• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

I don't get any stream info at all in the app. As far as i know I'm up-to-date.
Just to remind, only stream started from wiim app itself, shows freq, depth and bitrate.
When you started directly from Tidal, spot or Amazon, title only is shown

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s funny some other streamer cost several thousands and yet doesn’t sound thousands better than wiim. Like they say, if you’re smart use your head and put the money where it makes sense. I’m sure we want Lamborghini for the price of corolla.

telemike

I am on latest Beta
B9BE0DE8-60C1-40D5-A795-D7FAB64CAFF3.png

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
People from headfi are hostile regarding measurements that asr provided.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The DAC.

As long as the bits reaching the DAC are the same (also means the cable is good enough) there's no way 2 different optical (it's just light! no ground noise) sources can sound different
You forgot jitter. The same bits delivered differently in terms of time frames will make different sound.

Merifon

You forgot jitter. The same bits delivered differently in terms of time frames will make different sound.
It's a recursively argument, try to search on past posts. A dac with good clock management, it is inherently jitter-proof. Jitter errors are conseguence of bad clock correction during conversion process (AD and mainly DA) inside the dac.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's a recursively argument, try to search on past posts. A dac with good clock management, it is inherently jitter-proof. Jitter errors are conseguence of bad clock correction during conversion process (AD and mainly DA) inside the dac.
Hearable or not jitter is unavoidable by nature. And that makes the "no way" statement simple false even for equally bit perfect sources.

Witterings

Am I right in thinking non beta testers should now have Amazon UHD from the WiiM App?

The max I'm getting is 24/48, I've logged out of Amazon and back in again and checked that that audio quality settings are correct and the Amazon Music HD/UHD slider is to the right / green.

Turambar

I have Amazon UHD from the Wiim app since a long time, with zero problems.

Merifon

Hearable or not jitter is unavoidable by nature. And that makes the "no way" statement simple false even for equally bit perfect sources.
Yes, any physical periodic event has jitter but if it's side effects are managed to kept under noise floor, it's like there is not jitter

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Nope not forgotten. Every 2 weeks someone comes here talking about jitter.

#1,551
#1,732

The conclusion: get a good DAC that eliminates measurable TOSlink jitter. Such DACs exist :)

What DAC are you using @onlyoneme ?
No clue then why you make false statements when you know they are false and everybody knows it's more complex then limiting just to being bit perfect in terms of raw data. It depends on different factors, like dac's ability to recover the clock sent over data in spdif, if jitter is going to be hearable in the sound after DA conversion.

Music1969

Major Contributor
No clue then why you make false statements when you know they are false and everybody knows it's more complex then limiting just to being bit perfect in terms of raw data. It depends on different factors, like dac's ability to recover the clock sent over data in spdif, if jitter is going to be hearable in the sound after DA conversion.
False statements?

Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D (you haven't read those posts ?)

Just get a good DAC that makes this issue immeasurable and don't worry about it

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
False statements?

Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D (you haven't read those posts ?)

Just get a good DAC that makes this issue immeasurable and don't worry about it
I'm not worried. I simply point out that your "no way" statement was wrong as it depends on other factors like dac's quality if jitter is going to be hearable or not.

morillon

Major Contributor
amazing
here we classify at the db near snr side... while we recognize at the same time above a 112 db """we don't hear the differences""...
but this jitter story is not a subject...
a good dac and more history of jitter... everything is settled...
however, there are tons of measurements here, observing big differences at constant dacs with different types of inputs.. usb spdif toslink aes
so what about reading you, the dac will fix it...
;-)
there are measurements here, in toslink or spdif input etc to dac and constant input but by varying the sources of variable jitter?
;-)

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm not worried. I simply point out that your "no way" statement was wrong as it depends on other factors like dac's quality if jitter is going to be hearable or not.
If you read the posts I linked very early in this thread, the background is already explained.

So any "no way" statements all have this attached (if you read the linked posts): "Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D"

This cannot be debated.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
If you read the posts I linked very early in this thread, the background is already explained.

So any "no way" statements all have this attached (if you read the linked posts): "Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D"

This cannot be debated.
I am old dated enough to read definitive statements literally. So if you are trying to be definitive and same time you mean some unspoken "alterations" being attached, well, that's another issue. You simply confirm your "no way" doesn't really mean "no way".

Top Bottom