• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Bamyasi

I'm presuming it just means the laser is turning off between tracks hence the dac flashes to indicate there is no stream at that point. This may well be a feature to in fact minimise the chance of clicks & pops or just a design feature (or maybe not true "gapless" playback !! eek!! : ) )
Whatever it's fine with me & the author it seems.
It is not fine, it is cheating. Programmers do this all the time: use the simplest possible quick and dirty solution instead of developing a real one, to satisfy the customer ASAP. This is an abomination of programming craftsmanship and as such, shall be prosecuted and punished.

Bamyasi

@Scot_Douglas I don't mean to cause offence but even for me, it's hard to understand what you mean in this quote above.

So I don't blame the lovely people at WiiM for their reply.

I think you're just complaing about long gaps and pops at the start of tracks? Which they know of and will fix. I reported the same weeks ago to them and they reproduced it.
Seems that being a non-native speaker sometimes has advantages. I understand perfectly what OP was trying to say. My main system DAC (Matrix X-SABRE Pro) does not have a relay but it also shows constant signal lock cycling between tracks on its display.

Bamyasi

Hmmm. The optical LED turning off between tracks is about as big an "issue" to me as the lack of Roon support. Yawn.
I do not care about whether they cycle it, slice it or dice it. I just want to be able to listen to Amazon Music streams, uninterrupted. The way WiiM is implementing it now, I can not do this. Apart from introducing annoying pauses between tracks, my system skips about three seconds of the beginning of each track in case of 192 kHs HiRes tracks, due to extra time needed by the DAC to re-acquire signal lock.

morillon

Major Contributor
by locking the wiim in 96k 24bit... more than enough resolution... doesn't help?

adam2434

Just ordered a Wiim Mini to play around with. Once Amazon Music Unlimited using the native app is fully released, I’ll probably ditch Tidal and go with Amazon and the Wiim in multiple systems around the house.

I tried Amazon when they released HD/UHD, but the integration with Denon/Marantz Heos was poor (no personal music library). Not sure if this has changed/improved. Tidal integration in Heos is workable.

Question – does anyone know if the Wiim can remember more than one wifi network and auto-connect based on the available network?

The scenario I’m thinking here is occasionally taking the Wiim on the road for trips/vacations and using my phone’s hotspot for wifi.

Also, thanks to all the beta testers in this forum that are helping Wiim with their debugging. :)

Brantome

Major Contributor
My end-game DAC, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, has no problem with it.
My Linn MDSM/4 has no inter track click either, no matter if the resolution changes nor if I’m playing AMHD from the WiiM app or casting from the Amazon Music app.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Seems that being a non-native speaker sometimes has advantages
Sometimes but in this case i am non-native and WiiM Support are non-native.

Looking at WiiM's reply, it seems they didn't understand the issue either.

But after multiple posts, I finally understand it now.

But no issues with my 4 x DACs (no relays to click with sample rate changes)

Witterings

Hmmm. The optical LED turning off between tracks is about as big an "issue" to me as the lack of Roon support. Yawn.

Careful about publicising your thoughts on lack of Roon support in public, a few have done that and never been seen or heard from again .... I believe it's an integrated part of Illumineti's quest for world domination.
I dared to question it's value in another forum and was quite scared for a while :D:D:D

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The bitrate display also works when the Wiim is pulling tracks from my LMS server, but not when pushing from LMS to the WiiM (Android app only currently)

Screenshot 2022-07-13 4.23.58 PM.png

AndyLewis

It is not fine, it is cheating. Programmers do this all the time: use the simplest possible quick and dirty solution instead of developing a real one, to satisfy the customer ASAP. This is an abomination of programming craftsmanship and as such, shall be prosecuted and punish

Last edited:

AndyLewis

I do not care about whether they cycle it, slice it or dice it. I just want to be able to listen to Amazon Music streams, uninterrupted. The way WiiM is implementing it now, I can not do this. Apart from introducing annoying pauses between tracks, my system skips about three seconds of the beginning of each track in case of 192 kHs HiRes tracks, due to extra time needed by the DAC to re-acquire signal lock.
Strange - no probs on mine with that. Just a flicker of the DAC display - opt light, then the bit rate, then volume & off again. If my DAC had a full off display option I wouldn't even be aware it was happening.
I kind of like the bit/volume confirmation that comes up between tracks anyway.... Oh well

Last edited:

Merifon

The bitrate display also works when the Wiim is pulling tracks from my LMS server, but not when pushing from LMS to the WiiM (Android app only currently)
with Tidal too. Starting stream from Tidal connect, wiim app doesn't show bitrate. It is shown if started from wiim app itself only.
I tested Amazom music prime (lossy) also. With HD enabled, everyting is upsampled to 48/24 but the shown bitrate is about 56789 Kbit/sec. Dividing by 1000 to compensate the error with amazon, it looks strangely low but it sounds normal...

Music1969

Major Contributor
my system skips about three seconds of the beginning of each track in case of 192 kHs HiRes tracks, due to extra time needed by the DAC to re-acquire signal lock.
That's just your DAC

No such delay with RME ADI-2. This is not an issue for WiiM to fix.

Normal gapless playback is different and they are working on it.

AndyLewis

Aha - now I see the reason for your annoyance - thought it was just the flicker like mine...

Top Bottom