQA but wondering if it’s really an major audible difference when you’re streaming that high of quality.

Last edited:

Loba

And you can see it's being captured when Enable RMS Monitor is on?
that's right, i see the green bars moving to and fro, in any case, I retired NAD d3020V 2 and wiim mini from powering my Monitor audio speakers at work as I have swapped it out for Arcam Solo Uno instead. that has no issue receiving from SWYH.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone compared audio quality of Tidal using a 24/96 MQA with the same quality track using Qobuz?! I keep reading negative things about MQA but wondering if it’s really a major audible difference when you’re streaming that high of quality.
I have both quboz and tidal master. I find tidal master really pleasing to my ear and right now with I have issue with mqa that wiim release. I hear pop noise at the beginning of the song. Turning off mqa solve the issue.

Smartplug

Is it still more pleasing with MQA turned off ?
No, there’s a bit lose of clarity and texture. Using pc and connect to dac usb will give true mqa sound if your dac is mqa. To my ear, tidal master surpass of those on quoboz high resolution. Quoboz used to be my get to go music till mqa. I’m looking a dac that will give full mqa on optical not just rendering. Black Friday is around the corner hopefully they have them on sale.

Michou

No, there’s a bit lose of clarity and texture. Using pc and connect to dac usb will give true mqa sound if your dac is mqa. To my ear, tidal master surpass of those on quoboz high resolution. Quoboz used to be my get to go music till mqa. I’m looking a dac that will give full mqa on optical not just rendering. Black Friday is around the corner hopefully they have them on sale.
Please share your findings, it'll be appreciated

Smartplug

No pops here only using Wiim first unfold into non-MQA Behringer SRC2496 DAC/ADC and samplerate converter with 96kHz maximum sample frequency.
On mqa off no pop but as soon I turn it on using mqa dac I hear pop.

dustinyo

Anyone compared audio quality of Tidal using a 24/96 MQA with the same quality track using Qobuz?! I keep reading negative things about MQA but wondering if it’s really an major audible difference when you’re streaming that high of quality.
The controversy with MQA is that it was found to be not actually lossless, more info here https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

Whether you'll actually hear a difference or not probably depends on your equipment, but in my experience, it's pretty difficult to tell a difference between hi-res services. Personally, I opted for Qobuz because it's cheaper.

dustinyo

Well on the 'Qobuz Connect' screen you can see yourself Airplay is one of the options

They've been calling it 'Qobuz Connect' for years.

They are working on the 'proper' Connect style at the moment.

As soon as we see one device, everyone should contact WiiM to request support.

View attachment 245298

Should be noted here that using Airplay limits files to 16bit and 44.1khz, which is fine for everything not hi-res. But if you want to get Full 24bit 48khz+ from hi-res files on Quboz you'll need to play it from the Wiim app or a 3rd party UPnP/DLNA app like mConnect (I personally don't care for this app and use the Wiim one). More info here: https://www.qobuz.com/be-nl/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Qobuz-application-M-connect-player180019

Imsjry

Should be noted here that using Airplay limits files to 16bit and 44.1khz, which is fine for everything not hi-res. But if you want to get Full 24bit 48khz+ from hi-res files on Quboz you'll need to play it from the Wiim app or a 3rd party UPnP/DLNA app like mConnect (I personally don't care for this app and use the Wiim one). More info here: https://www.qobuz.com/be-nl/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Qobuz-application-M-connect-player180019
I’ve gotten used to using Qobuz via the WiiM app but boy is it not ideal. For example, no sorting your artist list alphabetically option just for starters. Qobuz REALLY needs a true connect feature!

dustinyo

I’ve gotten used to using Qobuz via the WiiM app but boy is it not ideal. For example, no sorting your artist list alphabetically option just for starters. Qobuz REALLY needs a true connect feature!
Oh yes, the Wiim app is not good as a music player. I am anxiously awaiting a connect feature for Qobuz as well.

Top Bottom