• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Digitization isn't automatically a bad thing

Good digital room correction can do some pretty incredibly good things for sound quality

If you can keep a digital source digital all the way, this is good
Yes, but when you digitalize analog input rca it’s a bad thing unlike digital input on receiver is straight digital which probably why is veiled.

Smartplug

Did you try any others pure 88.2 file (not MQA) from any other source, download or Qobuz trial?
Are they eventually still stuttering with E50?
I tried some 88.2 with Wiim, when I had a SMSL 100Mk2 during trial period, they worked good.
Now I have a DO100 with Tidal hi-fi and all trials exhausted...
No only services I have tidal and amazon. I will try another non mqa dac which are schiit modi and their modi multibit. If these dacs don’t stutter, the issue will be the mqa core on wiim not playing nicely on mqa dac that has renderer. They should incorporate a toggle switch to turn off between renderer non renderer dac or if they can fix it without switch.

Turambar

Of course this needs to be fixed. There are some MQA core implementations in other platforms, and they don't have this problem.

Merifon

No only services I have tidal and amazon. I will try another non mqa dac which are schiit modi and their modi multibit. If these dacs don’t stutter, the issue will be the mqa core on wiim not playing nicely on mqa dac that has renderer. They should incorporate a toggle switch to turn off between renderer non renderer dac or if they can fix it without switch.
The purpose of trying a non MQA 88.2 file was to exclude any coupling problem among dac and wiim at such sample rate.
I think you can search on amazon by desired sample rate. There are links with sample test files also, at the moment I don't remind...

Last edited:

Smartplug

The purpose of trying a non MQA 88.2 file was to exclude any coupling problem among dac and wiim at such sample rate.
I think you can search on amazon by desired sample rate. There are links with sample test files also, at the moment I don't remind...
My Yamaha RXV6A is one of their entry level AV receiver so I’m expecting their internal dac is subpar so I purchase Topping E50 to give me better sound knowing it’s one of top ESS chip than what’s on Yamaha. I connect the RCA jack from E50 and to AV receiver analog input and click Pure Direct. Analog input get digitalize and this is major reason I’m not getting the sound signature of E50 because it get altered by AD then DA. Too many converter is never good thing as it add noise, distortions and sound signature. However, feeding Wiim directly to digital input of Yamaha made sound incredibly satisfying and before I can’t hear 96 or 192khz over 44. It add layer of depth, wider soundstage. When I get a chance I will connect E50 on all analog amp to hear what this thing can do.

Brantome

Major Contributor
How do you control tidal on pc/laptop using your mobile? I surely like the sound of mqa but the inconvenient of getting up to change the laptop is annoying.
Can’t you use some kind of Remote Desktop app on your mobile to access and control your pc?

derek13

Just saw:
4.6.428136 (Latest) Release date: 9 / 5 / 2022

• Improvement - Gapless playback for Amazon Music Ultra HD on the WiiM Home App (by removing the fade in/out)
  • Fixed – Taking 15-20 seconds to change song with TIDAL Connect in some rare cases
  • Fixed - Unable to resume the playback for the last song on Amazon Music Playlist
  • Fixed - Random crash when calling HTTP API for WiiM Mini
  • Fixed - Spotify Preset doesn't work on certain use cases
  • Other performance improvements

My devices haven't updated yet.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Just saw:
4.6.428136 (Latest) Release date: 9 / 5 / 2022

• Improvement - Gapless playback for Amazon Music Ultra HD on the WiiM Home App (by removing the fade in/out)
  • Fixed – Taking 15-20 seconds to change song with TIDAL Connect in some rare cases
  • Fixed - Unable to resume the playback for the last song on Amazon Music Playlist
  • Fixed - Random crash when calling HTTP API for WiiM Mini
  • Fixed - Spotify Preset doesn't work on certain use cases
  • Other performance improvements

My devices haven't updated yet.
Not yet available for me but httpapi fix is something I'm waiting for.

Brantome

Major Contributor
No firmware update for me yet either, patience is a virtue and the Mini is virtuous!

Yeah, I'm patiently awaiting it too - and the iOS app update with tablet mode that I hope will see the light of day soon…

Last edited:

Pep2020

WiFi status is 'weak' on wiim mini. Strength on phone is 'excellent' both roughly same distance from WiFi access point. I've rebooted AP and Wiim. Not solved it. This has been working fine for months until this.

Just did a factory reset on wiim but still the same.

Any ideas??

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
WiFi status is 'weak' on wiim mini. Strength on phone is 'excellent' both roughly same distance from WiFi access point. I've rebooted AP and Wiim. Not solved it. This has been working fine for months until this.

Just did a factory reset on wiim but still the same.

Any ideas??
WiFi channel is the same as before?

Pep2020

It's 5GHz so my APs always use just one channel.

Weird but had mysteriously solved itself.

Smartplug

I’m getting here and there weak signal which I never had before. Wiim pro has Ethernet so this will solve my issue once it’s release. I like my streaming direct instead of wifi.

DantonIzzo

I’ve always found 5ghz’s connection to be too unstable so I stick with 2.4ghz. You don’t need the 5ghz speed for steaming music.

Witterings

I had similar the other day, 1st one of them couldn't be seen in the WiiM App so I rebooted it, can back up connected to 2.4ghz (I'd always set it to the 5ghz) and was saying weak, switched it to 5ghz only and was still saying weak and then suddenly it was fine .... this was only on 1 of them, the one nearest the access point.

There's no way to actually go and switch which you're connected to that I can find.

Smartplug

I had similar the other day, 1st one of them couldn't be seen in the WiiM App so I rebooted it, can back up connected to 2.4ghz (I'd always set it to the 5ghz) and was saying weak, switched it to 5ghz only and was still saying weak and then suddenly it was fine .... this was only on 1 of them, the one nearest the access point.

There's no way to actually go and switch which you're connected to that I can find.
Before I never had any WiFi issue maybe the firmware updates mess up the code

Top Bottom