• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I find with the latest update that Amazon is back working reliably again, but I do agree with recent posts that the WiiM team are probably over stretching the technical capability of this device and we are at the "bleeding edge" of that technical capability. I would hope that a faster processor in the Wiim 'Pro' would provide a more reliable base for all the current capabilities and their Roadmap.

So for me, for the price, I think its a perfect device but I am mainly using it with Amazon Music (and some Alexa devices) and DLNA (for a fairly reliable DLNA server in my house - DLNA in my experience can be incredible problematic - too many point of failure - but this Wiim does a pretty good job with DLNA also). I also find it pretty reliable for the occasional Airplay casting (though this is usually just from a podcasting app on my iPhone). But the fact that it "supports" Spotify, Deezer, Tidal etc and now has EQ and various other new capabilities have I imagine caused software issues within the rapidablly changing WiiM codebase. (I am a software engineer so I appreciate the difficultly of 'CI' - continuous integration).

Other "stable" streamers IMO might be great with the set of features they were originally tested with and shipped with but I find that those products rarely if ever get updates and can quickly become useless 'bricks' because they haven't kept up to date with the latest changes in the streaming space. For example, I used to use Spotify and therefore Spotify Connect was incredible important for me but I moved over to Amazon and certain products I bought previously are gathering dust.

But if there was 1 feature I would like the WiiM team to provide now, it would be a way to selectively install (and stay on) a particular version of their software. For me the current version solves some of the problems that I have had in the past month or so (Around Amazon and DLNA) - so I would really really like to now stay with this version. If there are now problems with supporting the Deezer API's or Tidal or MQA or whatever other services (it personally doesn't interest me but I worry that by fixing them it will again cause unreliablity with my preferred services (I believe the device is being 'memory bound'). But I do appreciate that they keep moving forwards so if in say 6 months, I decide to switch to Tidal etc that I could then at that point update the software/firmware on the WiiM to provide 'stable' Tidal (or whatever future services they add support for).

Narnian

I worked in IT for 43 years and I cannot tell you how many times the network team insisted the issues were not the network, only to discover it was the network:p And the storage, database, server and other teams often said it was not their issue as well when it was. As the data center manager I had to push all the teams to work together because of the complexity of the systems (7,000 servers and 45,000 clients world wide). Interfaces are complex and often a source of problems.

Home networks are surprisingly complicated nowadays with all of the devices (endpoints) and even one out of whack can mess up a network. Speed tests are of limited usefulness and few users can do packet capture and inspection.

The fact that some people have no WIIM issues while others do shows this as each users setup is unique. I am using mostly Tidal and some DLNA off of a local NAS at this point and Tidal is one of the more mature implementations. Even then I had issues with the DLNA server that came with the NAS and switched to a Plex DLNA server and that helped as the Plex was a better server. The issue was not WIIM but it would have been easy to blame WIIM.

I have lots of IOT (Internet of Things) devices (light switches, cameras, etc.) In fact I have at least 50 of them as I have a highly wired house and my network is constantly buzzing with packets flying everywhere. Careful network design (using managed switches, Quality of Service (QOS), VLANs, etc.) can help improve traffic management and facilitate troubleshooting. The problem is this is beyond most home users ability and it is easy to get frustrated.

MrX

One issue with Amazon Alexacast is that after a while my Amazon app disconnects from the Wiim while playing and I have to go to the Wiim app to control the stream. It's like there's a timeout or something. Spotify Connect is still the gold standard. I sure wish Spotify would go lossless
I just want to mention, I have an Amazon Echo Link and it displays the exact same behavior.

thibodeaux

One issue with Amazon Alexacast is that after a while my Amazon app disconnects from the Wiim while playing and I have to go to the Wiim app to control the stream. It's like there's a timeout or something. Spotify Connect is still the gold standard. I sure wish Spotify would go lossless
Spotify HiFi coming soon
https://www.reddit.com/r/truespotify/comments/y3zz63
I've seen several other posts confirming the information in the above post - Google is your friend

Reactions: MCH

dimitrig

But if there was 1 feature I would like the WiiM team to provide now, it would be a way to selectively install (and stay on) a particular version of their software.

Yes, or at least the option to choose if and when we want to update.

Turambar

Can you please mention a few reasonably priced DACs with full MQA decoding over Toslink? I am interested. Thxs.
My friend, "reasonable price" can mean different things to two different people, in this case you and me.

I had one DAC that was able to do this in the past, the Mytek Liberty, it's no longer produced, but there is a successor the Mytek Liberty 2, so I guess it would be able to decode MQA in all inputs too.

Taking a quick look, it seems this DAC from SMSL, the DO200, it's able too: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003400456309.html

At least it's boasting of being able of Full MQA Decoding by USB, OPT, Coaxial and AES.

mediocrebutarrogant

Can you please mention a few reasonably priced DACs with full MQA decoding over Toslink? I am interested. Thxs.
My friend, "reasonable price" can mean different things to two different people, in this case you and me.

I had one DAC that was able to do this in the past, the Mytek Liberty, it's no longer produced, but there is a successor the Mytek Liberty 2, so I guess it would be able to decode MQA in all inputs too.

Taking a quick look, it seems this DAC from SMSL, the DO200, it's able too: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003400456309.html

At least it's boasting of being able of Full MQA Decoding by USB, OPT, Coaxial and AES.
Gustard x16 , Topping EX5 or DX5 the new one both can do full MQA decode over optical

Michou

Gustard x16 , Topping EX5 or DX5 the new one both can do full MQA decode over optical
Out of curiosity I checked and apparently it looks like the Topping EX5 does not have MQA decode support through its Toslink input... Thanks anyway.

Attachments

• 811BSmLcLyS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    811BSmLcLyS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
j-1 ...
announced for 30/09 but now 17/10
the new deezer app
the "cobaye "idiot"" frolics happily without measuring what is playing for him...
:cool::cool::)

Smartplug

Spotify HiFi coming soon
https://www.reddit.com/r/truespotify/comments/y3zz63
I've seen several other posts confirming the information in the above post - Google is your friend
That’s too expensive! It has same price as tidal hifi plus. Their apps and connect are gold standard. If they just offer 12 dollars many will switch to them because on amazon only way you can cast on their apps is having a wiim and on apple you’re limited to airplay 48khz. Spotify only lacking is hifi version. I like Spotify apps and functionality but sound was lacking due to mp3 quality.

Reactions: MrX

JimmyMac

I have the Gustard X18, and it has worked perfectly doing the MQA full unfold. However....this latest firmware update (20221011), somehow broke it, and now it stutters, but only when playing MQA content from Tidal. I've reported this bug to WiiM, so hopefully fixed in the next firmware update.

Witterings

One of mine's just completely disappeared off the network AGAIN and the WiiM App saying unable to concect ... I'm sorry but I'm seeing these as little more than unreliable toys at the moment.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm sorry but I'm seeing these as little more than unreliable toys at the moment.
It's a shame you aren't willing to troubleshoot your networking

ie move it closer to router, 5GHz on router, check DNS is 8.8.8.8

Many of us that have this working well for months don't really see this the way you do.

If you don't want to troubleshoot your WiFi (like i had to) then probably WiiM Pro with ethernet port is for you

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I would agree connectivity problems are usually network problems and not necessarily device problems ( especially if not many other people are complaining about things which are network type issues with the wiim)!

FYI I work for a company which look at doing diagnostics for networking issues in consumer households and it can be minefield - eg look at the distance of the wiim from your router!!!

Top Bottom