• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

diggida

Details as to why a long stereo rca can't be run from projector to AVR?
Mostly just that the layout of the house makes in difficult. I'd have to run like a 50ft cable around the house or run through the attic or something. Certainly doable but a wireless solution would seemingly be a lot easier IF it works, haha.

Last edited:

imral3

Mostly just that the layout of the house makes in difficult. I'd have to run like a 50ft cable around the hows or run through the attic or something. Certainly doable but a wirelss solution would seemingly be a lot easier IF it works, haha.
Don't be lazy! Ha! :p
Cable will be cheap and easy if you just do it.

diggida

I think you're hoping for a solution that simply doesn't exist ... you're trying to throw too many components into the mix.

When you posted before I suggested an audio extractor which will take an HDMI feed from the Chromecast, split it and allow video pass through with a seperate AUX out but it sounds like you don't want the lead out or that would have been a possible solution.

You could try AUX out into a WiiM plugged into whatever amp you want to play the sound through but I think you'll have some serious lip sync issues if you do.

It's the 2nd time you've asked the same question, you've obviously not liked the previous suggestions that were offered, most people here are helpful but if you're asking for a solution that just isn't possible at the moment no one can help ....or they would.

Maybe you've found a gap in the market, talk to WiM and if it sells big you may be able to ask for a royalty.
Thanks for your response. I didnt really get any responses the first time, or if I did I somehow missed them. I'll read back through the thread.

It SOUNDS like I can take the audio out of the projector and go into one Wiim and then transmit that to the other Wiim thats hooked up to my sound system. If that worked I'd be happy with it, though it sounds like I may have lip sync issues any way I do it.

Thanks for your time!

diggida

Don't be lazy! Ha! :p
Cable will be cheap and easy if you just do it.
Ha! Well, I mean, this is, like, a thread about a device that does wireless streaming, haha. We could all just run cables from our phones to our home stereos, right? :D

MrX

Anyone having issues with the casting to WiiM from AMHD app on Android phone when AMHD app would eventually lose track of the tracks it's playing (pun unintended) and you end up with AMHD app showing one track, WiiM Home app another one and the actual playback is from yet another track? I have made sure that both apps are set to unrestricted battery usage in background mode in my Samsung phone's settings but it still happens all the time. Very annoying.
FYI, I also have an Amazon Echo Link and it suffers from the same issue. I can't put too much blame on WiiM, especially considering they have accomplished something even Amazon's own hardware has failed to achieve, namely, bit-perfect streaming out to a TOS-LINK connection and the cherry on top - gapless playback. Yes, I'm saying Amazon's own hardware lacks this.

Bamyasi

FYI, I also have an Amazon Echo Link and it suffers from the same issue. I can't put too much blame on WiiM, especially considering they have accomplished something even Amazon's own hardware has failed to achieve, namely, bit-perfect streaming out to a TOS-LINK connection and the cherry on top - gapless playback. Yes, I'm saying Amazon's own hardware lacks this.
I am also suspecting this behavior is mostly caused by Amazon service issues, i.e. when for some reason Amazon cloud servers refuse or fail to return a HD/UHD stream requested by a client (WiiM Mini) within the reasonable time window. Would be nice if WiiM Mini firmware be able to process such exceptions more gracefully though. As of now, this often causes major disruption and eventually a crash, which requires reboot to return it to a usable state. Might potentially scare the hell out of a new user.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yeah, think I’ve mentioned the Echo Link and its shortcomings much earlier in this thread, plus the Amazon Music app can be very temperamental at times. It‘s almost like the big players like and Apple, for example, have their hi res streaming services and their own hardware but go out of the way to make it very hard to use them together.
it’ll be interesting to see if Amazon do anything about it at the week’s Devices event - the Link must be at least three years old and in desperate need of a refresh.

Brantome

Major Contributor
iPad WiiM app just updated - landscape mode at last :)
9B61AA80-4574-45F9-B795-9D9C6375E2E1.jpeg

Witterings

Thanks for your response. I didnt really get any responses the first time, or if I did I somehow missed them. I'll read back through the thread.

It SOUNDS like I can take the audio out of the projector and go into one Wiim and then transmit that to the other Wiim thats hooked up to my sound system. If that worked I'd be happy with it, though it sounds like I may have lip sync issues any way I do it.

Thanks for your time!

One of these ?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Now it's show kbps and bits on tunein radio, Great!
Thanks for reply earlier,i didn't know that that was app option and i was waiting for device update:)
Yeah, the android app has been similarly updated re Tunein but without tablet mode

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does anyone know what dac will be inside this?
Only thing I’ve seen mentioned is in this article which is a bit vague:

”The WiiM Mini has a high-quality Burr-Brown PCM5121 onboard, but that standard budget-streamer DAC is nearly a decade old now.
“This DAC has very good cost-to-performance,” says Zhao. “We’re evaluating other options from (Burr-Brown manufacturer) Texas Instruments.””

diggida

One of these ?

Oh thats interesting. A non BT/Airplay solution. Anyone try one?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Only thing I’ve seen mentioned is in this article which is a bit vague:

”The WiiM Mini has a high-quality Burr-Brown PCM5121 onboard, but that standard budget-streamer DAC is nearly a decade old now.
“This DAC has very good cost-to-performance,” says Zhao. “We’re evaluating other options from (Burr-Brown manufacturer) Texas Instruments.””

Also from that article:
The WiiM Mini, a black puck measuring 2.7 inches in diameter, is so small that Linkplay could not fit one of its off-the-shelf modules. Instead, it built the equivalent of its A97 module onto a printed circuit board assembly.

The Pro looks big enough to easily fit Linkplay's new A128 module, perhaps explaining the (so far) lack of FCC approval for the Pro - it's not needed if they are using the A128. If so, the Pro could drop any day now...

Brantome

Major Contributor

Narnian

Also from that article:

The Pro looks big enough to easily fit Linkplay's new A128 module, perhaps explaining the (so far) lack of FCC approval for the Pro - it's not needed if they are using the A128. If so, the Pro could drop any day now...
I listened to a review of the Arylic S50 Pro+ the other day and the reviewer said they could see it and control it through the WIIM app. A lot of similarities there as well in the box, though I like the looks of the Arylic better. Wonder if they share some of the same guts.

1663959353203.jpeg

1663959496547.jpeg

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I listened to a review of the Arylic S50 Pro+ the other day and the reviewer said they could see it and control it through the WIIM app. A lot of similarities there as well in the box, though I like the looks of the Arylic better. Wonder if they share some of the same guts.
No, it uses the outdated Linkplay A31 module. It will likely measure the same as the Songbird, Keiid, etc. which appear to truncate everything to 16 bits. No Airplay 2, no 5GHz WiFi.

Last edited:

Narnian

No, it uses the outdated Linkplay A31 module. It will likely measure the same as the Songbird, Keiid, etc. which appear to truncate everything to 16 bits. No Airplay 2, no 5GHz WiFi.
Oh well. Hopefully the WIIM team will pick up a few design tips from it for the WIIM Pro v2, which I am sure we will all start talking about as soon and the WIIM Pro drops.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Also from that article:

A128 is not really new, it had got WiFi certification before Mini has got it.

Top Bottom