• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
So it should always be used with an external dac as the internal one looks no better than an E30 ....
DAC chip is not the only thing which matters in the DA conversion but I doubt that Pro would have an analog section as advanced as it can be seen in the high quality DACs. So in most cases external DAC will be superior.

nerone

They should have put a better DAC inside so that they don't have so many electronic components (dacs) and power supplies lying around the room, even at a higher price

morillon

Major Contributor
Odd question for rme dac owners with bit perfect test..
if you use in variable output mode in no eq with mini and lowered by one or two increments the level or more.. still passes the test?
really out of curiosity
;-)

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
They should have put a better DAC inside so that they don't have so many electronic components (dacs) and power supplies lying around the room, even at a higher price
I will disagree. People with high quality DAC will not be interested in WiiM's built-in DAC at all, regardless of the chip used. People who don't have any external DAC are rather interested in maintaining the affordable price.

DantonIzzo

DAC chip is not the only thing which matters in the DA conversion but I doubt that Pro would have an analog section as advanced as it can be seen in the high quality DACs. So in most cases external DAC will be superior.
This maybe true, but to be honest with you, (for giggles) I plugged my Focal Clear og directly to the line output of the WiiM Mini. To my surprise, it sounded really good, and no noticeable difference than when outputting SPIDF to my Topping DX3 Pro+.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
This maybe true, but to be honest with you, (for giggles) I plugged my Focal Clear og directly to the line output of the WiiM Mini. To my surprise, it sounded really good, and no noticeable difference than when outputting SPIDF to my Topping DX3 Pro+.
No surprise at all. Some people here couldn't hear clipping distortions and DAC differences are definitely less noticeable. We all expect a lot but the truth is we cannot even hear it.

Merifon

No surprise at all. Some people here couldn't hear clipping distortions and DAC differences are definitely less noticeable. We all expect a lot but the truth is we cannot even hear it.
To be honest, many kind of music haven't peaks in the "danger zone" and when differences are subtle, comparisons without instant switch, could make hard to appreciate them. In the time lost between listen, stop, disconnect, connect, restart and listen again, aural memory has gone, the earth ran thousands kilometres and even me I'm not the same person as before...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
From Pro:
"Gapless playback.
WiiM Pro uses two decoders to remove extra samples at the beginning and end of each file and combines them."

That doesn't sound bit-perfect behavior to me.

Merifon

From Pro:
"Gapless playback.
WiiM Pro uses two decoders to remove extra samples at the beginning and end of each file and combines them."

depends, if the significative data values, after removing extra samples are left untouched it can be considered bit perfect.
I remind something similar when decades ago, with premiere 7 i was cutting and joining miniDV avi video files. the final contents, since DV standard is compressed intra frame, was absolutely identichal to original footage

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From Pro:
"Gapless playback.

It may be a workaround for DLNA. Another reason I hope they some day soon support Squeezelite.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It may be a workaround for DLNA. Another reason I hope they some day soon support Squeezelite.
DLNA has proper tools for gapless playback behavior in its standard protocol. I hope they've meant a way to fix padding which affects some formats like MP3.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Firmware 4955. Can someone test it if the distortion is gone and back on bit perfect?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I got 434845 beta for MQA.
No distortions in non-EQ mode, but EQ mode is broken and distorted even with flat preset.

keiron99

I'm building a headphone "rig" and have so far got a Wiim mini and Hifiman Sundara phones. I need an amp for them - the aux out on the Wiim is not powerful enough.

From tests using the headphone out on my itegrated amp, I also want to raise the bass on the headphones.

Would I be best getting a headphone amp/DAC with tone controls (the only one I have found is a budget Fosi Q4 with bass and treble knobs), or using the EQ within the Wiim?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I'm building a headphone "rig" and have so far got a Wiim mini and Hifiman Sundara phones. I need an amp for them - the aux out on the Wiim is not powerful enough.

From tests using the headphone out on my itegrated amp, I also want to raise the bass on the headphones.

Would I be best getting a headphone amp/DAC with tone controls (the only one I have found is a budget Fosi Q4 with bass and treble knobs), or using the EQ within the Wiim?
I would suggest using amp/dac with just a volume control and PEQ for Sundara's correction, but PEQ is not yet available for Mini. Current GEQ implementation is broken IMHO.

Top Bottom