• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

bismarck

Hi.
I have two DACs, both without display of Sample Rate/Bit Depth.
What is the cheapest solution to add such display to the toslink output of the Wiim Mini?
TIA.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi.
What is the cheapest solution to add such display to the toslink output of the Wiim Mini?
TIA.

I wouldn't worry about the bit depth too much.

Sample rate is more interesting to check if there is resampling happening.

If incoming sample rate matches the source, I highly doubt your source will be reducing 24 bits to 16 bits. I've never seen that.

This is a good DAC:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi.
TIA.
There's a neat thread on creating your own display, slightly techie but there is plenty of help: WiiM Display (python app)

bismarck

I wouldn't worry about the bit depth too much.

Sample rate is more interesting to check if there is resampling happening.

If incoming sample rate matches the source, I highly doubt your source will be reducing 24 bits to 16 bits. I've never seen that.

This is a good DAC:

Thank you.
I'm not interested in changing my DACs: one of them, for example, is an Audio Research worth 5000 Euros.
I am interested only in verifying the toslink output of streamers, such as the Wiim, for comparison purposes.
What is the cheapest device that can display Sample Rate/Bit Depth ?

telemike

The WIIM app will show you the stream info. The WIIM will output what's coming in. It doesn't change the incoming stream.

morillon

Major Contributor
Thank you.
I'm not interested in changing my DACs: one of them, for example, is an Audio Research worth 5000 Euros.
I am interested only in verifying the toslink output of streamers, such as the Wiim, for comparison purposes.
What is the cheapest device that can display Sample Rate/Bit Depth ?
in first,
it is the nature of the toslink of the a-r and its ability or not to receive more than 96k which is interesting...
after 96k 24 bits it's already more than enough and the wiim will reformat in 96k from 192k if necessary...
(from local files of known resolution and by playing on the settings available on the wiim app.. it is easy to check, the ""toslink"" of the wiim is ok at 192k)

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would like to ask the forum. Let say expensive streamer like those 6000 vs wiim 99 dollars. If those streamer use digital out and use same dac and same connection let say optical, would the dac dictate sound quality or is the transport?

bismarck

The WIIM app will show you the stream info. The WIIM will output what's coming in. It doesn't change the incoming stream.
Thank you.
I know that, but nevertheless I would like to verify it with some kind of hardware meter.

Music1969

Major Contributor
would the dac dictate sound quality
The DAC.

As long as the bits reaching the DAC are the same (also means the cable is good enough) there's no way 2 different optical (it's just light! no ground noise) sources can sound different

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thank you.
I know that, but nevertheless I would like to verify it with some kind of hardware meter.
If you buy an RME ADI-2 FS Pro, it has optical input and optical output.

It can sit between your streamer and your Audio Research $5k DAC.

And the screen will tell you both the bit depth and sample rate.

You can even use it's headphone amp if you like, otherwise it is a very expensive meter.

bismarck

in first,
it is the nature of the toslink of the a-r and its ability or not to receive more than 96k which is interesting...
after 96k 24 bits it's already more than enough and the wiim will reformat in 96k from 192k if necessary...
(from local files of known resolution and by playing on the settings available on the wiim app.. it is easy to check, the ""toslink"" of the wiim is ok at 192k)
Thank you.
The Audio Research supports 24/192 into toslink.
Ditto for the other DAC, which is a Micromega.
Nevertheless, I would like to verify that the Wiim (and some other streamer I am testing) switches correctly the Sample Rate/Bit Depth depending on the track that is playing, i.e. it is actually bit-perfect.

morillon

Major Contributor
the thing has been verified many times.... there is no doubt on this point...

the worries just concern the validity of the resolutions of the streaming offers... etc etc

bismarck

If you buy an RME ADI-2 FS Pro, it has optical input and optical output.

It can sit between your streamer and your Audio Research $5k DAC.

And the screen will tell you both the bit depth and sample rate.

You can even use it's headphone amp if you like, otherwise it is a very expensive meter.
What about some cheap DAC to use only for metering and then put apart?
Do you know a very cheap DAC which displays both the bit depth and sample rate?
I would use it just like a tester.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What about some cheap DAC to use only for metering and then put apart?
Do you know a very cheap DAC which displays both the bit depth and sample rate?
I would use it just like a tester.
No, if I knew one cheaper I would have mentioned it in my first reply :)

I mentioned bit depth is not that important. In which case, I already linked you to a cheap DAC that shows sample rate.

It's a good DAC too that you can use in a different system or give to a friend/family

morillon

Major Contributor
the thing has been verified many times.... there is no doubt on this point... 192k24bit capability of the wiim in toslink

the worries just concern the validity of the resolutions of the streaming offers...

bismarck

No, if I knew one cheaper I would have mentioned it in my first reply :)

I mentioned bit depth is not that important. In which case, I already linked you to a cheap DAC that shows sample rate.

It's a good DAC too that you can use in a different system or give to a friend/family
What about SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII ?
At the moment is about 120 Euros on Amazon.
Only sample rate display, though...

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yeh that's fine too.

You won't find anything showing bit depth at this price range.

More likely is another pro audio device (like RME) but not this budget. I'll try to have a look when I get a spare moment.

But like i said several messages back, if sample rate is maintain from source to DAC, that is enough because everyone here with a WiiM Mini can confirm it is capable of bit perfect playback. We've already done the tests for you :)

So for the various streaming services, just checking sample rate is sufficient. WiiM Mini does not do bit depth reduction (after you change its optical output to supporting 24/192)

Music1969

Major Contributor

The old Topping D50 showed bit depth (not new D50s).

But you look at photos below and tell me if it's reliable :D

Just stick to sample rate only. Or RME ADI-2

10351800.jpg

10368491.jpg

Top Bottom