• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
Are there any other quality streamers that do Airplay bitperfect at 44.1khz? I only know of the Belkin (but that upsamples to 48k?) and streamer-dac combos (no clue on output, but cost goes up with features i dont want)
If you don't need Airplay2 specifically, load DietPi on a RPi

But for the issues you are having, return your WiiM Mini for another unit.

If another unit has issues , it's your WiFi.

My WiiM Mini and Airport Express run flawlessly with Airplay2 (ethernet for the AE)

Music1969

Major Contributor
I might consider subscribing to Stereophile if I can have access to that review (and if it's not a hassle to cancel the auto-renewal).
Stereophile via Zinio is pretty affordable, especially as Zinio often have sales

Sometimes 75% off. Good time to sign up for 12 month Stereophile sub.

I also do HiFi News via Zinio.

Both of those have been doing measurements longer than ASR and still going.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My Wiim review will be posted to the free-access Stereophile website the week beginning July 18. (Paid print subscribers get priority.)

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Are you keeping the WiiM Mini?

If so, I suspect you'll be doing a followup (subjective, no need to re-do measurements) when Roon Ready comes and if Qobuz Connect comes to WiiM Mini via firmware update.

Music1969

Major Contributor
For those having issue at 24/192 with WiiM Mini, JA's Stereophile review is a good reminder, it might not be the WiiM or the optical cable.

He writes that his Mark Levinson used in the reviewed doesn't work at 192kHz on TOSlink input so he had to limit WiiM Mini to 96kHz output.

So that is the DAC limitation, not WiiM Mini issue.

As I mentioned before, 96kHz is the spec for TOSlink but often theres lots of gear capable at 192kHz.

My RME ADI-2 is bit perfect up to 24/192kHz on TOSlink input

So don't be too quick to point the finger at WiiM for issues at 24/192k - check your DAC first.

morillon

Major Contributor
the wiim uses an adat "pro" approach probably on emeteur optic ... certainly costs just a little more ..
which makes it possible to exceed the 96k standard toslink.. "bypass".. and to be able to announce the "192k" ( with internal dac ..that s sure ;-) )
but dac side ... not necessarily this type of receiver so in many many many cases will be the classic 96k, which is already more than enough...
;-)
the """bitrate in "" , like "wifi status", which was the main request seems to be more topical...
too bad because in this little jungle remains one of the functions that will be the most useful...

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Minor app update
BBE1A823-F043-4CA2-9EC4-F95C60BF8DE4.jpeg

NoWorries

For those having issue at 24/192 with WiiM Mini, JA's Stereophile review is a good reminder, it might not be the WiiM or the optical cable.

He writes that his Mark Levinson used in the reviewed doesn't work at 192kHz on TOSlink input so he had to limit WiiM Mini to 96kHz output.

So that is the DAC limitation, not WiiM Mini issue.

As I mentioned before, 96kHz is the spec for TOSlink but often theres lots of gear capable at 192kHz.

My RME ADI-2 is bit perfect up to 24/192kHz on TOSlink input

So don't be too quick to point the finger at WiiM for issues at 24/192k - check your DAC first.
This is from Schiit on 24/192

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706-084606_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706-084606_Chrome.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 174

Music1969

Major Contributor
This is from Schiit on 24/192
Yeh that captures even more potential issues.

WiiM should actually post something similar on their website.

Another reason digital coax would be good with next WiiM streamer.

Can be more reliable mechanical connection and the actual spec is up to 24/192kHz (unlike TOSlink spec), so less chance of issues with most DACs (not all).

jmtocali

In my case, going up to 192k to my Topping E30 and directly to my Onkyo TX-8270 receiver

Mat

If you don't need Airplay2 specifically, load DietPi on a RPi

But for the issues you are having, return your WiiM Mini for another unit.

If another unit has issues , it's your WiFi.

My WiiM Mini and Airport Express run flawlessly with Airplay2 (ethernet for the AE)

I returned it. Support wouldn't help (they closed 1st ticket without a reply, 48+hours with the one via the app so I gave up), and based on the patch notes this thing has a plethora of skipping issues popping up. I tried a backup different-brand router and put all devices on that isolated network and it was the same problem, so wifi was never the issue.

imral3

My modi multibit has problem on 192khz it will only work on 96khz. The rest of my dac akm and ess works fine on 192khz using same optical that came from wiim.
I don't seem to have any problems playing 24/192 from AMHD through my modi multibit using an Amazon Basics optical cable. Strange indeed.

Mat

My modi multibit has problem on 192khz it will only work on 96khz. The rest of my dac akm and ess works fine on 192khz using same optical that came from wiim.
Do you have max output in the settings set to 96k?

telemike

I returned it. Support wouldn't help (they closed 1st ticket without a reply, 48+hours with the one via the app so I gave up), and based on the patch notes this thing has a plethora of skipping issues popping up. I tried a backup different-brand router and put all devices on that isolated network and it was the same problem, so wifi was never the issue.

An old Airport Express is probably your best bet for Airplay

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I used to visit the Sonos forums. Plenty of whining over there about stuttering, etc, with the sufferer almost always blaming it on Sonos. In virtually every case, though, a bit of trouble shooting would get to the root cause - almost always having to do with crappy WiFi.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have max output in the settings set to 96k?
Yes, it’s the highest I can get. I try using different optical but it won’t lock in inside wiim aside from the cable it came with it.

Top Bottom