• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

morillon

Major Contributor
you can well characterize our concern to wiim suddenly
I'm sorry I didn't see it like this sooner.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It could even be a problem with some dac.
In the DO100 archimago tests is reported: "Note that all of the filters showed intersample overload with the 0dBFS Wideband White Noise signal. This basically means that the filters do not provide a full +3dB overhead to cover most of the overload situations we might run into".
Who says? I should buy an RME ADI-2...
I had ADI-2 for a while and I've replaced it with miniDSP Flex because I need more advanced DSP functions for room correction. Despite of that I consider ADI-2 as an engineering masterpiece and SOTA in categories of DAC, preamp, and headamp.

Merifon

I was meaning by hypothesis: if something, bug or anything else, rises numeric level of what is coming from wiim (a -1.8dB signal shouldn't clip anyway), maybe there are dac having some troubles and others not.

morillon

Major Contributor
-3dbfs with this signal...-1.33dbfs pk
0.13dbfs pk is not so near of 0dbfs
there is a bit of leeway...

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I was wrong a bit. Signal is not being attenuated by -1 dBFS, as it's variable. Sine signal in the range of 0 to -1.1 dBFS is being attenuated to exactly -1.1 dBFS. And distorted.

Brantome

Major Contributor
New firmware being rolled out:

(Latest)
Release date:
10 / 31 / 2022
This update involves the following:
  • Fixed – New Deezer API (Need the latest App to work)
  • New Feature - Pandora music service (Works with the latest app updated in a few days)
  • Fixed – AirPlay 2 bug on IP v6 network (Use App to disable IPV6 if it doesn’t work for you)
  • Fixed – Unable to pause Amazon HD
  • Fixed – Incorrect play status for Amazon Music Gapless playback
  • New Feature - Add the entire album and playlist to the play queue for Amazon music
  • New Feature - Use the Aux-in content as the Alarm source
  • Other performance improvements

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
FWIW, Amazon Prime members now have unlimited access to the entire 100 million Amazon Music catalog (shuffle mode only), vs 2 million previously. I don't remember what bitrate, etc, probably 256 AAC or 320 mp3.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
FWIW, Amazon Prime members now have unlimited access to the entire 100 million Amazon Music catalog (shuffle mode only), vs 2 million previously. I don't remember what bitrate, etc, probably 256 AAC or 320 mp3.
Bit of a poisoned chalice tbh for many Prime Music users. It appears they lose the ability to simply play previously compiled playlists but get a shuffled playlist with similar songs instead; they can’t request specific tracks, albums etc; they can’t download for offline playback; and it seems that they can’t even access music they previously bought on Amazon or uploaded without similar restrictions. It’s displeasing quite a few Prime customers - and this a week before they face a price increase…

Edit: and yes, lossy SD mode only

Edit: plus it’ll give the gapless aficionados apoplexy: “This Amazon-mandated shuffling also means you can't listen to an album's tracks in sequence, which is practically sacrilege to many music fans.” And DSOTM fans, on the off chance Prime Music ever had the entire album ;):p

Last edited:

Merifon

Ok, I must admit, with 432755 Fw, playing the already mentioned 70_800_-1.8dB test file, is clearly hearable the distortion shown on spectroid app screenshots some pages back, with fixed level volume or variable set to max. Is enough to move down the cursor in wiim app by the smallest amount possible to make that distortion disappear...
I didn't believe it was possible.
Even LDAC on DO100 bluetooth also, doesn't distort at that level.
I'll check again when I get new Fw, otherwise I will stay with a tick down...

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Ok, I must admit, with 432755 Fw, playing the already mentioned 70_800_-1.8dB test file, is clearly hearable the distortion shown on spectroid app screenshots some pages back, with fixed level volume or variable set to max. Is enough to move down the cursor in wiim app by the smallest amount possible to make that distortion disappear...
I didn't believe it was possible.
Even LDAC on DO100 bluetooth also, doesn't distort at that level.
I'll check again when I get new Fw, otherwise I will stay with a tick down...
434158 didn't solve the issue.

Witterings

Is there some way to force these to Sync for multiroom music, I've recently changed one of my amps and there's now a big disparity between the 2 rooms which wasn't there before, I thought they'd "listen" to each other and the sync was automatic but music's been playing for a good 1/2 hr and it's not happened.

In the past I've tried to us the bit in the WiiM Applications settings but that seems to be for each individual device and just made it considerabl worse at the time, I don't think that part syncs them for multiroom unless I'm not using it correctly.

DantonIzzo

I know that but for those who want to stick on build in dac that was 10 years old. Can’t have everything on such low cost device. I only want pro just because of chromecast otherwise mini just fine. I want that pro to be release now!! My money is ready for you.
Honestly, I think the internal dac on the mini is actually pretty good (measurements aside). I tried plugging my Focal Clear og directly in the aux port, and it sounds just as good as when I run toslink to my Topping DX3 Pro+. I can't hear the difference...

morillon

Major Contributor
it's usually brief...but if it's been handled well...
it is very present..

Top Bottom