• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm with Amir on this thing, but when it gets Roon and an Ethernet connection (Pro?) my Bluesound stuff may go to eBay. The Pulse Mini I got my wife for he birthday may have to stay, she likes the portability and Qobuz Duo account. I don't understand why those guys don't update their UI more often as there are many upset customers on BS Topics site.

Last edited:

Geon

Apologies if this has been answered. Have an arcam sa20 coming that uses optical to access the dac, I'm using Qobuz through Audirvana. Is it possible to utilize Audirvana/Qobuz using the Wiim?
If so, what is the procedure? Much appreciated.

Turambar

Apologies if this has been answered. Have an arcam sa20 coming that uses optical to access the dac, I'm using Qobuz through Audirvana. Is it possible to utilize Audirvana/Qobuz using the Wiim?
I use Qobuz, but not Audirvana.

This is a review published about that:

Despite online reports of many happy users employing the WiiM Mini as a DLNA network player, it didn’t perform reliably in my main audio system, where I use Audirvana playback software and its remote-control app with a Mac Mini. Initially, music sputtered relentlessly. A WiiM Mini firmware update resolved that.

But then music might play for an hour or two before stopping. Finally, I contacted WiiM’s excellent tech support, which typically responds within a day or two. I had waited far too long. After the WiiM team analyzed my Audirvana logs, the Audirvana-Qobuz combination played without stopping in a 10-hour test.

“We’re checking the Qobuz-on-Audirvana and hope we can improve the experience,” says Zhao. “I know many audiophiles are using this software, so it’s important to have a good compatibility.”

So, it seems to be ok.

amper42

Major Contributor

I have used Qobuz with Audirvana through the WiiM mini. It's as easy as selecting the Wiim puck in the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen and then playing Qobuz tunes with Audirvana. The only problem is the latest Wiim software fails to continue playing all track of the album or play list. After a few songs it stops.

If you use the RPi4 with Moode software the issue goes away. The WiiM firmware didn't use to do this but with all the changes for Amazon users the UPnP interface is less reliable now with Audirvana.

sfdoddsy

Does Gapless work through the aux output, or only the Toslink?

sfdoddsy

It doesn’t seem to in my case.

I had no issues when I was using the optical out of my Wiim to my DAC via Roon.

But I’m now using the aux output directly into active speakers and getting an audible (albeit low level) glitch after every track.

It doesn’t drive me crazy, but it does bug me enough to ponder adding a DAC.

thomasward00

I have used Qobuz with Audirvana through the WiiM mini. It's as easy as selecting the Wiim puck in the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen and then playing Qobuz tunes with Audirvana. The only problem is the latest Wiim software fails to continue playing all track of the album or play list. After a few songs it stops.

If you use the RPi4 with Moode software the issue goes away. The WiiM firmware didn't use to do this but with all the changes for Amazon users the UPnP interface is less reliable now with Audirvana.
That seems to be an awful lot of complexity to ask from a $89 dollar streamer....
Just use the Wiim app.

Brantome

Major Contributor
It doesn’t seem to in my case.

I had no issues when I was using the optical out of my Wiim to my DAC via Roon.

But I’m now using the aux output directly into active speakers and getting an audible (albeit low level) glitch after every track.

It doesn’t drive me crazy, but it does bug me enough to ponder adding a DAC.
If you use the feedback section in the WiiM app, they’ll look at fixing it I’m sure. What music service are you using?

dguillor

Forum Donor
8/5 was probably a typo if you look at the two week pattern. I see they’ve also dropped “parametric” from their description of EQ on https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap which seems to be the one they're updating rather than ./whatsNew

Update: I see they've updated some of the bug fixes for the 7/27 release, including a couple I submitted for AMHD
It still says 10 band, which was part of the description for the planned parametric equalizer, so I bet that the parametric eq is still coming. I hope so because if it does I can eliminate the minidsp 2x4 HD that I am using for eq.

mediocrebutarrogant

Compared to full MQA unfold on my topping e50 over usb using pass through Mqa ,to optical from WiiM mini is a downgrade at this point in time. till they support mqa pass through which still does not work. Also over optical to e50 I can only get 24 bit 96 KHz and not 192 which e50 is capable of ,so a bit underwhelming but ok for the convenience of tidal connect. In all ok but not as awesome as e50 over usb that’s not possible with WiiM over optical my 2cw but I might say equal to volumio usb with tidal connect on raspi4b

mediocrebutarrogant

Hi,

I bought a WiiM Mini Streamer for 99EUR.
Connected by optical TOSLINK to an optical splitter. One output of the splitter goes into a Topping E30 DAC and then to a headphone amp. The other output of the splitter goes into an optical input of my AV receiver.

There has been a firmware update a few days ago with the new features:
- bitperfect TOSLINK output. So the sampling rate/depth is identical to the source. Up to 192kHz 24Bit
- switch for fixed volume, so no influence from the streamer (no DSP processing etc)

I am using it with Amazon Music and Spotify.
From my understanding the optical out should now send the original music signal to the DAC without having any influence on the music quality.

Is there any chance that a (very much) more expensive streamer can have any advantage in audio quality? Or only snakeoil?
Just speaking about digital out, not the DAC inside the streamer.

Cheers
Mario
I bought WiiM mini and sorry it’s not as good as hooking up your laptop over usb to a proper dac

mediocrebutarrogant

Strange, with SMSL 100mkII I gone up to 192khz with Qobuz.
Now switched to Tidal hi-fi for some reasons and still not tested the new DO100 but 44.1.
I'll do some testing at holidays end
Try playing the test tone for 192 24 from WiiM home app

Merifon

I bought WiiM mini and sorry it’s not as good as hooking up your laptop over usb to a proper dac
I have some doubts about the fact that a good dac with good clock management could be so different. However, everything can be, for example the fact that the connection fails to reach 192, may indicate that some problem exists.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you have some local files at 192 to test?
The app has an internal test sample when you set the quality at Audio Settings.
I had to try a couple of times to get the test sample to play, having Wiim Mini connected to RME ADI-2 DAC. First time there was no signal, but going back to the format selection view and trying again it worked. This issue did not depend on 192/24, it happened with every format.

mediocrebutarrogant

I am not saying it’s not good , WiiM is quite good and features are awesome but at this point sound quality can be described as ok at best for a tidal user

Top Bottom