• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Jpdelaney.tml

ah yes, just checking seem to stumble first time out track 1to2 Dark Side of the Moon. I’ll reserve my agreement for a bit.

Jpdelaney.tml

Hapless it pretty good but Pink Floyd DSoM falters a bit. Time bar really flaky if you move it. Will report to Wiim

Jpdelaney.tml

Pink Floyd must be hard to do gapless. Transitions on The Wall not great either,. What's up, any one else hear this?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Pink Floyd must be hard to do gapless. Transitions on The Wall not great either,. What's up, any one else hear this?
Sounds good to me.

Can you be more specific? Give an example track and what you mean by "not great" ?

There's nothing that stands out like dogs bollocks, the way big 3 second gaps stand out (like with casting)

Witterings

Once they've got the Amazon casting gapless UHD from the Amazon and the WiiM App and it's on general release don't know if anyone can answer this

I've set an Echo Dot to use the WiiM as it's speaker for anything music related, I'm guessing if I don't have the either of the Apps open but just say "Alex play ... song name / artist" ... does anyone know what will define the quality it's played at i.e. the WiiM App, Amazon App or as the command's coming from the Dot will it be restricted to the Dot's 16/44 rather than UHD.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Once they've got the Amazon casting gapless UHD from the Amazon and the WiiM App and it's on general release don't know if anyone can answer this

I've set an Echo Dot to use the WiiM as it's speaker for anything music related, I'm guessing if I don't have the either of the Apps open but just say "Alex play ... song name / artist" ... does anyone know what will define the quality it's played at i.e. the WiiM App, Amazon App or as the command's coming from the Dot will it be restricted to the Dot's 16/44 rather than UHD.
The quality is dictated by what the target device I.e. the WiiM, supports. So, for example, if I ask “Alexa, play Mr Blue Sky by ELO on Puck”, it plays at 24/192 on my WiiM Mini.

Edit: To more directly answer your query, that also works where you have the WiiM defined as preferred speaker in an Alexa smart home device group along with an Echo. Just tested that to be double sure :)

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
The quality is dictated by what the target device I.e. the WiiM, supports. So, for example, if I ask “Alexa, play Mr Blue Sky by ELO on Puck”, it plays at 24/192 on my WiiM Mini.

Edit: To more directly answer your query, that also works where you have the WiiM defined as preferred speaker in an Alexa smart home device group along with an Echo. Just tested that to be double sure :)
A caveat with that though - it doesn’t support gapless AMHD playback, guess we’ll have to wait a couple of months for that…

Witterings

It becomes even more interesting if that's the case, I'm currently not on the Beta release so if I'm using the Amazon App to cast a playlist (called "Good") it won't be done as UHD (at the moment) but if I say Alexa play playlist "Good" and the WiiM's the speaker it will play it as UHD .... if I've understood that correctly?

Brantome

Major Contributor
It becomes even more interesting if that's the case, I'm currently not on the Beta release so if I'm using the Amazon App to cast a playlist (called "Good") it won't be done as UHD (at the moment) but if I say Alexa play playlist "Good" and the WiiM's the speaker it will play it as UHD .... if I've understood that correctly?
Sorry, it’s probably because I’m on the beta that it supports that at the moment, but as the general release of AMHD casting is under two weeks away, you won’t have long to wait... Sorry again for the confusion

Brantome

Major Contributor
How do you get on the beta? Does it have he 10 band EQ?
Thanks
Use the feedback section the the Wiim app, or email WiiM support with your MAC address, to be asked to be added to the whitelist to get access to the beta firmware.

No, it doesn’t include the 10 band EQ as that would need a beta version of the app and I haven’t seen them offering such.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Are you able to get gapless and replaygain working for streaming local files from the Wiim to PiCorePlayer?
WiiM is a player just like pCP. But if you've meant gapless streaming from LMS to WiiM it's only possible with squeeze2upnp in "flow" mode at the moment.
Or if you've meant a WiiM app it's dedicated to WiiM Mini only.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Interesting review here but I think it underplays Amazon Music HD support, particularly its casting from the amazon music app, with some interesting footnotes about the Pro version

AKR

Interesting review here but I think it underplays Amazon Music HD support, particularly its casting from the amazon music app, with some interesting footnotes about the Pro version

The review says “ In late May, bit-perfect Airplay 2 arrived at CD quality”. My understanding is Airplay 2 compresses streams to the Wim Mini and only works at lossless quality if streaming to an Airport Express ( original) device.

Top Bottom