• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
Wiim Release Notes website updated:

Known issues for AMHD (Amazon Music HD/UHD):
  • AMHD with multiple Echo or Alexa-Enabled devices isn't supported.
  • Gapless playback of AMHD isn't supported.
  • Occasional pop noise when changing tracks with different sample rates on AMHD
  • Occasionally casting a 24/192 track from the Amazon Music app is stopped unexpectedly
  • When playing AMHD from WiiM app, track is skipped occasionally

telemike

New beta:

Now we have released the new beta firmware version(4.6.421358) for Amazon Music HD/UHD Testing that you can use Amazon Music HD/UHD with Amazon Music Cast and WiiM Home app, your device will be upgraded automatically.

AyGee

New beta:

Now we have released the new beta firmware version(4.6.421358) for Amazon Music HD/UHD Testing that you can use Amazon Music HD/UHD with Amazon Music Cast and WiiM Home app, your device will be upgraded automatically.
I have received the same mail. Looks like they have added me to the beta list now. :D
I had asked several times but never got an answer.

I did not except that. Because I thought, that the public preview for Amazon Ultra HD casting was about to be released.

Last edited:

telemike

it does Alexa Cast.

Now I am able to cast from the Amazon App and my DAC is showing 192k for the Ultra HD files that are 192K on Amazon (not casting).

Last edited:

telemike

Note:

• The beta firmware doesn't support Alexa preferred speaker.
  • After the test is completed, you need to re-sign your Alexa again on your device.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Note:

• The beta firmware doesn't support Alexa preferred speaker.
  • After the test is completed, you need to re-sign your Alexa again on your device.
I think WiiM may have sent you the beta setup documentation from a few weeks back - I’m currently playing AMHD 24/96 and 24/192 via an Alexa group preferred speaker setting.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Wiim Release Notes website updated:

Known issues for AMHD (Amazon Music HD/UHD):
  • AMHD with multiple Echo or Alexa-Enabled devices isn't supported.
  • Gapless playback of AMHD isn't supported.
  • Occasional pop noise when changing tracks with different sample rates on AMHD
  • Occasionally casting a 24/192 track from the Amazon Music app is stopped unexpectedly
  • When playing AMHD from WiiM app, track is skipped occasionally
Re the first point, the beta firmware seems to support AMHD multi room but as expected only at the level of the least capable device in the group I.e. if you have the WiiM Mini in a group with a bog standard echo device (I.e. not a Studio or Link/amp), the best you’ll get in the group is HD as shown in the Alexa app as that’s all the echo(s) will support.

amper42

Major Contributor
Re the first point, the beta firmware seems to support AMHD multi room but as expected only at the level of the least capable device in the group I.e. if you have the WiiM Mini in a group with a bog standard echo device (I.e. not a Studio or Link/amp), the best you’ll get in the group is HD as shown in the Alexa app as that’s all the echo(s) will support.

Actually, if you configure a multi room setup with multiple Wiim, then Airplay2 is automatically the selected transfer method which limits audio resolution to CD quality at best. Even if your music is 192kHz it's going to be downsampled to 44kHz. If you use just one Wiim then UPnP is available for up to 192kHz support of hi-res audio files.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Actually, if you configure a multi room setup with multiple Wiim, then Airplay2 is automatically the selected transfer method which limits audio resolution to CD quality at best. Even if your music is 192kHz it's going to be downsampled to 44kHz. If you use just one Wiim then UPnP is available for up to 192kHz support of hi-res audio files.
I guess you mean the Wiim app multi room feature, not Alexa/Echo multi room as in the latter case I’d expect an alexa multiroom comprised of only WiiM Minis (and even including an echo studio or echo link/amp) to support AMHD up to 24/192 - plus Airplay is anathema to an Alexa environment.

amper42

Major Contributor
I guess you mean the Wiim app multi room feature, not Alexa/Echo multi room as in the latter case I’d expect an alexa multiroom comprised of only WiiM Minis (and even including an echo studio or echo link/amp) to support AMHD up to 24/192 - plus Airplay is anathema to an Alexa environment.

I don't use Alexa but in my hands on tests using the Wiim app my 192kHz samples were always downsampled to CD quality when multiple-room playback was setup. Using a single Wiim mini allowed 192kHz to pass to the DAC.

No matter what app you use for multi-room, the transfer will be sent via airplay and limited to CD resolution. Until Airplay2 supports 192kHz that will remain the case. If you have proof that multi-room can be played back in 192kHz with any configuration please describe it in detail so I can test it. Thank you!

hitechakias

Maybe he is using Tidal Connect and he has attached a DAC to the optical output of the WiiM that can handle MQA x8.
My connections: Tidal Connect>Wiim Streamer output via optical using a QED Reference Optical Quartz Cable connected to a LOXJIE D40 Dac. On the dac the Mqa Blue lights and showing 352..since the original file is 352 too then...the streamer can output more than 192 via optical...at least I can confirm it... if no other does then my guess the glass fiber can pass such signal..at least in my case.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I don't use Alexa but in my hands on tests using the Wiim app my 192kHz samples were always downsampled to CD quality when multiple-room playback was setup. Using a single Wiim mini allowed 192kHz to pass to the DAC.

No matter what app you use for multi-room, the transfer will be sent via airplay and limited to CD resolution. Until Airplay2 supports 192kHz that will remain the case. If you have proof that multi-room can be played back in 192kHz with any configuration please describe it in detail so I can test it. Thank you!

Sorry, I can’t offer you ”proof” beyond my long experience with Alexa (which you admit you don’t use) and previous comments here where I’ve posted from Amazon developer blogs which explain that Alexa multi room is handled over wifi (using a prime sender and multiple receiver model) and that alexa multi room music is delivered at a level that all devices in the group can support, so if they all have the capability of playing 24/192, then that’s what they’ll play in an Alexa multi room group.

Amazon devices very definitely do not support or use airplay for multi room - WiiM may do that for their implementation of WiiM multi room, Amazon do not. So your statement about “no matter what app you use” isn’t correct, I’m afraid.

If you have two WiiM Minis, set them up in the alexa app in an echo multiroom group and play some AMHD UHD tracks to demonstrate what I say - I unfortunately only have one.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
My connections: Tidal Connect>Wiim Streamer output via optical using a QED Reference Optical Quartz Cable connected to a LOXJIE D40 Dac. On the dac the Mqa Blue lights and showing 352..since the original file is 352 too then...the streamer can output more than 192 via optical...at least I can confirm it... if no other does then my guess the glass fiber can pass such signal..at least in my case.
So, in my limited understanding of MQA, it's a (highly) compressed format. The WiiM may be putting out the MUCH lower compressed data through the optical cable, equivalent to perhaps 24/48, which the DAC then "unfolds" to the original format, and your DAC displays. WiiM have stated that their maximum is 24/192.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

From the 2L site, the "original resolution" MQA file is considerably smaller than even a 24/96 file.

1656445847002.png

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Copied that “original resolution” MQA file to my LMS server. It plays on my non-MQA DAC at 24/44.1, both on the WiiM Mini and my Raspberry Pi Squeezelite client. So, the WiiM isn’t performing any magic tricks.

AE75B952-7362-4AFE-A55E-23653BA0E8E6.jpeg

Turambar

Not exactly. ;)

Tidal is using compressed FLAC files as Master. They are normally 44.1 / 48 kHz either 16 bits or 24 bits. Your file is most probably 44.1 kHz / 24 bits. This is what get transferred from WiiM Mini to the DAC. Then, in the DAC itself, upsampling is performed according to MQA instructions embedded in the FLAC file. The DAC you mention should be MQA x8, that means 44.1 * 8 = 352.8 kHz. And this is what gets displayed.

Top Bottom